Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Don't give JJ any ideas, or he might have someone time travel back to stop Alderan from being destroyed and reboot the whole thing.

Since the 'prequels' were just the backstory for IV, V and VI ---- I'd say JJ Abrams would be taking it from there. Jar Jar will be ancient history. New storylines will be set into motion!

That's what I remember hearing too so I don't know why some people are up in arms about the idea of Disney possibly ignoring the EU. It's always been established that although the EU is technically canon anything shown onscreen, esp. in the form of the movies, trumps all of that.

Precisely. Add to that that on purchase of LFL that George handed over what were termed 'extensive treatments' for 7-8-9. The powers that be may end up adding sub-plots, but i can't see them blowing off George's treatments.

I don't see why anyone wants EU stuff in there honestly. Maybe tiny things here and there as a nod, but not a single writer out there has the right to be upset if their stuff doesn't get a nod or anything else. They ALL wrote their books under the auspices that any future movies aren't beholden to what's written.

I haven't read a lot of EU stuff, but I have read the Thrawn trilogy and I do think that it would be a great premise for EP II-IX.

I'm not shedding any tears if Thrawn doesn't show up though.

Can the prequels and special editions be considered expanded universe so they can be disregarded?

That's what makes me laugh about all the people freaking out about anything EU getting in the new movies. A LOT of the EU is better than the Prequels. I think a lot of it is people who haven't read any novels or played any games, because you wouldn't say that if you'd read/played the great ones.

As I've said numerous times in this thread, Lucas has shown a willingness to include the EU when it fits the story. A few examples - double bladed lightsaber, Coruscant, Aayla Secura, wielding dual lightsabers, etc. They've also used EU things in the Clone Wars show (which is G Canon - meaning Lucas canon, like the movies) including Republic Commandos, several locations and vehicles. If the movies are bad, it won't be because they used an EU planet or character in the movie!

I'm adding a disclaimer because inevitably someone just skims the post and says "No they aren't going to do any EU stories." So no I'm not advocating "Heir to the Empire" the movie.

...As many have already mentioned the cream of the crop is the original Timothy Zhan Thrawn trilogy...he just gets it...
Based on the handful of Expanded Universe novels I've read, I have to agree with this. Timothy Zahn seems to understand the established characters better than most authors, and his style of writing makes it easy to envision the Star Wars universe while you're reading (in the Thrawn Trilogy, at least).

Having just returned from STAR TREK Into Darkness my faith that STAR WARS is in great hands is thoroughly restored.

Having just returned from STAR TREK Into Darkness my faith that STAR WARS is in great hands is thoroughly restored.

I haven't seen it myself yet, but it certainly sounds encouraging with all the positive reviews I've been reading. Here's to JJ pulling out all the stops for Star Wars...! :thumbsup

I'm with you. To date, I've only allowed myself to see the first (?) trailer - the really vague one - and that's it.

It's been surprisingly easy so far. I'm hoping to get to the theater Sunday.

Definitely glad to hear that Abrams' did a good job.

Once you just decide not to look, it becomes REALLY easy to avoid it. Well, assuming you also don't watch live TV. If you DVR everything, it becomes way easier to avoid trailers spoiling the movie.

I saw one or two of the trailers a ways back, but I don't remember them. They were pretty generic.

In the spirit of getting back to topic... what do you guys think of the as-of-yet unknown title for Episode VII??? What should it be, have any suggestions? Post it :)

Here are a few ones(mind you I didn't mention they are any good :p)

ALLIANCE OF SHADOWS
DAWN OF THE REPUBLIC
BALANCE OF THE FORCE
A SHADOWY DESTINY
THE RISING DARKNESS

Terminator,
I absconded with part of one of your titles and added a new word. Thought 'Revenge' might be a nice add-on since Lucas dropped it for "Return of the Jedi":

STAR WARS Episode VII: Revenge of the Republic

The word 'Avenge' might also work somehow.....

The Computer-Generated Menace
Attack of the Gungans
Revenge of the Abrams
A New Trope
The Vampire Strikes Back
Return of the Jar Jar

I'm sorry.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back