my Ghostbusters props

I've had the red Iona shoe polisher for a while, but lucked into a great price on the green one recently.

DSC00378.JPG

Seemed like a nice seasonal photo to share.

Alex

Youve earned it.jpg

I've owned the correct brand of camera for a few years, but in 2012 I posted this pic to my FB and asked if anyone knew the correct portable VCR seen hanging off Aykroyd's shoulder. No one ever replied. Following a thread on GBFans, I eventually bought a Panasonic unit that was close but by no means movie-accurate.

Then in March of 2016, a thread on the GBFans forums listed a possible correct Quasar model. A second person replied and said they'd found a model that was almost identical, only one button was different (and that identifying detail allegedly cannot be gleaned from the movie footage or known stills.)

I put both model numbers into my followed searches on eBay, and nothing ever popped up for either until a couple of weeks ago. I made an offer that was 20 bucks less than the asking price, and the seller agreed.

DSC00381.JPG

Alas, it is missing the shoulder strap, but hopefully someday I will come up with something that works.

DSC00382.JPG

If you listen carefully in the film, when Murray is talking to Jennifer in the foreground, the loose end of the camera's plug is apparently trailing the ground as Aykroyd bustles about getting together his equipment to take to the library. It makes a very recognizable ringing, rolling sound.

DSC00383.JPG

Nice of Panasonic and Quasar to use compatible designs.

DSC00387.JPG

Any suggestions on a replacement strap?

Alex

Last edited:
I'm making a slight detour here away from Ghostbusters props, but I didn't feel like these warranted their own new thread. And as you will see in the second episode, this little tale does veer into the "Alabama Ghostbusters" world, as one of the props is made by my friend Cam, who I first met through Ghostbusting, and I traded him a Mattel GB figure for it.

I know these plastic items aren't as impressive as some of the amazing JP prop replicas that some folks here have, but I just wanted to share the story of how I finally 'completed' a prop that my late father began for me in 1993.

Alex

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 778879

Any suggestions on a replacement strap?

And, about five weeks later, I seem to have sourced one.

Another Quasar VH5300SE came up for auction-- on the morning of my birthday no less.

I clicked on the link in my email alert, skimmed the pics, saw that it had a hard-to-see strap attached, and made a lowball offer.

Strap ref 0.jpg

About an hour later the seller happily accepted said offer and invoiced me.

Mind you, I had to buy the VCR again, plus the included tuner and a Quasar video camera from that era, so the shipping was still murder on the ol' wallet, but...

Strap ref collage.jpg

It *does* appear to be the correct strap as seen in the film. Plus, this one came with the battery, whereas the first one did not.

View attachment The Stantz Strap.jpg
The elusive Stantz Strap

And the second VCR is a real beater, whereas the strapless one was very pristine, so in the final analysis, I'm glad I bought both.

Maybe I can gut the second for a lighter 'stunt' piece and just use the pristine one for my 'hero'.

Alex

Last edited:
Here's a pic of my son Zak modeling the Panasonic PK-750 with the Quasar VH5300SE (and a Gloverall jacket).

DSC00533d.jpg

And here's the saga of all the missteps in trying to identify these items.

Alex

Attachments

• DSC00510d.jpg
    DSC00510d.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 143
  • DSC00533b.jpg
    DSC00533b.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
We just watched Temple of Doom over the holiday break and my kids (who all love Ghostbusters) recognized Dan Aykroyd from his voice! Proud father moment. I did have to point out Club Obi-Wan though...

My oldest has definitely gotten my gene for spotting obscure actors/actresses in other works. He once swore an actress in an episode of Three's Company had been in an episode of Bewitched. I looked up the two episodes in question, and he was right... and the actress only had those two credits, plus a third one, to her name!

Alex

A recap of my previous "Louis's Apartment" set dressing props... plus two new ones.

Alex

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back