Highlander swords: please help the new guy

slygg

Hi, I'm new here, and need some help from real pros.
I'm a long term fan of Highlander saga, first movie as well as tv show, and I always wanted to have Ramirez/Connor katana, as well as Duncan Macleod katana.
Recently I've searched for these subjects, and found some swords at Amazon for sale, by "United cuttlery". But they are so cheap, $50-$60, I'm afraid that it'll be very unwise investment.
After all, one wants to get something good for his money, not just something...
So, if I'd wanted to get not just a model that looks good on the wall from the far side of the room, but something beautiful and pretty real, good quality sword, where could I get that kind of swords?
Thanks!

Hi there & welcome to the RPF.

For the best Highlander swords, do a search for threads containing 'highlander' in the title, started by member irishamericanlad :thumbsup

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the board. :thumbsup

The United Cutlery swords (while not 100% accurate) are really nice swords. Their blades are folded and some even come with Damascus steel blades. For a beginning collector they are better than the previously offered swords by Marto of Spain, and somewhat cheaper in price. $50-$60 sounds a bit to cheap though. They generally retail for around $150 for the folded blades and $250 for the Damascus blades. Here is a link directly to Kit Rae's website so you can see what they look like a little better. If the ones on Amazon are different in ANY way I would stay away from them ans they are cheap copies you can get for $20.00 anywhere, including your local flea market.

KRDS Projects4

Kit Rae also made a really nice version of the Kurgan Sword. This also goes for about $150 - $200. Here is the link to Kit Rae's page for that one.

KRDS Projects4

If you are wanting to spend more and get a more accurate representation of the swords there are a few choices. irishamericanladwill more than likely be chiming in as soon as he sees this thread. He has some really nice blades, including Mario Van Pebbles sword from Highlander 3. There is also a guy that makes the TV series blade from season one of the show. After that they just started using the sword from Marto, so if you wanted a perfect copy of that, get the Marto or the UC Kit Rae as it was a straight copy of the Marto. They both run between $150 and $200 depending were you get them.

As for the Season one sword, you can find a copy of that here.

Musashi Katana

One last thing with these swords, if you see a colored plastic jewel on the side of ANY of the hilts of any sword you are thinking about, run, dont walk away from that sale page. Those are nothing but cheap junk that you will not be happy with and most times are way over priced. If you are only looking to drop $20 on a sword, then just get one to start so you can see what I mean.

Hope this is helpful. :cheers

Avolow.

Last edited:
I can vouch for the United Cutlery Swords.
Got the connor version, signed by lambert for my 30th this year from my wife.

It's an idealised version. So whilst not 100% accurate to any one particular movie - it takes all the best qualities from all 3 movies.

I'm really pleased with, it's balanced, weighted perfectly, and looks stunning, pics enclosed.

7859326572_497fe84b6e_c.jpg

7859327690_f0f9d08208_c.jpg

7859327096_c11eace6c9_c.jpg

7859328286_ec9772c789_z.jpg

Irishamericanlad here can hook you up

He and Sal are together now and irish is a Panzer Licensee.

He can take care of ALL of your Highlander needs

Just want to clear up some things in your post, The United Cutlery swords are nice wall hangers but nothing more.

Kit Raes Kurgan, if they are even still being offered, will be eclipsed by Darryls when he gets done with it as he has had the Screen-used original to work from

Sal D"Aquila did the original First season sword of hte Dragon of the Series in Season 2 Marto cut a deal to supply that sword to the series and is different than the first season one.

The current Martos do NOT represent AT ALL what was seen on that Series now

Hello and welcome to the board. :thumbsup

The United Cutlery swords (while not 100% accurate) are really nice swords. Their blades are folded and some even come with Damascus steel blades. For a beginning collector they are better than the previously offered swords by Marto of Spain, and somewhat cheaper in price. $50-$60 sounds a bit to cheap though. They generally retail for around $150 for the folded blades and $250 for the Damascus blades. Here is a link directly to Kit Rae's website so you can see what they look like a little better. If the ones on Amazon are different in ANY way I would stay away from them ans they are cheap copies you can get for $20.00 anywhere, including your local flea market.

KRDS Projects4

Kit Rae also made a really nice version of the Kurgan Sword. This also goes for about $150 - $200. Here is the link to Kit Rae's page for that one.

KRDS Projects4

If you are wanting to spend more and get a more accurate representation of the swords there are a few choices. irishamericanladwill more than likely be chiming in as soon as he sees this thread. He has some really nice blades, including Mario Van Pebbles sword from Highlander 3. There is also a guy that makes the TV series blade from season one of the show. After that they just started using the sword from Marto, so if you wanted a perfect copy of that, get the Marto or the UC Kit Rae as it was a straight copy of the Marto. They both run between $150 and $200 depending were you get them.

As for the Season one sword, you can find a copy of that here.

Musashi Katana

One last thing with these swords, if you see a colored plastic jewel on the side of ANY of the hilts of any sword you are thinking about, run, dont walk away from that sale page. Those are nothing but cheap junk that you will not be happy with and most times are way over priced. If you are only looking to drop $20 on a sword, then just get one to start so you can see what I mean.

Hope this is helpful. :cheers

Avolow.

I didn't know Marto has changed there sword of the dragon. I know they had offered an "Official sword of Duncan" and that that sword looked nothing like the original used in the series. Why they did that I'll never understand. :wacko I actually meant to include that, but forgot. Thanks for catching that one. :thumbsup

By no means was I saying any of the Kit Ray or Marto were screen accurate (except the one from the series for season 2 on), but for the person that just wants to look at them on their wall and will not be using them for any kind of training/practice/cutting (cause the hilts will break like stale bread :lol) they are pretty good.

As I said earlier irishamericanladwillhas some really nice blades. I have never held one personally, but from what I understand they can but used were the other mass produced ones cant. I personally want his Dark Magic from Highlander three like there is no tomorrow and have talked to him a couple times about it, but every time I try to save for it some family emergency/bill rears it's ugly head and I have to start all over again:cry. One of these days I hope to get one, but it's just not in the cards at the moment. I can usually get enough together, when the bug bites me, to grab one of the cheaper Kit Rae/Marto copies or car parts for my orange ball of rust.

As for the Kurgan sword, I would Love to see the new version of this one that is being worked on. :love I'm sure it will be a much more accurate piece. With the Kit Rae version I know some concessions had to be made for the ease of mass production (and laws concerning automatic blades) were smaller runs often result in a higher quality piece, but at a higher price.

Avolow.

From what I heard they loss the rights

The Martos produced in the mid to late 90's were screen accurate as that was what was used on the show, the only changes on them were the metal collar placed next to the head of the dragon to reinforce it as the first ones broke right off.

The Martos first put out are extremely rare as most broke, I would say there is probably less than 5 or 6 out there.

I remember on one of my trips to Marto USA seeing all sorts of broken dragon heads lying about, wish I would have snagged one now! :lol

The Kurgan is going to rock as he has the original as well as the case to referance from.

Good time to be a fan of the series!!

I didn't know Marto has changed there sword of the dragon. I know they had offered an "Official sword of Duncan" and that that sword looked nothing like the original used in the series. Why they did that I'll never understand. :wacko I actually meant to include that, but forgot. Thanks for catching that one. :thumbsup

By no means was I saying any of the Kit Ray or Marto were screen accurate (except the one from the series for season 2 on), but for the person that just wants to look at them on their wall and will not be using them for any kind of training/practice/cutting (cause the hilts will break like stale bread :lol) they are pretty good.

As I said earlier irishamericanladwillhas some really nice blades. I have never held one personally, but from what I understand they can but used were the other mass produced ones cant. I personally want his Dark Magic from Highlander three like there is no tomorrow and have talked to him a couple times about it, but every time I try to save for it some family emergency/bill rears it's ugly head and I have to start all over again:cry. One of these days I hope to get one, but it's just not in the cards at the moment. I can usually get enough together, when the bug bites me, to grab one of the cheaper Kit Rae/Marto copies or car parts for my orange ball of rust.

As for the Kurgan sword, I would Love to see the new version of this one that is being worked on. :love I'm sure it will be a much more accurate piece. With the Kit Rae version I know some concessions had to be made for the ease of mass production (and laws concerning automatic blades) were smaller runs often result in a higher quality piece, but at a higher price.

Avolow.

Well, I'm overwhelmed with this new information, thank you :)

As it happens, I can't find a place to buy Connor's sword, they all seem to be "out of stock" :(

A high end custom sword will not be in stock it wil be made for you.

Sounds like you want a wallhanger.

Right now there is one helluva mushashi on sale at Sals! :eek

I may be wrong but I believe this is actually the exact same as the sword he uses in Highlander Endgame. The Conner was already out so they had Christopher Lambert use the licensed sword in the film, I think.

Still Daryl/Irishamericanlad is the man.

I can vouch for the United Cutlery Swords.
Got the connor version, signed by lambert for my 30th this year from my wife.

It's an idealised version. So whilst not 100% accurate to any one particular movie - it takes all the best qualities from all 3 movies.

I'm really pleased with, it's balanced, weighted perfectly, and looks stunning, pics enclosed.

7859326572_497fe84b6e_c.jpg

7859327690_f0f9d08208_c.jpg

7859327096_c11eace6c9_c.jpg

7859328286_ec9772c789_z.jpg

From what I heard they loss the rights

The Martos produced in the mid to late 90's were screen accurate as that was what was used on the show, the only changes on them were the metal collar placed next to the head of the dragon to reinforce it as the first ones broke right off.

The Martos first put out are extremely rare as most broke, I would say there is probably less than 5 or 6 out there.

Are you talking about this one being rare?

duncan.jpg

hey guys, i just found this :) thats what i get for late night internet browsing :)
Slygg, i make all kinds of highlander swords.. film swords, series swords, and have been working with making battle worthy Marto swords. and everything these guys have told you is solid accurate information. i have been blessed to work with the original highlander greats like Sal and Jose Debraga, and work directly for Peter Davis making highlander and Xena greatness :)

Flagg, you are correct, that is the more rare SOTD, breaks at the neck pretty easy if it falls... martos answer was a ring at the necks.. not a bad idea but they made it a 2 part sword handle so it was still brittle at the neck. i have been working on cleaning up a cast.. even the one i have access to is less than perfect lol
F2466DCB-8CC9-49E8-8C9E-33F0F02EDAC2-5625-0000027DF292F454.jpg

and Apollo my brother... that isnt a musashi for sale on Point Gallery.. thats a real and true season one, taken from the actual series molds..

Yep I own the first one that was ever sold, picked it up in person from Marto Usa

Well if you have the first I may have the second. I was "told" I was one of the first to get one.

Winding the clocks way back I pre-ordered this very sword from the back of Starlog magazine in the Fall of 1993. That's right young ones. No Internet. It still was not in widespread use. The vendor told me it would come with the Dragon head separate and I would have to glue it on. He also spoke of a silver Conner as they were gearing up for Highlander 3 and the plot was a little different involving the need for a special sword.

Anywho in about March 1994 I was delighted to receive my Duncan sword with the Dragon head attached. It's been with me ever since. Almost got it confiscated going into Canada when I was a truck driver but that's another story.

You can see it in my collection thread below.

You were one of the first wave of RETAIL customers that recieved theirs.

I was a wholeseller who picked up the first batch directly from Marto USA which including mine were 5 kats which immediatly sold.

Judging from the time frame you were in the second wave of Kats that came in as the first was in Feb of 94.

Please tell me your vendor was not Video memoires Frank Virga.

Regardless take care of it as there are not that many left now.

Looks like 3 are in good hands here at the RPF!

Well if you have the first I may have the second. I was "told" I was one of the first to get one.

Winding the clocks way back I pre-ordered this very sword from the back of Starlog magazine in the Fall of 1993. That's right young ones. No Internet. It still was not in widespread use. The vendor told me it would come with the Dragon head separate and I would have to glue it on. He also spoke of a silver Conner as they were gearing up for Highlander 3 and the plot was a little different involving the need for a special sword.

Anywho in about March 1994 I was delighted to receive my Duncan sword with the Dragon head attached. It's been with me ever since. Almost got it confiscated going into Canada when I was a truck driver but that's another story.

You can see it in my collection thread below.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back