Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I wonder if we'll have to start calling it the Luke Ep 6-7-8-9 lightsaber.

I mean, LFL owns the exclusive rights to the ROTJ hero saber, why would they change it for episode 7?

Only since 1922.

and they don't say Blah, blah BLAH! :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-rroGskFnE&feature=share&list=UUr_PJvKOPkTkMSYTFm6NB1A
mqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

I wonder if we'll have to start calling it the Luke Ep 6-7-8-9 lightsaber.

I mean, LFL owns the exclusive rights to the ROTJ hero saber, why would they change it for episode 7?
I bet they wll change his saber. Why not? a whole new line of props and replicas to sell. ;) It's been 30 years after all, I'm sure Luke would have made another saber in that amount of time, isn't Obi's a different saber in SW from RotS?

isn't Obi's a different saber in SW from RotS?

Not in the story, no.

It's never really stated specifically, and it's likely to change from Jedi to Jedi, but it's sort of implied that a lightsaber is constructed to be carried for a Knight's lifetime.

Not in the story, no.

It's never really stated specifically, and it's likely to change from Jedi to Jedi, but it's sort of implied that a lightsaber is constructed to be carried for a Knight's lifetime.
That is true, although some Jedi (like Mace Windu) would make a new lightsaber when they joined the council.

I bet they wll change his saber. Why not? a whole new line of props and replicas to sell. ;) It's been 30 years after all, I'm sure Luke would have made another saber in that amount of time, isn't Obi's a different saber in SW from RotS?

From a story standpoint, no. But the saber was tweaked a bit from the original design for RotS to make it prettier i guess.

That is true, although some Jedi (like Mace Windu) would make a new lightsaber when they joined the council.

I'd make them all the time. Jedi need a hobby, they're not going to be out 'jedi-ing' 24/7 365 you know? :)

The formal saber
The every day saber
office saber
travel saber
Special occasion
hanging out with the friends
Then you have to mix and match crystals

You can never have too many :)

From a story standpoint, no. But the saber was tweaked a bit from the original design for RotS to make it prettier i guess.
I have only watched the films, and there is no mention one way or another that I've noticed, although the two look enough alike that I tend to agree. Seems like there was some mention in AOTC of Anakin losing his saber "again" . He also "lost" it when Obi gave him whatfor on mustafar :lol, so he's had at least three I know of just from film refrences. My initial post on this though was more from a prop collecting stand point; A SA Obi from RotS is not a SA Obi from SW. It seems from a collecting stand point there will be a "Luke E7" to add, not that saber builders/collectors obsess over SA ;)

Right, and in that case, you're totally right. It's extremely unlikely that they will re-use an existing prop from ROTJ. So that means they'll either replicate it (and create a new variant in so doing, with some minor changes, like a different activator box or something) or create a completely new design.

I doubt they would change his lightsaber.

What I'm wondering though, is with Lucas off the films, will the opening of the movie change? Lucas was able to do the crawl and beginning hat way because he resigned from the Directors Guild so he didn't have to put all the credits in at the beginning. I don't think it would be SW if they try to do it the traditional way.

I doubt they would change his lightsaber.

What I'm wondering though, is with Lucas off the films, will the opening of the movie change? Lucas was able to do the crawl and beginning hat way because he resigned from the Directors Guild so he didn't have to put all the credits in at the beginning. I don't think it would be SW if they try to do it the traditional way.
I would like to see the opening SW crawl as well, and this is Disney:lol, if LFL could do it before, I'm sure they can do it again. ;) :thumbsup

Luke's saber:

Oh yes, there will be another version. Was there ever really any doubt in your minds?

When is the last time ANY prop was re-used from ANY movie more than 5 or 6 years old, without guys like us identifying a difference or two? They could have put the saber props into a time capsule from 1983 to 2014. People would probably still have come up with something different about it.

Maybe they take some silicone molds off the originals to make more copies for 2014, and the process damages the paint a bit on the originals, which means touch ups. Or maybe they just repaint all the old ones because all the new ones have to be painted with something and they want consistency. Or maybe they need to create a CGI version of the saber. Once it's done, they decide to go ahead and make the physical props based of the computer model rather than copying the original props because the computer one is perfectly symmetrical. Etc.

Last edited:

I´m not sure right now, but I believe in Tron Legacy they didn´t show any credits at the beginning from the movie either. So I guess there are a few examples which show that Disney is fine with showing the credits at the end of the SW movies.

Never break an established tradition! :darnkids

I´m not sure right now, but I believe in Tron Legacy they didn´t show any credits at the beginning from the movie either.

It certainly didn't. What surprised me was that it didn't even have the word "Legacy" when TRON showed up.

LINK

I think the credits at the beginning of a film is now optional and not necessarily a by law of the director's guild any more. Not sure they have much say in this any longer but I could be wrong. there are many films from all the studios now that don't have credits at the beginning these days. George kind of paved the way for this of course in his anarchist way... he was such a punk! :D

I would think that they would likely keep the opening crawl like they did for the other six films, and have the last scene iris out and credits scroll through with a star field background. The one thing that will be really strange is not seeing or hearing the 20th Century Fox fanfare. I consider that to be just as much part of the Star Wars experience as John Williams score.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back