Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Glad you enjoyed it! Come back for our completely different 9 o'clock show, and be sure to tip your servers. :)

From AICN summary of a Bloomberg piece on the LFL aquisition. Emphasis mine.

"Lucas has attended story meetings for the new Star Wars film – but that Disney, not Lucasfilm, would have final say over any future movies.Lucas also says which members of the original cast will appear in Episode VII, and Kathleen Kennedy discusses becoming President of Lucasfilms."

later

"Alan Horn, chairman of Walt Disney Studios: “We needed to have an understanding that if we acquire the company, despite tons of collegial conversations and collaboration, at the end of the day, we have to be the ones who sign off on whatever the plans are.”

A few months ago, wasn't everyone talking about how this is totally not how Disney was going to deal with LFL, how they wouldn't want to interfere with LFLs process? So...yeah, LFL actually does answer to Disney on story and the direction of the universe from here out.:unsure

From AICN summary of a Bloomberg piece on the LFL aquisition. Emphasis mine.

"Lucas has attended story meetings for the new Star Wars film – but that Disney, not Lucasfilm, would have final say over any future movies.Lucas also says which members of the original cast will appear in Episode VII, and Kathleen Kennedy discusses becoming President of Lucasfilms."

later

"Alan Horn, chairman of Walt Disney Studios: “We needed to have an understanding that if we acquire the company, despite tons of collegial conversations and collaboration, at the end of the day, we have to be the ones who sign off on whatever the plans are.”

A few months ago, wasn't everyone talking about how this is totally not how Disney was going to deal with LFL, how they wouldn't want to interfere with LFLs process? So...yeah, LFL actually does answer to Disney on story and the direction of the universe from here out.:unsure
Thanks, thats quite a relief! :)

I don't think anyone said that Disney wouldn't have final say, just that they wouldn't interfere to the extent that some worried they would. Of course Disney has final say, they have on all of the Marvel stuff as well. :)

I'm relieved to be honest. If Lucas is really going to say goodbye to the company and let Disney control the content that they release, then he has to do just what he said he would do and merely consult on the projects, rather than have control over them.

I think that given the way that Disney has handled the major properties (Marvel and Pixar) I think it's safe to say that we're likely to be in good hands with regards to story.

I would also venture a guess and say that Lucas wants to have more of a say in Ep. 7. 8. 9 as they are part of the core saga. The spin offs may see him have less of a role in the process.

What good would this entire deal be if Lucas was still in control of this whole thing? He could have just continued making more Star Wars films and not bothered selling the company if he was intent on maintaining ownership and creative control. This way he can step away, and not be blamed if there is a major public backlash at the direction the franchise is headed. hahaha

I think the key factor on whether these new films will work is having them be a collaborative effort. As long as everyone comes together to make the best film possible.

Just because it was the plan 20 years ago doesn't mean it was a GOOD plan.

The Schlieffen Plan was in development for ten years. That didn't make it a good idea, either.

Haha! No, I'm not suggesting that a thing is good simply by dint of having been planned. Rather, I interpreted your misgivings as coming from the idea that casting the oldsters was cash grab motivated. That's all.

Whether out works out, as far as story goes... who's to say.

That said, i don't think "the plan" would have allowed for rolling straight into production in the 90s, as I think the vision was that they were significantly older.

But the vision was also for an over all tone aimed more at five year olds (ROTJ) than where the material is handled best (ESB), so while I'm clarifying, I may also be making your point.

Here's a quick preview of info you may not have known.

"...But they're couuuuuuusins. Identical cousins all the way...."

I think the key factor on whether these new films will work is having them be a collaborative effort. As long as everyone comes together to make the best film possible.

Yeah, that's exactly the problem with Lucas' movie-making in recent years. We've all heard the stories about how the studios constantly screwed him over making changes to his stuff. But, his resolve was to work in a vacuum surrounded by "yes" men, it seems. Hell, even Spielberg was too afraid to give him any constructive criticism. (KOTCS, for example.)

I don't know about you guys, but I LIKE having some input on what I'm doing creatively. I think it's healthy to have some discussion of ideas. Actually, that's why I like this forum so much. 2 cents

I'm guessing that meant as far as who's going to be hired. I seriously doubt that Lucas gave over complete control to Disney. If I create anything like that, I may sell the company, but as long as I'm alive I have final say whether the movie, game, book, etc. looks/feels like Star Wars. Lucasfilm, if not Lucas, has to have control over it's property to keep it from turning into something that is completely different.

Lucasfilm, if not Lucas, has to have control over it's property to keep it from turning into something that is completely different.

With Disney being the acquirer, they can do with Lucasfilm exactly as they please. There is no reason whatsoever they have to satisfy GL or anyone else at Lucasfilm; it's all theirs. Having said that, it would really be in their better interests not to tamper (too much at least) with a business model that has worked fantastically well, but they still don't have to answer to anyone but their shareholders.

If I create anything like that, I may sell the company, but as long as I'm alive I have final say whether the movie, game, book, etc. looks/feels like Star Wars. Lucasfilm, if not Lucas, has to have control over it's property to keep it from turning into something that is completely different.

Money talks and Disney bought Lucasfilm. Lucas may be a consultant but I highly doubt he has final say on anything.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back