Dredd 3D pep helmet - files now available

Thanks for the encouragement blaxmyth and jolive.

Okay so I just took some more photos of the fibreglassed pep and oh brother! I can see a lot of sanding and reshaping in my not too distant future :)

before_after-01.jpg

As you might be able to see from the pic above, bracing the cheeks while the fibreglass dried has lined up the edge of the cheek with the brow better than it was.

DSC_8254-1.jpg

But it still looks like the helmet has a bruised cheek!
DSC_8260-1.jpg

No it was just me gluing the pep wrong. As I've said before this was my first attempt at all of these techniques.
Can't wait to get in to sculpting the Bondo, at least that will be familiar territory.

I'm just wondering if I sand a hole in the cheek can I Bondo the outside and re-fibreglass the inside?

DSC_8255-1.jpg

DSC_8256-1.jpg

DSC_8257.jpg

I can't believe how misshapen this is. Really hoping the bondo stage lets me fix these mistakes.
DSC_8258.jpg

I would be happy to start from scratch again but I'm not giving up on this until it crumbles to dust in my hands!

I hope to be able to start the bondo process this weekend, so I'll post more photos then.

Last edited:
First off, this is looking good and quite salvageable.

Couple of points - you are correct in that if you sand a hole in the pep, just slap some fibreglass inside and bondy it on the outside. I've done this more than once...

Another thing - lots of thin coats of bondy are best - it is very easy to get carried away and spread too thick a layer, then have to spend ages sanding it back. Trust me on this - three thin layers will take less time and work than one thick layer! (I learned this the hard way...)

Look for sandpaper that is advertised as non-clogging - here in New Zealand it is branded No-Fil - use a sanding block, with hardly any pressure and rapid strokes - this one thing saved me a ton of cash. I was wearing out the sandpaper too quick because I was putting pressure on as I sanded. As soon as I stopped pushing down into the work, the dust started flying off the piece and my paper lasted a lot longer. (Took me decades to learn that...)

Anyway, thanks for posting the pics, and I look forward to seeing many more.

Cheers, Phil

"Bondo" phase starts!
IMG_20130201_122118.jpg

I can't tell if I've used too much or not enough.
I guess less is better than more.
IMG_20130201_122103.jpg

Either way, I'm going to sand later today.

Need to work out the best way to trim the excess fibreglass...
Quick! To the Google machine!

Last edited:
The bog looks about right!

Trimming the overhang is easy with a dremel. Or you can use a belt sander. I've been using a little Black and Decker 4" belt sander with good results.

Re sanding the bog - wait till it is fully cured otherwise it'll clog the sandpaper no matter what you do. I see you're in Melbourne, so a similar climate to here, so youll get quick curing. In colder months I use an insulated box with a lightbulb inside to speed the curing process.

Really enjoying these progress photos!

I see you're in Melbourne, so a similar climate to here, so youll get quick curing.

Yeah the Bog was going off like a frog in a sock! Glad I only made small batches, one heaped tablespoon at a time.
Even then it was curing pretty quickly.

So I've done the first sanding of the Bog layer and it's showing a lot of the bumps and divits is sharp relief.
IMG_20130203_183647-e1359928773804.jpg

IMG_20130203_183631-e1359928733310.jpg

IMG_20130203_183622-e1359928811461.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
And so the saga continues...
Second layer of Bog and some more*sanding. Finally have it at a point I can really see what I'm doing.
I need to get my hands on a Dremel so I can cut the excess fibreglass from around the eyes.
wpid-IMG_20130210_110533.jpg

These areas need to be built up.
wpid-IMG_20130210_110544.jpg

Shaded areas need sanding.
wpid-IMG_20130210_110643.jpg

wpid-IMG_20130210_110623.jpg

So tempted to draw eyes and teeth :)
wpid-IMG_20130210_110709.jpg

Can anyone recommend a way to hold this thing in position while I sand? At the moment I'm just bracing it against my leg with one hand and trying to sand with the other. Just doesn't feel like the best solution.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I've never played with Pep before, but I decided to give it a go. I took a different approach than usual, and so far I'm pretty happy with it. Here's what I've done so far.

I used 0.040 HIPS to build the model, vs. paper/card stock.

I taped it together with masking tape on the outside of the plastic vs. glue. As part of this I also cut off of all of the assembly tabs.

I slush cast Smoothcast 325 resin in the helmet and let it cure.

Then I peeled the plastic off, leaving me a rough resin helmet to work with.

Here are the pics so far:

Starting to peel off the plastic...

There will be a lot of cleanup to do of course, but so far the experiment seems to have been fun :)

Not sure if this is your final stage of bog but you may want to consider building up the trim (red part if you will)

Not even close to the final stage :)
I think I have two or three more goes with the bog before I build up the trim.

I really feel like I made a botch job of putting the pep together. If I'd taken my time on the pep stage I probably would have saved more time on the Bog stage.

But first shot is a learning experience.

I've never played with Pep before, but I decided to give it a go. I took a different approach than usual, and so far I'm pretty happy with it. Here's what I've done so far.

I used 0.040 HIPS to build the model, vs. paper/card stock.

I taped it together with masking tape on the outside of the plastic vs. glue. As part of this I also cut off of all of the assembly tabs.

I slush cast Smoothcast 325 resin in the helmet and let it cure.

Then I peeled the plastic off, leaving me a rough resin helmet to work with.
Great start! Wish my pep had looked that good when I started ;)
Can't wait to see the finished product.

Just started the pep phase today and completed the top (or crown) of the helmet if you will. I wanted to do more, but rLife got in the way.

This is my first build ever so it should be a blast. :D

I finished peeling the plastic off and hit it with an electric sander for a few minutes before work today...

So far, so good! Shown here with a quick coat of still-wet primer applied.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back