Something out of Nothing - Budget Builds lets see them!

Here's my Evil Dead Ash's chainsaw I made from primarily found items. The base is a laundry detergent container, some wood in there, a bike chain, and everything else is one kind of household item or another, all fitted together with nuts/bolts. It costed around $30 total, would have been a lot less if I had more of the stuff lying around already.

66669_453379905771_7766009_n.jpg

74272_453379945771_5417512_n.jpg

I made this for my son a few Hallowe'ens ago - Total cost was about £20, maybe? Used some LEDs from Poundland's car-blinging section, corrugated card and leftover Bondo.

14667_1056193222900_1167106_n.jpg

And the miniature arc generator is Nerf-clone, pound shop touchlights, reading lights, and plant pots.

14667_1056193262901_5661047_n.jpg

rubberproto01.jpg

Made the master from leftover foam core board and illustration board from a previous project. Used some left over silicone to make the mold. $40 for the rubber to cast them, and $8 for a set of lenses.

Wow guys, those are some impressive "Something out of Nothing" builds. Love them all, the Stargate head is wicked cool!. The Wall-E build is impressive man, all foam? And nothing beats a "kid sized" ghost buster pak!

Well lets see here is my Sam the Eagle all found stuff I had laying around except for buying a cheap can of spray adhesive.
106_0820.jpg

Proton Pack built for less than $20
pp1.jpg

I got a few others but I can't find my pics might have to dig around the hard drive and see what I find

OK, since you asked, I'll show off my stuff :)

8168110803_62eb0866e2.jpg

My facehugger. The body is made from two layers of craft foam with a wire frame in between, and two balloons; the legs and tail are foam backer rod coated in latex. Cost around ten bucks.

:eek :eek :eek

OMG OMG OMG . . . . Can you PLEASE create a "HOW TO" thread for this ???

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE ?????

:thumbsup

:eek :eek :eek

OMG OMG OMG . . . . Can you PLEASE create a "HOW TO" thread for this ???

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE ?????

:thumbsup

Glad you like it. :) Alas, I don't have any build photos because I did the whole thing in a few hours while watching TV one night, and I wasn't really sure it would work until the very end.

But the basic process was:

1. I built a framework out of some wire I had lying around, by using a short length for the central "spine" and then attaching four long pieces for the legs, which ran from the toe of one leg, across the spine, all the way to the toe of the leg on the other side.

2. I used two sheets of 1/4-inch foamie to make the top and bottom of the body, cut them to fit to each other, added the foamie greeblies to make all the mouthparts and spine ridges and stuff, then glued the two halves together with the wire framework sandwiched in between. (I also sandwiched a couple of balloons I had lying around to make the "lungs"--looking at it now I wish I had used bigger balloons).

3. The legs were then done with lengths of foam backer rod that were cut to fit along the wires, and wrapped with tape. I used fiberglass resin to stiffen the length of leg between the joints.

4. The tail was done with three lengths of foam backer rod glued together, and short lengths of foamie glued on crosswise at intervals to give it a ribby sort of appearance. I did consider inserting a length of wire along the tail to make it poseable, but (1) I was a little short on wire, and (2) I found that it held its shape pretty well anyway without it.

5. the final step was to coat the whole thing in liquid latex, and paint it.

Glad you like it. :) Alas, I don't have any build photos because I did the whole thing in a few hours while watching TV one night, and I wasn't really sure it would work until the very end.

But the basic process was:

1. I built a framework out of some wire I had lying around, by using a short length for the central "spine" and then attaching four long pieces for the legs, which ran from the toe of one leg, across the spine, all the way to the toe of the leg on the other side.

2. I used two sheets of 1/4-inch foamie to make the top and bottom of the body, cut them to fit to each other, added the foamie greeblies to make all the mouthparts and spine ridges and stuff, then glued the two halves together with the wire framework sandwiched in between. (I also sandwiched a couple of balloons I had lying around to make the "lungs"--looking at it now I wish I had used bigger balloons).

3. The legs were then done with lengths of foam backer rod that were cut to fit along the wires, and wrapped with tape. I used fiberglass resin to stiffen the length of leg between the joints.

4. The tail was done with three lengths of foam backer rod glued together, and short lengths of foamie glued on crosswise at intervals to give it a ribby sort of appearance. I did consider inserting a length of wire along the tail to make it poseable, but (1) I was a little short on wire, and (2) I found that it held its shape pretty well anyway without it.

5. the final step was to coat the whole thing in liquid latex, and paint it.
THANK YOU for this - seriously !!!

PLEASE don't take this the wrong way . . . I am just a "right brained" person who is able to learn much easier/better via visual example - be it images (to accompany instruction) and/or video. The instructions you provided certainly make sense - though, for myself, I find my A.D.D. stricken thought process still somewhat befuddled at what the steps are supposed to look like along the way.

Not your problem whatsoever ... completely my own intellectual curse/burden. :wacko

Nevertheless, in closing . . . . MAKE ANOTHER ONE and PHOTOGRAPH THE PROCESS !!!!
(hehehe - couldn't hurt to beg, right?) :behave

Some of my first builds a few years ago were very low budget, and HUGE learning experiences. I made a Boba Fett Helmet and a backpack from cardboard and mdf. The rocket on the backpack screws on and off using the top and cap from an orange juice bottle, and I used soda cans and renuizit air fresheners for the jet thrusters.

View attachment 127033

View attachment 127034

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back