Custom Robot Monster figure - Mego scale

Bizarro Lois

Sr Member
DSC00737.jpg

DSC00729.jpg

I had a lot of fun with this one, except making the fur suit. I'm still cleaning up loose bits of fur from my desk and everything that was sitting on it. I based him on the movie poster instead of the actual costume, because it was a more exciting look for an action figure. The main difference is the poster shows a skull inside the dive helmet, while in the movie there's just kind of a lump visible, presumably the top of the actor's head.
220px-Robotmonster.jpg

screens_feature-30907.jpeg

I sculpted the dive helmet, and added the skull, which was in my parts box. The antennae are pieces of bead wire with Plastidip on the tips. I painted the skull with glow paint. It was hard to photograph, but you should be able to see it in the pictures.
DSC00733.jpg

047.jpg

048.jpg

The chest piece is sculpted and cast in resin. I made the feet by slicing the big toes from a Mego Hulk and adding new ones from MagicSculp. The hands and feet are coated with Plastidip, because Mego bodies don't always hold paint well.
DSC00746.jpg

Looks really cool. I still haven't seen this movie yet, it's one of the few TCM doesn't show for some reason. I agree the skull makes for a more interesting figure than just a lump in there.

Thanks! MST3k showed it once, and I saw it on Offbeat Cinema, unaltered before. You can probably download it for free or get a cheap dvd somewhere. I'm assuming it's public domain, because all the horror host-type shows seem to feature it at some point. It's one of the worst I've ever seen, but I have a certain affection for Ro-Man.

Oh, and if you're a member of the Mego Museum, I wouldn't complain at all if you voted for me in their Halloween Custom Contest. http://megomuseum.com/community/sho...Mego-like-8-quot-monsters&p=971326#post971326

Robot Monster most certainly is NOT high drama, so public domain is about the best way to find it.

One thing that has me chuckling though is recently a commercial aired I think either to promote teachers, or girl's education, or sell insurance (I don't remember the product). The goofy bit had this young girl dreaming of space and at one point you see a space helmet sitting on a shelf (and she I believe wears it at the end as she goes running out to a playground shaped like a rocket). Well, the space helmet I am pretty sure was a replica Robot Monster helmet, complete with the antennas sticking out of it. It gave me a good laugh when I saw it.

Nice replica figure!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back