Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    May 24, 2013, 1:50 PM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #26

Alex
  2. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Jun 2, 2013, 12:14 PM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #27

One of the more esoteric Ghostbusters props... Egon's Gamma Rate Meter.

It can be seen in the hotel scenes:

And when they briefly think they've neutronized Gozer:

I've had a non-accurate one for a year or so, which I carried in a black camera pouch on my belt because it was so pristine looking (seen at left below).

But now I found a beater 'Minirad' off eBay for only a couple dollars more than what an unpainted recast would have cost me.

I added a belt clip from an old tape measure. It's too small compared to the one in the film, which appears to have a 2" x 3" sized clip added, but it will do for now.

And I printed my own label to replace the missing instructions on the battery cover.

Alex
    Last edited by DocNewborn; Nov 26, 2014 at 9:40 AM.
    From
    Fishkill, NY
    Jun 7, 2013, 12:12 PM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #28

you have a lot of awesome items!!! I plan on getting a GB2 flightsuit soon, and my preference would be the GB1 logo patch
  4. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Jun 15, 2013, 12:35 AM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #29

allosaur176 said: View Post
    my preference would be the GB1 logo patch
    Thanks for looking! Glad I'm not the only one who likes the GB1 patch on the gray suit. My patches will hopefully be affixed next week.

In the meantime, I got a really good deal on a yellow voltmeter similar to the one that can be seen in a few places in the movie, mainly Egon holding it just before Peck comes down into the firehall basement.

Alex
    Last edited by DocNewborn; Nov 23, 2014 at 1:01 AM.
  5. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Jun 28, 2013, 11:12 AM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #30

Newest arrival...

Purchased from the same guy who makes the shell I'm using... Vincenzo330 at GBFans.

Alex
    Last edited by DocNewborn; Nov 26, 2014 at 9:43 AM.
    From
    Fishkill, NY
    Jun 28, 2013, 1:03 PM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #31

That's slick!!! I would like to upgrade my wand to aluminum one day
  7. RPF Premium Member EmmaInCandyland's Avatar
    From
    France & Scotland
    Jun 28, 2013, 2:46 PM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #32

Awesome collection! And omg you met Ernie Hudson! I had the pleasure to meet him too! He's such a nice guy and really available too

I cosplayed as Ramona here! haha

From
    Fishkill, NY
    Jun 30, 2013, 2:18 PM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #33

Great pic Emma!! Hopefully one day I will get to meet him
  9. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Jul 1, 2013, 8:55 PM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #34

Agreed, he is very available. I've met Ernie Hudson twice now, but the second time I didn't get any personal pics with him, mainly because he was not wearing his flightsuit that day.

We are both in this group shot, however, along with my son and Brandon and several more friends of mine.

And I have some video of us chatting informally but I'm sitting on the fence whether to post it or not. He tells a great anecdote, but I never asked his permission to post it.

Here's a great pic from that same day, snapped by Robin Shelby's hubby Sean Spence.

And then there was this:

Another celeb in attendance that day was Gil Gerard, someone I had tried to interview about his participation in a Star Tours TV special back when I wrote a 17-page article on the history of the attraction for Star Wars Insider magazine. Alas, LFL had no contact info for Buck Rogers, go figure.

The most stressful part of the day was misplacing my still camera right after getting that pic made with my childhood idol. I retraced my steps and asked everyone if they'd seen it, including Gil, who said he definitely saw me leave with it. About twenty tense minutes later, I dumped out the contents of the bag my son was carrying-- with the autographs and photos and spare tapes and batteries for all the cameras-- and there was the still camera in a pocket I'd already checked.

When I passed Gil's table later, he looked up from signing for someone and called out, "Did you ever find your camera?"

It dawned on me later, there were nearly 30 people there that day dressed in the same khaki flightsuit I was wearing, so kudos to GG for caring enough to distinguish us all from one another.

Alex
    Last edited by DocNewborn; Nov 23, 2014 at 1:08 AM.
  10. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Jul 2, 2013, 10:46 PM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #35

Spent a few hours tonight drilling and tapping the metal thrower, and test-fitting some of the trim pieces.

Alex
    Last edited by DocNewborn; Nov 24, 2014 at 2:46 PM.
  11. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Jul 19, 2013, 2:25 PM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #36

Doing a parade later tonight, my first one. The metal thrower is still lacking some parts, so I went back to the resin one for the time being.

BUT the sound card and speakers are all installed!

Alex
    From
    Fishkill, NY
    Jul 19, 2013, 2:40 PM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #37

Make sure you take lots of pics tonight!
  13. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Jul 21, 2013, 1:06 AM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #38

I've only got a couple that were taken during the parade itself, found online, but I've got some before and after pics.

My youngest wearing the now-even-heavier pack for the first time since the speakers were added:

My eldest showing off his own flightsuit for the first time:

Me:

Khaki-wearing group shot:

That's me at left, Brandon driving his car, my boys closest to it, Brandon's wife Lindsey (in Slimer) and his brother Matt (in Brandon's proton pack), and two more guys named Adam and Andrew:

This was the W.C. Handy Parade, which kicks off a week long celebration here in Florence AL.

We were hot and tired by the end of it. Brandon drove us back over to where we'd parked. My proton pack had lost a 'banjo' screw at some point... the last thing I had repaired that morning, of course... so the red hose at the tip of the gun is dangling free.

Big thanks to Brandon for inviting me to march, and extending his invitation to my sons at the last minute as well. We're all very tired here:

When I was unloading my own car at home, I dropped my custom-painted PKE Meter on the driveway and knocked a deep chip out of the paint. Dang it.

Now back to finishing my aluminum thrower.

Alex
    Last edited by DocNewborn; Nov 26, 2014 at 9:45 AM.
  14. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Aug 19, 2013, 9:07 PM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #39

Haven't done an update here in a while...

My GB2-style suit with the full gear for the first time. With the speakers added, the pack is currently weighing an even 30lbs.

The same issue of People Magazine that Janine is reading when we first see her.

The article she was reading when Egon climbed out from under her desk.

Ironically, the REAL mayor of New York in 1984, the Hon. Ed Koch, can just barely be glimpsed in the movie when Janine folds her pages backwards.

Sort of a little goof there. In the GB movie continuity, the mayor of New York is named Lenny (Leonard Clotch if I remember the novel correctly) and is played by David Margulies in both films.

Fun ad for The Making of Thriller found in this issue.

~~~

I have been watching the original movie on the 4K Blu-Ray a lot lately, and just like many other GB fans who've built packs, now my eyes keep going to the tiny details.

It's sort of ironic... in order to really understand how to build a proton pack, you must first build a proton pack!

Anyway, I had always been unhappy with my decision to clip the solder lugs off of this Sage resistor on the ion arm...

... and after spotting the solder lug visible in this shot of Dan Aykroyd (on a Dale resistor instead of a Sage)...

... I decided to replace it.

While I was placing the resistor order with GBFans.com Shop, I went ahead and got several others for some additional projects.

The same day these arrived, I also got something else in the mail...

... so I'm beginning work on an Aura Video-Analyzer helmet. Sometimes known as a Keymaster colander. I just need to source some of the other resistors.

Anybody got some Sage m50w's lying around?

I'll take Dale RH50's too. I have a friend who is doing a parallel build of this same prop.

~~~

UPDATE! I forgot to report that I found the rest of the resistors I needed at MultiMediaMayhem.net

Here's the current state of the Aura-Video-Analyzer helmet. I also replaced the first colander with a handle-less strainer.

Alex
    Last edited by DocNewborn; Nov 26, 2014 at 9:46 AM.
  15. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Aug 28, 2013, 1:45 PM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #40

New acquisition:

It's Egon's PC-4 calculator and interface, best seen in this shot:

I've got the right camera, I've got a PKE meter...

If I could just get a Bacharach sniffer, I could visit the firehouse in New York and re-shoot their TV commercial.

Alex
    Last edited by DocNewborn; Nov 23, 2014 at 11:34 AM.
  16. Member Since
    Jul 2012
    From
    Berlin
    Aug 28, 2013, 3:21 PM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #41

Great Work!!!
  17. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Oct 8, 2013, 6:15 AM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #42

I now have the Panasonic NV-8410 recorder unit to go with my PK-750 camera.

The one for the movie was modified by removing the handle and attaching straps directly to the unit. It was also seemingly painted to obscure the logos.

I just got it, so haven't yet begun to tackle any similar conversion. For now, I'm just keeping it in its leather carrying case.

Oh, and I also recently got an Izod shirt like Aykroyd wears at the beginning of the movie.

Still need a better blue shirt, and then the green jacket he wears to the library. But it's a start.

Alex
    Last edited by DocNewborn; Nov 23, 2014 at 11:49 AM.
  18. RPF Premium Member Psicorp7's Avatar
    From
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Oct 8, 2013, 9:55 AM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #43

WOW! Great stuff man!
    Thanks for sharing!
    From
    Sweden
    Oct 8, 2013, 10:22 AM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #44

DocNewborn said: View Post
    If I could just get a Bacharach sniffer, I could visit the firehouse in New York and re-shoot their TV commercial.
    A swedish guy has the real screenused sniffer.
  20. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Oct 9, 2013, 12:28 PM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #45

Mental image of the Swedish Chef replacing Bill Murray in that scene.

"That's the bedroom but nothing ever happened in there."
    "Whǿt n crǿmn!"

I'd love to chat with someone that has a screen-used item and discuss its provenance. Got any more info about this one?

Alex
  21. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Oct 11, 2013, 9:35 AM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #46

Got this in the mail the other day. There are always a ton on eBay, so bide your time and you can get one pretty cheap.

I was surprised how large and heavy it was. I showed it to my youngest and asked if he recognized it.

He was holding his school-issued iPad at the time, and simply nodded, then instantly pulled up Howard Hunstberry's version of "Higher and Higher".

Alex
    Last edited by DocNewborn; Nov 23, 2014 at 11:52 AM.
    Oct 11, 2013, 3:04 PM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #47

DocNewborn said: View Post
    Mental image of the Swedish Chef replacing Bill Murray in that scene.

"That's the bedroom but nothing ever happened in there."
    "Whǿt n crǿmn!"

I'd love to chat with someone that has a screen-used item and discuss its provenance. Got any more info about this one?

Alex
    Michael Gross auctioned it off through PIH a few years ago.
  23. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Oct 17, 2013, 8:36 AM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #48

Right after dropping off some pieces of my metal gun to be welded, I was invited to march in the UNA Parade. (UNA stands for University of North Alabama, not Unlicensed Nuclear Accelerator.)

My wand light and sound kits, and their attendant wires and switches, had all been removed from my resin gun to be put into the metal one. But, with insufficient time to complete the aluminum gun, I reassembled the resin one without lights or sound. I installed non-functional switches from some leftover and broken ones, and in fact used about 85% duplicate pieces which were not slated to be used on the metal gun. I put the pack lights into standalone mode and controlled them via the main power toggle on the switch bracket.

So I was remarkably calm when the gun shook free from the V-hook as my youngest and I jogged to catch up to Brandon's Ecto at one point. I scooped up the three chunks it had broken into, tugged the fortuitously empty loom tubing out of the mousehole of the pack, and kept right on marching. Had the switches been connected, I'd have had to take off the entire pack.

My youngest looked at the parts lying on the front seat of Ecto and said, "Oh no, now you'll never have it ready in time for Hallowe'en!" I said it was just the backup gun, it wasn't even going to be used this Hallowe'en, but his comment kept rolling through my head so I decided to show him just how fast and easy the repair to this 'stunt thrower' would be. As I'm still awaiting some parts for my metal thrower, it didn't postpone that work.

I worked on it some on Monday and Tuesday, and by Tuesday night had it back to almost exactly how it looked on Saturday morning before the Parade. The only thing I didn't repair were some broken heatsink fins, although I do have an extra aluminum heatsink if I ever decide to grind the resin one completely off.

The parts that aren't attached are the ones that I don't have spares for, which will be transferred to the metal 'hero gun' soon. Everything else you see assembled on that gun is all duplicate parts, usually of lesser quality than the ones I've set aside for the other gun. I mean, if you're ever gonna drop your gun on the pavement, that was the day you wanted it to happen.

Alex
    Last edited by DocNewborn; Nov 26, 2014 at 9:50 AM.
    Oct 17, 2013, 9:21 AM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #49

AMAZING! Love absolutely everything about this, dedication!
  25. Member Since
    Aug 2011
    Oct 26, 2013, 10:31 AM - Re: my Ghostbusters props #50

On Monday, I got my trigger box/instrument bar back from being welded...

By Thursday, it was looking like this:

I had a screening of Ghostbusters to attend at the Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville AL (where they shot some of the movie SpaceCamp) on Thursday night, but I was awaiting a set of grips from a seller named Venky and some hat lights from the GBFans Shop, so by about 2pm it looked like I was going to be using the 'Mark I' resin gun again, seen at bottom, with no wand lights installed.

But this little bundle was in my mailbox, which left me three and a half hours to get all the lights installed in the metal gun for the first time.

Somehow, I just managed to get every switch and light and wire into place and departed on time for the 70 mile drive, arriving ten minutes before the movie started. Here are the same guns, Mark I still on bottom, Mark II on top, with everything transferred that it was possible to do. Unfortunately the resin front grip is incompatible with my metal front tube. They both have the 'lock' block attached, and I didn't want to cut it off the resin grip, so I just went with no grips.

My friend Jud Hudson was glad to see me and my sons arrive, as he was the only other person dressed in costume.

Now I'm just hoping those grips will arrive in time enough to install them for Hallowe'en! I also need to strengthen the pack around the V-hook mount, as it's got a lot more wiggle now that there's a substantially heavier gun hanging off it.

Oh, and did I mention I fried my soundboard? So that will likely need to be replaced whenever they're back in stock, which probably won't be until 2014.

Alex
    Last edited by DocNewborn; Nov 24, 2014 at 2:50 PM.