Psicorp7 - IRON MAN Mark VI - Suit Show Off and Knowledge Share

Psicorp7

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey All,

I know there is no lack of Iron Men/Women on the forum but I thought I would further clog the servers with one more suit show off.

I will also share some of the details and innards of the costume for future builders to steal and improve upon (those that actually read builds). :lol

A HUGE shout out to Robo, Steath, and JF custom for the files to build the suit. I also stole Ideas form almost every other build out there so thanks to all the others who took the time to share their problems and solutions!

The suit is Best Step foam mats with two layer of PVA glue, a layer of Plasti-Dip, a primer coat, a layer of Silver paint and then Gold and Red over the Silver. The gloves are made with 3mm craft foam. The helmet is the only thing I did not make. It is the Finhead older style casted by Superman.

I did lights in the chest, hands and faceplate. I will post a more detailed write-up in the wiring of those in another post. The one thing I did really different from other builds is that I chose to use a metallic GOLD lycra suit under the armor. I think this works well since most of the open parts of the armor should be gold or silver anyway.

But now...on to pictures!

Your suit looks great man. How long was the build? I really hope to find sometime between working long days and family time to start my build on a Foam suit. What did you use for the hinges and where did you find the gold under armor?

Your suit looks great man. How long was the build? I really hope to find sometime between working long days and family time to start my build on a Foam suit. What did you use for the hinges and where did you find the gold under armor?

Thanks!
I started the build in January of this year. I know all about family time. This suit was 90% done after the family had all gone to bed. It is amazing what you can do if you are willing to give up sleep!!!

For the hinges I used 99 cent drawer knob pulls from the hardware store. I cut down the screws with a dremel and added really large washers to the other side. Works Great!! You can see them in the picture. I cover the screw heads with gold duct tape to keep them from tearing the suit.

The the suit was purchased on eBay from these folks

Metallic Lycra Spandex Full Body Suit Catsuit Halloween Party Zentai Costumes | eBay

Looks great. Just in time for Halloween too.

Thanks!! I love your write ups and suit as well!

I finished the suit on the 23rd of October but was super busy right up to the weekend. On the 27th I took the suit to a local Zoo fundraiser for 4 hours outside in 38 degree weather! It was a HUGE hit with the kids (and adults). I then took a 2 hour break and then put the suit back on for a trip to a local costume contest at a bar and wore the suit for another 4 hours!

The good news is that I won 1st Place and Grand Prize of a trip for two to Las Vegas!!!

My wife now thinks that costume making is pretty cool!

Is it just shadows or did you distress the edges with black? The abs on my Mark VII just looks like a mass of red in pictures, even though they have almost as much detail as my back. I would love to find a subtle way to provide some depth and definition.

Is it just shadows or did you distress the edges with black? The abs on my Mark VII just looks like a mass of red in pictures, even though they have almost as much detail as my back. I would love to find a subtle way to provide some depth and definition.

The abs have an underlayer of gold and then I hit the edges and shallow parts with a healthy dose of transparent black color with the airbrush. Airbrushing really makes the details pop in pictures. You can acheive the same effect with a transparent black color wash mixed with 50% water and then wipe off the excess with a damp cloth. The black will stay in all the shallow areas and highlight the edges.
Thanks!

The abs have an underlayer of gold and then I hit the edges and shallow parts with a healthy dose of transparent black color with the airbrush. Airbrushing really makes the details pop in pictures. You can acheive the same effect with a transparent black color wash mixed with 50% water and then wipe off the excess with a damp cloth. The black will stay in all the shallow areas and highlight the edges.
Thanks!

Well, I didn't do an underlayer of gold, but I did prime them. Thanks for sharing your technique. I'm definitely going to attempt that.

I look just like you except taller maybe im 6'1 and 270 lbs and i want a mark 7 since its bigger around teh chest and back. any tips for we "plus sized" men? hahahaha.

I look just like you except taller maybe im 6'1 and 270 lbs and i want a mark 7 since its bigger around teh chest and back. any tips for we "plus sized" men? hahahaha.

Sorry it took so long to see this. I was digging through my old threads and found it there, waiting for me! Better late than never!

The best advice I can give is to start with the abs and work out from there. Brace next, then pelvis,cod, then chest and back. Then arms, legs and shoulders. Save the boots, gloves and helmet for last. If you have anything around the "middle" like I do the abs will define how big you need to make everything else. Plus your skills will be better when you get to the harder parts like the gloves and helmet.

I know its late but good luck!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back