Gonk Droid Blues

itookadooku

Im in the process of working on a Gonk Droid....the feet are a bit of a situation.Could any of you that have built one before post pics or hand out tips.Especially for holding the totes together,I really dont want to see the Gonk knocked in half by a couple of 5 year olds :lol .

The one I bought off Tom (Wampa) has 2x4s down the legs that are attached to a sturdy stand, much like mannequins are. The main Gonk body simply sits on these 2x4s.

DID I HEAR GONK GONK

I did him about 2 years ago

ca37.jpg

1446.jpg

9ef7.jpg

5a88.jpg

i made the feet out of wood and the plastic dranage pipes to join the feet to the pipes i just screwed
the caps from the pipes on to the feet and the same for the top of the legs to the body

the bottom box was reinforced with wood so it made a great stable standing gonk

he also had a cd sound system in him and a few blinking leds
im quite sad that i let him go
but i will be doing a new one soon for my home theater room i will store the dvd player and sound system control box in him :)

hope this helped

jay

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BOBATAFF @ Nov 21 2006, 09:30 AM) [snapback]1362711[/snapback]</div>
DID I HEAR GONK GONK

I did him about 2 years ago[/b]

ewww, thats just wrong.. :lol

very nice Gonk, I did one a few years ago too. :p

Thanks for the tips and pics.

I have looked for gonk websites on the www.,but theres only a couple and a few dead links.On one particular site I saw where the 2x4's were used as the legs then the pipe was added.

It looks like I may have to opt for the wooden feet.He may be heavy on the bottom end then,but I know it will help bring "Balance to the Gonk" :p

One thing I did notice right off was that the tote ,when cut wrong,shatters quickly.Should I leave the totes where they can seperate in the middle or make the face plate removable for access to the inside? (for cd player,lights,etc.)

Thanks

my gonk

was quite heavy dew to the feet and the reinforceing wood bottom in it

i used a two box system with a hinge in the middle i could tip the top half of the gonk upwards ´so i could put things inside it ie cd play etc etc

Here's mine:

gonk.jpg

For the feet I built a wood vacuforum buck and then made two styrene feet. I still have the buck but I haven't tried vacuforming in my new house yet (I use the kitchen stove). I sold a set once but I don't have time right now to mess with it.

I keep the top half on by gluing several pieces of thin wood inside the bottom bin, sticking up, on all four sides. Then the top part can't slide off.

If you notice on the side there are some covered outlets. I can plug an extension cord in the bottom of the Gonk and then use him as a power strip on the side. He's a functioning power droid.

Scott

that is one project I am really interested in doing..scott, I have your C3 props video and use that for help..or plan too

WOW, actually using a Gonk droid as a power strip... throw in a CD player w/ speakers and that would be something to take for tropping static postions. Oh, jeez... another project added to the list.

The feet look good on the Gonk, Skaught. Did you fill them with anything or are they hollow?

Whats size cd player are you guys using? I was thinking of maybe a personal (walkman type) cd player,but finding speakers for it that would be loud enough might be a problem,some events are way loud.

i could plug mine into the mains
he had a extention cable in him
so i used a normal mini cd system
the speakers where at the bottom of the bottombox where i drilled a few holes in it
for better sound

it was quite loud it drove a few stars nuts at a convention
as i was using a cd i idid my self with a few starwars musik but most of the time it screamed gonk gonk :)))

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stomper @ Nov 21 2006, 11:49 PM) [snapback]1363062[/snapback]</div>
WOW, actually using a Gonk droid as a power strip... throw in a CD player w/ speakers and that would be something to take for tropping static postions. Oh, jeez... another project added to the list.
[/b]

Hey TONY.

Good to see you on the board. Yes, the Gonk droid is one of my background droids we are working on for the fan film.

Heres the Gonk I have been working on.I have changed a few things since the pics,which are a little over 1 week old.I wasnt going for a "screen time" gonk,I wanted the little bugger filthy and "used" looking. :)

tgonklb2.jpg

Theres plenty more Id like to add to the Gonk,but I dont wanna overkill it.Gives me a good reason to make another. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(3720to1 @ Nov 22 2006, 11:36 PM) [snapback]1363900[/snapback]</div>
yea i want to build one of these as well maybe we can work on them together Jim.
[/b]

I'm game. Let's do it.

Jim

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darth Kahnt @ Nov 22 2006, 07:08 PM) [snapback]1363921[/snapback]</div>
This looks like a cool project that would be relatively cheap. How much have you all spent on your gonks?
[/b]

I might have around $25 in mine....alot of the parts were from raiding my kids "misfit" toys that they broke or no longer played with.The most expensive part was the totes.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back