Logans Run Carousel Mask Replica

Vandark

Sr Member
Hi there,

I recently aquired a Logan's Run style Mylec Hockey mask.

e9_1.JPG

What i'm wanting to do is to convert it to look just like the mask used in the movie.

mask2.jpg

To begin with, I need to fill in/re-shape some of the existing holes in the mask.

What i'd like to know, if anybody can help, is:

1) What would be best used to fill in the holes in the mask?
2) What would I use to cut/re-shape new holes into the mask?

Taking into consideration that the mask is made from plastic.

Although i'm a novice at this sort of thing, i've got good clay sculpting and cardboard modelling skills, so I think I can do a pretty good job on it, I just need a few pointers.

Thanks for any help.

Richard

Richard,

Cool project. I love that mask, in a '70s kinda way... :)

Anyhow, sounds like you want to fill in the holes on your existing mask and then recut them to match the movie prop? This has come up before and IIRC the filming prop was vac-formed and the cape/hood was stitched over the vac'ed plastic.

Instead of reworking your existing mask, it may be easier to lay some bondo into the back of it and slowly build it up into the eyes and mouth until you can sand the areas you want to reshape smooth. Then use that as a buck and vac directly over it. Then, you can cut your vacu-formed mask anyway you want. And make more, if you cut too much... ;)

I picked up one of these from an online sporting goods store awhile ago, and coincidentally, just last night at about 2am, decided to hang it over my DSG. I have given some thought to cutting the eyes to better match the film prop, but short of vac-ing my own, that's probably as far as I'd want to take the OEM mask.

DSG courtesy of Rylo. Thanks, Ry. :D

Good luck, and post whatever you decide to try...
Allan

[image]http://home.comcast.net/~imaginager/CarMask2.jpg[/image]
[image]http://home.comcast.net/~imaginager/CarMask4.jpg[/image]
[image]http://home.comcast.net/~imaginager/CarMask3.jpg[/image]

Allan's plan sounds good to me.

In fact, I was considering something similar but just have no time to even try right now. FYI/ The originals were V-formed and hot cut.

Cool display, Allan.

Rylo

so, what i'd probably be best doing, is basically re-fill the entire mask and re=shape it to how it would have looked before the holes were cut.

Then i'd neet to vac-form it (I have no idea how i'd get this done)

Then i'd need to re-cut the new holes into the mask.

I was planning on making more than one anyway, but i've gotta get it perfect first.

Thanks

Richard

Fyberdyne Labs offered to help me out vac forming the one I was going to get but due to my time constraints I just made one out of a plain hockey mask.

Drop him a PM and I'm sure he'll be glad to help you fix it up and vac form it.

Lowell

What do you think would be best to make.........

.........an Exact copy of the movie prop, or a more idealised version thats prettier up close?

Thanks for the comments, guys. :D It's all about the GUN, though...

Richard, I'd go for as exact as you can get it. However, I'm not sure where to get that level of exacting information. I've always wondered what's behind the eyes & mouth. Looks like there's a black...er, something, behind the face of the mask. Maybe that's just supposed to be the actor's face painted black, or maybe the prop had some kind of "depth" behind the eyes and mouth. Do you plan to put a hood on it, too?

Allan

As for getting it exact, i'm trying to get some hole templates made from a screen used mask.

I think the actors faces were painted black in the movie, but for the sake of a display version, i'd probably put some sort of black fabric behind any holes.

I'll probably be doing the hood too, I know a couple of people who could do that no problem.

Your display looks great BTW, the mask just finishes it off.

Myself, I just collect movie masks and helmets and the Logans Run one is one of the ones i'm missing.

.......what a great movie.

I this does make it to a "run", I will be most interested in one.

I would take it fresh off the vac machine uncut, or cut if done well.

I love Logan's run, even remember when it came out. Saw it in the theatre.

I have a one off custom Deep Sleep Gun (calcium carbide) that would look great with a carousel mask.

Let's keep this going.

Arthur

OK, I started work on the mask last night, I test filled some of the holes and sanded them off this morning and it looks great.

I think this project will go faster than I expected.

I could post some progress photos if you like.

Richard

Guys...don't turn this to a "I'm in" thread otherwise the mods will move it.

I'd like to see it stay on the main forum.

i'll probably be ready for the vac-forming in the next couple of days, but I'm from the UK, does anybody know the best way to go about this please?

Richard,

You're best bet, if you've never done it before, is probably to farm it out. Vacu-forming requires specialized (read, not necessarily expensive) equipment and some learned skills. You may want to place an ad in the JY, or make some inquiries if you're in a hurry.

Otherwise, you could certainly go about making your own table. There are some sites with info on tables and equipment. It's really not much more than a special table, frame and shop vac. StudioCreations.com has some information. You can also Google and find some interesting information.

I've read some interesting info at these sites:

http://www.tk560.com/vactable4.html (not sure if this is an RPF member's site?)
http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/vacuumtable/index.html (This is.)

Ok, this is the progression so far, not very interesting, I know, but I like doing progression shots of every stage my projects.

One more lot of sanding and the basic mask is done.

I've found a few local companies that specialize in Vac-forming, so hopefully I'll have something finished this week.

p1.jpg

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back