Best refit Enterprise kit (besides the PL 1/350)

well what else is there really? the 1/1000 scale is accurate but small, not a lot of detail can be fit on it, same goes for the 1/2500. The 1/537 scale AMT/ERTL kit is not too large and not too small, but it has those annoying panel lines that need to be removed. With a little work an incredibly detailed replica can be created using this out of production kit.

I was hoping I was missing some sort of elusive winner of a kit, but I guess that sums it up..AMT Ertl, with lots of TLC would be the way to go to create a decent replica at a more reasonable size than the 1/350.

Anyone feel great about the Bandai kit? They're out of production and PRICEY, but...Thought I'd ask.

there is a 1/850 from bandia... Its out of production so you're stuck trying to score one on ebay or sometihng... Its a nice kit (built 2). It comes pre-painted, which for some is a negative. The fit is pretty good but you can still see the seams particularly around the lights on the saucer...

The 1/1000 PL kit is pretty nice too... But it is a tad small, but reasonably accurate.

And obviously the 1/350 is the one to get as far as accuracy goes, but even that has "upgrade" options :).

Its big but worth it.

But the older ERTL 1/537 kit is a pretty good representation - It also has the disticntion of being screen used... (ST V IIRC) so its by definition "accurate" :). With aftermarket decals it can be done up very nicely.

Jedi Dade

I think the ERTL was also used in STVI for some shots?

Could be my memory isn't what it used to be :) but regardless I know it was "onscreen" at some point.

In fact the new St TNG blu ray disk have some interview footage with Gene Rodenberry... behind him looks like a REALLY nice ERTL refit... the one form filming perhaps?

Things that make you go Hmmmm....

Jedi Dade

Last edited:
I don't believe the AMT kit was seen in Trek VI. However, I do recall reading that one was used for the top shot of the Enterprise approaching Spacedock in Trek III (likely a smoothie was used). Given that you couldn't see the saucer bottom from the angle they filmed it at, it would work fine for that kind of filming angle (an overhead shot).

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back