Dredd 3D pep helmet - files now available

Moving along quickly!

I did a lot more sanding, and am now about ready to start building up the details.

My blue markings are NOT carefully done or to be used as actual guide lines. They were just to give me a general idea of where the details would be.

The color variations you see there are different layers of resin. Each coat was tinted differently, so that I would know how far through I had gone... areas that are light grey are into the last coat of resin, so sanding needs to stop there before I go all the way through.

It came out pretty symmetrical overall, with only minor areas to adjust.

How are you going to tackle the raised panels? I was thinking of taping on a styrene sheet around the edges of the area to be raised, then filling up to the top with bondo, and tapering it towards the edges of the helmet. Not sure if that makes sense...

I was thinking of taping on a styrene sheet around the edges of the area to be raised, then filling up to the top with bondo, and tapering it towards the edges of the helmet. Not sure if that makes sense...

I've been wondering how to tackle that. Sounds like a great solution!

I don't think the raised section is that thick I'm just planning on taping the unraised portion and adding good layer of bondo to untaped portion.

Yes, I was thinking about 2mm styrene sheet - thin enough to conform to curves, thick enough so you can sand it back where needed.

Ya that sounds about right i thought to myself after i posted that you were gonna have a thin sheet and probly wanted extra to sand off. I still think masking tape is the way to go so you can apply firm pressure without worrying about it creeping under the styrene or crushing it... But i would love to see another way done.

You are right - masking tape would be good. I was thinking one thickness, but if you laid several down on top of each other, you could trim them to a sharp edge and bondo against that.

I'm planning to build a border out of Apoxie Sculpt and then fill with bondo. I thought about using more of the styrene that I made the first model out of, but I think it would be hard to get it to conform to the curves just right.

I've started working on the cleanup / detailing of the face. I've got to straighten out the curves a bit on the sides... I want them flatter. But in general it's coming along nicely.

Last edited:
Awesome thread guys. Got me motivated to start mine tonight with the pep. This will be my second after doing a magneto helmet. Learned a lot, so this time hopefully will be easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Here you go...

VERY happy with how it came out.

You can see more pics here:
Dredd 2012 Helmet - a set on Flickr

For my first time using this sort of thing I have to say it was pretty awesome. Easy to work with, great way to get the size/shape down... While I changed some bits to suit my own tastes, the Pep file base shaved weeks off of the build for sure.

I think if there was a Mac version of Pepakura I'd probably use it a lot more often!

Beautiful work! Looks superb. It's a real pleasure to see these finished helmets, and thanks for sharing all the photos along the way.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back