New way to coat foam?

Whit

I have read a few different ways to coat foam in prep for paint.

In working on my Tactical Batman costume, I may have come up with a simplified way to prep foam for paint.

I wanted to try and skip the step of brushing on several coats of glue prior to coating the foam with plastidip. In making my vest, I wondered if I could simply use an iron on the surface of the foam to smooth it out.

I took a sample piece of foam, a brown paper bag and an iron ( the kind used for ironing clothes). I placed the paper bag in between the foam and hot iron and ran the iron over the foam for a few seconds. The result, for me, was that the tiny holes seemed to close up a bit and make the surface of the foam smother and a touch shinny.

I went ahead and sprayed the foam directly and let it dry. It seems to hold the plastidip well and you don't see all the little holes.

I'll post picks soon, when I get a few pics taken.

Anyone else tried this?

not new, but depending on your steps afterward its not suitable (i.e. covering it with rondo)

its a common technique to make foam look like leather. you can get a similar effect by going over with a heatgun.

the problem is, holes will still be there, tho.

You heat seal it to give it a glossier smoother look but the holes are still there, which is why a lot of people still seal with PVA after a heat seal.

Personally I just plastidip (painted), primer then paint the scheme I need. If you check out my build the finish is shiney enough. I have never really had a problem with holes appearing, not to say they haven't but not many. I am wondering if because I paint my Pdip on that is why it has not been a problem as it fills them up beautifully.

Maybe see if you can get a sample tin of Pdip paint to try out.

Tom.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back