Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Yeah I agree, part of me is glad there will be more Star Wars but there is also a trepidation in the fact that I would hate to see CGI stormtroopers lol

STAR WARS

EPISODE VII

REBIRTH OF HOPE

It is a period of peace. The death of Emperor

Palpatine resulted in a harmonious existence for all

species. But from out of the shadows, a new threat

emerges.

Rumours have circulated for many years that Palpatine

wasn't in charge. There was a creature behind him, pulling

his strings. Rarely seen, all that is known is that

he is from a species that has no neck and a taste for

plaid shirts.

His full power is unknown. He can apparently change

history at a whim - unnecessary alterations that don't seem

to do much than annoy others. He claims to be able to know

past, present and future. But when he tries to tell you

this information, you die of boredom.

But there is hope. A small band of experts have banded

together. Their aim is to dethrone this being, hoping this

will rob him of his abilities. Will they succeed...?

Yeah I agree, part of me is glad there will be more Star Wars but there is also a trepidation in the fact that I would hate to see CGI stormtroopers lol

CGI stormtroopers wouldn't bother me so much. We've already seen CGI clones, not much of a difference.

CGI stormtroopers wouldn't bother me so much. We've already seen CGI clones, not much of a difference.
I wouldn't have a problem if they scanned the original suits instead of having a modeler sculpt a digital version.

But for the most part, realism comes from the quirks and unexpected movements people make.

That's actually a good example. Personally I'm not a fan but I can appreciate that it's a good film, just not true to my established framework.

I have no doubt that the new Star Wars films will be "good" when it comes to production value. Guaranteed though that some folks will hate it just because it isn't the OT.

Right. I'm with you on this on both counts. I enjoyed JJ's Star Trek, but it wasn't "Star Trek" to me. It was something else. And that's fine because, I don't really need "my" Star Trek to continue ad infinitum. I find the changes unnecessary and kind of annoying at times, but once I got to a place where I realized "It's not about you, *******" I stopped worrying about it and learned to love the lensflare. Ok, not the lensflare. That just sucks. But JJ's Trek is still entertaining and if that's the direction it goes, well, we'll always have Talos IV.

So does this effectively mean that Lucasfilm does not exist anymore or is it that it is now 'owned' by Disney, what I'm driving at is if there is an Episode VIII etc it will still be made by Lucasfilm no?

I think what you'll see is the same approach that Marvel has. Disney owns Marvel. But Marvel is "separate" from Disney in that it has its own brand identity. Disney's still pulling the strings and footing the bills, but Marvel is its own entity in a sense. I suspect the same will prove true for LFL. It's a brand unto itself, and one which doesn't exactly mesh with Disney's brand perfectly. I mean, yeah, you'd see a logo at the start of a film, but I don't think it'd be the big Disney stylized script overtop the Star Wars logo, ya know?

Actually, here's a thought. What if TRON gets migrated over to Lucasfilm? I mean, to me, TRON as a property meshes far better with Lucasfilm than with Disney itself. Particularly in light of the new direction of the series with Tron Legacy.

I wouldn't have a problem if they scanned the original suits instead of having a modeler sculpt a digital version.

But for the most part, realism comes from the quirks and unexpected movements people make.

Yeah, honestly, CGI human movement just doesn't work unless it's really detailed motion capture without a lot of animated stuff going on with it. Even then, it's not the same as light catching on the surfaces of real objects.

Yeah definitely, if it's full out battle scenes with hundreds of stormtroopers CGI would work but if it's just a handful it would probably look odd.

Ive got really mixed feelings about this... This is probably the best timing for Lucas to sell, and get the best value. If he wanted to keep the interest for the francaise up, he would have needed to invest a lot making new stuff, and he is old. Ad all the whining from angry fans he gets whenever he tries to do something, he probably got tired of it all.

OT: I have a hard time seing this new episode will succeed in feeling like a SW film. I fear it will be more like pirates of the Carribean or worse...

For me personally the empire is what makes Star Wars intersesting, and finding something to fill the void of Vader and the empire will be tough.

Ive said it before, the SW (original 3) we love could only be made when they were. We need the duck taped troopers, wonky vader and fantastic ILM models to get that feeling.

I really hope they get someone that really cares about SW and understand what makes it great, to film it.

Honestly, I believe this all to be a good thing - though my only concern is the property being heavily overmarketed and it's general appeal diminished.

I'd love to see Spielberg finally get his hands on directing one of these (he'd be the most appropriate choice I believe) and I am looking forward to someone other than Lucas writing the script.

Would LOVE to see a return of Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford. However, I think Ford's notion that Solo really had nothing else to contribute in RotJ was a good one and should have resulted in the devastating loss of that character to really drive the danger and risk home. I could see that being brought into epVIII.

Nazgul hits the nail on the head for me, for me what didn't work with the PT besides the dodgy scripting was that everything was too slick, I'll never forget the moment when stormtroopers blasted their way onto Princess Leias ship in A New Hope, smoke, bits of scenery flying everywhere, you just wont ever capture that feel with a bunch of CGI troopers. Not to say I am against CGI, more so its overuse in place of a good story

According to a new posting on wiki, E7 will continue with Luke, Han, and Leia and will not follow any other media. Completely original story. I could see Luke in a Obi Wan like role. Han Solo, a General in the new republic. God knows what Leia is doing.

Reel

Yeah, when the blasters fired there was loads of smoke and when the laser fire hit something it left large, charred, gaping holes and flame. The sabers flickered and sputtered and pulsated and felt dangerous... and no one was making casual small talk while they were being fired upon and friends and allies were dying all around them.

Nothing really beats the Tantive assault. That's where the Empire truly showed their might. The Hoth battle is a close second, as the rebels stood very little chance of success and were basically just fighting to survive.

If the new series brings in a new villain and threat... it really has to be strong... because the threat in the PT just felt rather vague and without real presence.

I have a lot of reason to believe that this will be VERY good for the franchise. I beleive this because Disney has a totally successful business model to follow - the one they created with Marvel. Under this model Marvel runs as its own company under disney, Marvel makes all the creative decisions, picks its own writers, actors and directors etc. etc. if this is done with Star Wars and it appears they are with Kathleen Kennedy as the head of the "division of Disney" then I can see this working out great... as far as the stories go, its a tough call where they will go...

But...

I was at GenCon back in the early 90's were Mark Hamill was a guest speaker. He gave a long talk, that hit a lot of Star Wars insider stuff (he does an amazing impersonation of lucas BTW), anyway in that talk he told a story of when he was doing A New Hope where George was laying out the whole story, all 9 Eps, and asked Hamill what he thought about a story where he passed the lightsaber on to the next generation. To which Mark said he immediately said, " Uh yeah sure"... while thinking george was nuts, and defied anyone that was 20 years old to imagine what their life would be like 20 years from now... he got a big laugh from the audinece.

But given that little story - which 30+ years may have certainly changed things, Georges original story arc post ROTJ was to have a series of stories that dealt with the post empire where Luke recreated the jedi order and passed the lightsaber to the next generation. Now that is only one small piece of what the stories "may" deal with, and certainly a wide canvas to tell a variety of stories in. But my money is the "story treatments" that George laid out deal with that theme.

Just a thought...

Optimistic on this news!

Jedi Dade

Last edited:

At least this time around we wont know exactly how the 3 films are all going to pan out, we knew Anakin would go bad and become vader, kinda threw a bucket of water over the fires of excitement

At least this time around we wont know exactly how the 3 films are all going to pan out, we knew Anakin would go bad and become vader, kinda threw a bucket of water over the fires of excitement
Not really. It could have been done very creatively to have kept the mystery in the OT going by not really showing Yoda, not showing Anakin going into the suit and having Vader be another character that Anakin just took over when Obi-Wan left him for dead.

Instead we got a straight line from A-Z that crippled all mystery.

If any of the OT cast were to return, given thier current ages, I think it would have to be set around the New Jedi Order/ Legacy Era at the earliest.

Timeline of galactic history - Wookieepedia, the Star Wars Wiki

The Solo and Skywalker kids as antagonists would seem to be a strategic move on Disney's part to get a new generation (young demographic) interested. (If they were to indeed continue chronolgically/canonically from Episode VI, that is.)

If there is so much as even a whisper of the "M" word...I'm done.:sick

I would really love to see the Force respected, expounded upon, and made inspirational once more - akin to Luke's training on Dagobah in ESB. That is and has always beem my most cherished part of the OT and Star Wars in general.

Luminous beings are we...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back