The Terminator 1984- Kyle Reese Trench Coats, Shoes, and more

nick daring

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I really love the first Terminator and decided I wanted Kyle Reese's jacket from first half of the movie. With a bit of help from the fine folks of Filmjackets.com I think I've found it!

I'm 100% sure it's a Vietnam era (and post Vietnam!) US Army Men's Raincoat.
Untitled-3.jpg

KGrHqFosFKBHF4ieBQIwc8gRpw60_57.jpg

The biggest "tell" is in the very first shot where Reese steals the coat while hiding in a department store.
vlcsnap-2012-11-06-20h55m35s161.png

The small white label in the neck matches up exactly with size and off-center placement found on the Vietnam jackets-
544922216_o.jpg

The other label found on the surplus jackets is a squarish white label found on the inside right flap of the jacket-
photo201.jpg

This label is briefly seen in the Tech Noir scene when Reese whips out his sawed-off shotgun-
vlcsnap-2012-11-06-20h35m25s75-1.png

vlcsnap-2012-11-06-20h33m34s244.png

One interesting variation I found with these coats is the jacket's cuff strap.
This style of jacket apparantly has two different variations and BOTH variations are found in the movie in almost equal amounts. In fact the jackets even go back and forth in the same scene sometimes!

One button cuff strap-
vlcsnap-2012-11-06-20h58m27s89.png

vlcsnap-2012-11-06-21h16m31s157.png

And the wider 2-button cuff strap-
vlcsnap-2012-11-06-20h56m53s169.png

vlcsnap-2012-11-06-20h47m04s154.png

From looking at these coats on ebay for the last few days it seems that the single button model is the design that was used immediately after Vietnam. The Vietnam era ones all seem to have the 2-button cuff. I could be wrong about this but that's what it seemed like looking through auction descriptions.

The only odd thing about the screen used jacket is that it seems they gave this jacket 80's style shoulder pads!
Here' you can see the pad's outline pushing through the thin fabric quite clearly-
t1-promo-michael-015.jpg

Dontcha just miss the 80's?

Also in the film Reese is captured by the police and his green coat is taken away. Soon after, when he makes his escape, he is all of a sudden wearing a black trenchcoat. The style is identical to the green jacket but in a much smaller size-
vlcsnap-2012-11-06-21h38m23s218.png

vlcsnap-2012-11-06-21h39m59s175.png

vlcsnap-2012-11-06-21h40m33s245.png

And wouldn't you know it, this style of jacket came in black in the post-vietnam style-
3ac27709.jpg

I normally wear a size 42 jacket but was having a hard time finding that size on ebay. I was mostly coming across sizes in the the mid 30's. I saw one seller state however that the jacket runs larger than the stated size since it was meant to be worn over bulky uniforms and gear. They also came in short, regular and long. I'm going to have to find one in a proper military surplus store to make sure I get one that fits correctly.

Hope this helps someone!

Nick

Last edited:
Re: The Terminator 1984- Kyle Reese Trench Coat(s)

Might as well cover Reese's shoes as well.

In the film along with the trench coat Reese steals a pair of sneakers from the department store too.

t1-set-crew-008.jpg

shot1-1.jpg

vlcsnap-2012-11-06-21h26m12s82.png

vlcsnap-2012-11-06-21h38m54s50.png

t1-set-cast-072.jpg

The shoes in question are Nike High top Vandals-
KGrHqFqEFGdOTlSBQRb5zeRg60_12-1.jpg

KGrHqVrUFdOz413BQRb6Q6vqw60_12-1.jpg

The only problem is that they are hard to find now.

There have been newer releases of the Nike Vandal shoe since the originals came out but never in the same "Reese" black, white, and silver color combo. At least from what I can find.

Nick

Last edited:
Re: The Terminator 1984- Kyle Reese Trench Coats and Shoes

Got my jacket last week!

E690-4D72-95BB-D4B5BC6FF69F-27533-0000069E10AAD680.jpg

9978-452A-A472-02C4A74C74D4-27533-0000069DFF7DB838.jpg

A8CB-4F5A-B23D-D20EB85ACACE-27533-0000069E06C9FE09.jpg

4A76-43CD-A1DB-36409E929A0B-27533-0000069DF80FE956.jpg

Now I kinda want one with the double button cuff.

Collecting is such a weird sickness.

Hi Nick

Good to see that great minds think alike!

Superb research that matched my own over the last year when i eventually got my costume together.

You are on the money with the coat variations.
I found and bought my 1 button sleeve cuff strap 1979 Vietnam AG-274 trench coat from eBay before i realised that there was a 2 button version he wears as well in the movie (found taking screen shots)
I'm happy to stick with the 1 button cuff strap version as that's the coat he kicks ass in at Tech Noir!

Here's a link to see my coat, t-shirt, Nike trainers and shotgun.

Cosplay Island | View Costume | morlar - Kyle Reese

I had the stripped t-shirt converted and made especially as finding one was impossible.
Not perfect but it does the trick.

I coverted and painted a BB shotgun to look like the Ithaca M-37 shotgun he uses.

The bum pants are screen accurate (with the 1 back flap pocket) and bought of eBay cheap. Had fun painting them up! Again not perfect but good enough.

I was also VERY fortunate and managed to find 2 lots of the rare vintage Nike High top Vandal trainers as well - 1 in my size and 1 in a friends (who is also a massive Micheal Beihn / Kyle Reese fan)
I was very very lucky to find my 2 pairs in the correct size in superb condition for their age. Took a hell of a long while but it was well worth the wait!!

They do come up on Ebay every now and again so it's worth checking regularly. I did and it eventually paid off.
Obviously the condition and price vary but keep an eye out.

All the very best

Rob

That shirt looks great!

I'll probably do something similar. The movie shirt is so weird. I wonder where Reese found that beast?

t1-set-michael-099.jpg

t1-set-cast-030.jpg

t1-set-crew-039.jpg

t1-promo-michael-005.jpg

t1-promo-michael-001.jpg

Last edited:

almost reminds me of a merchant marine or sailer shirt from a European country....dont ask me why...just pops in my head. :behave

Interesting idea.

I always figured it was just some fashion shirt in the eighties' geometric design conceit. Along the lines of Michael Jackson's leather jackets and such.

I think I might pull together a Kyle Reese costume for Halloween next year and will start keeping an eye out for a close enough shirt.

The shirt looks like a custom job to me, perhaps whipped up by the costume department based on some concept art. The more I look at it, the more it looks like a modified pillow case. :lol

Great pictures of the shirt Nick!
Would love to find an original shirt for the costume but it was probably designed and made by the costume department.

I did think about asking a friend of my wifes who makes and designs clothes as a job to custom make me one - but i ran out of time as i needed it for a my friends birthday - gave him the coat, shirt, shotgun and Nike trainers as a present. He's a huge Michael Beihn / Kyle Reese / Terminator fan. He was speechless... especially with the trainers!
Apparantly according to his wife, he wears the coat and the trainers alot and has had several compliments and recognition whilst wearing them.

The shirt was a compromise in the time i had to get it all together. I found it on eBay. It originally was a long sleeve shirt with a round neck but was the closest strip design i could find. It's also grey with black stripes like the original.
I got a local dry cleaners to alter it to make it look as close to the original as possible.

I still intend to get a screen accurate one made up especially - so I'll keep you posted if that happens.

R

For anyone interested in obtaining a pair of the Nike Hi-Top black & silver Vandals that Kyle Reese wears in the film, there's a pair come up on eBay as of today (12/12/12)

Not sure if they are originals or retro remakes but they'll still do the job and are in great condition.

Hope that helps someone to complete their Reese costume!

R

Last edited:
Did you make the shirt yourself? I've been meaning to hunt a "close enough" shirt down and just alter the neck line.

Did you make the shirt yourself? I've been meaning to hunt a "close enough" shirt down and just alter the neck line.

no i bought it from the shop all saints, its a kinda designer store here in the uk

just bought a size large and trimmed the neck, its the same stripped pattern across the chest but its doesn't have the stripped pattern across the shoulders...

i

I kick started off on my Reese costume today. I got the shotgun ordered and materials to customize it and contacted a seamstress on the shirt and should have it in a week or two. In the meantime, I'm working like a madman for the vandals and searching to buy the pants and coat. The ironic part of searching for the coat is that I already had the exact coat he wore in the film and got it for free. Though at the time I didn't plan on making a Reese costume and didn't realize it was the identical coat (single button version), It was used as the template for my Bane coat. It's hardly recognizable now, but i assure you this is the actual coat. The belt is the same, except the removal of the plastic buckle and replaced with one I constructed and the holes sewn into it.

Tracked down the coat and pants. Having a shirt custom made and finally.. I found a flawless pair of "Reese" Nike Vandals that were just my size. Lot's of updates coming as my products arrive and customizing is finished.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back