Dredd 3D pep helmet - files now available

You know I simply removed the border and added the red part.
But I guess Dung0Beetle and Blaxmyth won't raise any objection...

Re: Dredd 3D pep helmet - feedback sought

Just downloaded this. Looks simpler than Fierfek's Stormtrooper helmet as a first shot at building anything like this.

Thanks to you an Dung0Beetle for the fine work.
Fingers crossed I don't screw it up ;)

Don't worry about stuff ups! I have probably assembled three or four items for every one I've completed.

I see you are new to pep, so here's what I wish I hadn't had to learn the hard way:

1. Use really good quality PVA, applied with a toothpick to the tabs. Go for the type that builders use - should have 'aliphatic cross-bonding' somewhere on the label - it's got a grip like a money-lender's dog!

2. Score the tabs with the back of a knife blade. Practice on some spare card first.

3. For valley folds, make a small hole in each end of the fold with a pin, then score the line from the other side, using the pin holdes as a guide. (I know it takes longer, but the fold is much crisper.

4. Score all of the lines before cutting the pieces out.

5. Narrower tabs are easier to work with and cause less distortion. They are easier to sand or cover on the finished product.

6. Use a needle and thread to pull misaligned parts into their proper place when you are resinning the finished pep.

Have fun! :D

Last edited:
This is awesome. I've started two other helmets, this one looks slightly more accurate regarding the the cross section under the badge to the 2012 Dredd version. I've just downloaded the file and I look forward to building this one as well :cheers
Here are the two i've already started on, Just need to start the fibreglassing process etc.
Credit goes to stilgarhammer for the 1995 Judge Dredd helmet and the Dredd helmet would i be correct this is dung0beetle pep file? I found it on another thread but there was no credit to it... :confused

Downloaded this file a week or so ago and just doing some research as this will be my first. Definitely looking forward to it, thanks!

Just signed up to here after seeing this. File downloaded hoping to start on it when work time permits next week. Thanks for posting the pep file!

Just resined my Dredd helmet!
Things I wish I'd paid more attention to:
  1. Score and pre-bend ALL folds first!
  2. Practice with the glue gun first
  3. Never drop your freshly resined pep on a dusty workshop floor
IMG_20130126_112540-225x300.jpg

Thanks again to Dung0Beetle and Blaxmyth for the amazing file.

Last edited:
@stefwill, Ya this file is amazing...only way i could've gotten all my friends to be judges for sdcc. Yours is looking great i half assed mine and it looks great, there's so much body filler and stuff that needs to be added i doubt the need for more attention.

Looking good! Nothing wrong with it. One modification I'm getting round to doing is to make the two 'bridges' from the cheeks to the ends of the 'X' into stiffened prisms. Otherwise I suggest you glue on a popsicle stick to stiffen them up. My one suffered from some distortion and I've got to redo it.

Dropped into the dust? Yep, done that as well.

:thumbsup

Just resined my Dredd helmet!
Things I wish I'd paid more attention to:
  1. Score and pre-bend ALL folds first!
  2. Practice with the glue gun first
  3. Never drop your freshly resined pep on a dusty workshop floor
IMG_20130126_112540-225x300.jpg

Thanks again to Dung0Beetle and Blaxmyth for the amazing file.

Thanks jolive and blaxmyth.
Yeah both of the reinforcing prisms came unglued during the resining process. This is more the fault of the gluer than the glue ;)
Lining up the cheeks for fibreglassing is going to be fun...

Now I'm off to fibreglass this puppy!

Just before you start the fibreglassing, how about using some hot dog sticks to align the cheeks?
I've done this before by using thread to sew the stick to an area that I wanted to bend, then using thread or wire to tension the stick so it warped the part into the correct place, then gently fibreglassed it with a light layer of cloth.
Once it's set, you can cut the thread and sand any hardened bits of thread or stick away.
Just a thought. Good luck!

Thanks for the tip Blaxmyth, I'll give that a shot.
Only got to do one row of fibreglass (Nose cross to the back of the helmet) before the spawnling woke up from her afternoon nap.
IMG_20130127_182028-224x300.jpg

As you can see, it is wonky as hell at the moment, hope I can staighten it up in the fibreglassing process.
So just hoping that doing the fibreglass over a few days isn't going to effect the outcome.

Last edited:
No, polyester resin is OK (in my experience) if the coats are within a few days.

You can also use a heat gun to soften and reshape fibreglass, within limits.

Great thing about pep is that there isn't much wasted apart from time and some resin if things do go wonky. Plus bondo (known as 'bog' in NZ) fixes most things, lots of thin coats sanded well.

Number one rule - it's a hobby, so have fun!

Finished fibreglassing tonight!
I’m amazed at how tough the fibreglass is, never having worked with it before this is an amazing experience.
I’m hoping the wonky cheek will be fixed by bracing the helmet while the fibreglass and resin sets.
DSC_8249-300x201.jpg

With luck the fibreglass will set in close to the correct position and then the smoothing with Builder’s Bog can begin!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back