The Shining Keychain

I have got a very small run sorted of these for some friends, with amendments to my original
I have enquired about the key type to a few people but haven't had much luck
(Though amusingly, the key shape appears similar to my back door key)

keyfob batch.jpg
key fob key.jpg

As New Member status still active until I believe 9th or 10th, I will delay putting them up til then if there is the demand for it.

The key I just can't identify other than the shape, but may have a word with local locksmith, see what he says.
The key in the rear reference pic of the fobs does not match the screen accurate one

Last edited:
I think the key might be a Weiser of some kind, they are a fairly large manufacturer of passage locks and knobs.
They do a lock called the Beverly looks pretty close to SA.

As New Member status still active until I believe 9th or 10th, I will delay putting them up til then if there is the demand for it.

The key I just can't identify other than the shape, but may have a word with local locksmith, see what he says.
The key in the rear reference pic of the fobs does not match the screen accurate one

still looking myself....If I figure anything out..Ill post it. ;)

Thanks guys.
Fob interest post now on JY

Tried an online locksmith who said needed both sides to ID the key

237.jpg

This is the best quality close-up I have come across so far that gives a good indication of the key shape.
I have found a few similar keys on the basis that the key would have been available in the UK circa 1980 as the inner shots were in Elstree Studios.
As some of the interior shots were based on Ahwahnee in Yosamite I have also looked for interior shots from the there to pin it down incase of similarities but no luck so far.

The search continues

Edit - frustratingly minutes later I note a stock photo with an identical sceen correct key!
No ID marks but something better to go on
68286_hotel_key.jpg

Last edited:
After a bit more research by myself and Mr Sinistar, we belive that the actual key is indeed a Weiser as per Young Paddy's observations above.

The Weiser Key

L56.jpg

Appears to match the film screenshot. It is hard to tell whether the film screenshot key has the curves edge of the stock shot I posted above or not but all other dimensions seem to match including the hole for the key ring and the shape to the top of the key. The keys come as either 'brass' or steel in colour and I have located somewhere that supplies blanks.

Looking at the screenshot, I believe can also identify to some extent the door knob and door furniture, or at least the modern equivalent.
Again, this could be any brand of doorknob but if the keys match then I would expect the doorknob to be of a same/similar brand.

The 'Beverley' Polished brass effect door knob seems to match the best.

entrance-beverley-pb-large.jpg

The screenshot also shows a double door for the shot with a blank door knob that is of the same design just without the keyhole.
The same company also utilise fixtures for the double doors. These no longer appear to be square but have corners removed, possibly for cost.

Rebate set for double doors with doorknobs

L655.jpg

Have a look and let me see what you think.

I have also sourced a supplied for the blanks of the key, but again this may just be for display as I doubt the key will match many other locks out there.

I'm off to get more fobs made!

Last edited:
The only other thing I've found that is close to the Weiser, in that the locks are interchangeable and maybe closer to the shape of the original, is a Kwikset blank. Most of them have a 'K' in the end (Like Butch's Key from Pulp Fiction) but some of them only have a triangular slot.

Found a reasonable shot still blurry as all hell, looks like the end is more pointed than the Weiser.
RoomKey.PNG

I'm planning on doing a very small run next month. Laser cut/engraved acrylic.
Keep an eye on the Junkyard.

-Rylo

After a bit of fiddling, and following screen grabs provided by Deck5, have designed a prototype of the green Caretakers room fob.
Need to alter the font, but it is as per the screen shots and the back has the address and stamp box as per previous pics.

3key.jpgRoom 3.jpg

I haven't made any for a while mate but may sort some out in the near future.
Got a few family issues that take priority first but I'll get around to it :)

Chettus does a great job with these! :cool:thumbsup (still need a key for mine. :) )

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• jack 006.JPG
    jack 006.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 713
  • jack 001.JPG
    jack 001.JPG
    185.3 KB · Views: 705
Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back