My sorta finished Chewbacca costume

takevin

Sr Member
Thought i show pics of me in costume over the weekend first time wearing it for a kid toy/game convention our local 501st attended. The mouth on the mask opens when i open my mouth, and closes with springs. Also have sound effects too, till i learn to use my own voice. THe whole costume is still a work in progress, gotta do some more trimming, so i dont shed, and pull more hair out, too thick in spots yet, more work on the face yet, and add some fans. Plus air out the mask, between clear coat and hair spray, i started getting dizzy after a few hours. I didnt realize i put my feet on wrong, left on the right, and vice versa, so after 2.5 hours, couldnt walk anymore, the kids there loved it thou. Sorry for the crappy pics, didnt bring the better camera with, the second pic is with my beautiful wife.

I was pretty exhausted from this, last two weeks spending 6 hours a night to finish it up to wear, and have a christmas parade in two weeks to look forward to.

ps. A HUGE thanks to Richard aka rileyreplicas, he has been a big help to me, great guy, thank you Richard. Your the best. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

HPIM10216.jpg

HPIM1027.jpg

Your bandolier is too small, ofcourse, and Chewbacca shouldn't have a frown. Other than that, you are ahead.

yea the bandolier has to be adjusted yet, but the mask isnt a frown, especially when i open my mouth. :) Thanks for the input. Yes the costume is VERY hard to do.

Great job. Just a few tweaks here and there, and it'll be even more amazing. BTW do you use costume teeth as well to show when the mouth is open?

:thumbsup
:fettrotj

yes, got a full set of acrylic teeth from monsters. and just had to make the canines. Ill take some more pics of it when i get home later tonight. Ill be doing the tweaks over the next couple of weeks, kinda burnt out so taking it easy. lol

Three things to say :
1)GREAT costume
2)not necessarily Chewbacca but
3) DEFINITELY a great Wookiee warrior ...

Ever though of adding wookiee armour to that costume ?

Has anybody done a warrior yet ?

Michael

thankyou all for the kudos on the costume, its really not too bad, only wore it for 2.5 hours, but was actually pretty cool in it over all. I used a thin sleeved shirt and pants, the hair was glued on. The mask was the hottest, didnt have time to put fans in before the con, something i will do during the week. I guess ill find out more if ill get hot when i do more events and wear it longer. I plan on getting one of those cooler vests for wearing this costume in summer to help keep me cool. My predator costume which is made out of furniture foam is a oven. But i could actually feel whisps of wind on me when i was walking around in the chewie suit. Of course this suit sheds like you wouldnt believe. Ive been using special scissors that thin the hair down, which i still need to do to take out more bulk out of the suit yet. :)

For a first stage Chewie, I think it looks great. Please update us with progress pics as you continue your tweaks. BTW, what kind of fur did you use?

That is WOW....I know that suit took alot of time and devotion....very nice indeed.The teeth look great. :thumbsup

If I may be so bold to ask (and ya dont have to answer) but how much did such a suit run price wise? I know I'll never be tall enough for a wookie but for my son,it would make a great wookie child. :)

well this is all scratch made by me, yes a lot of time, devotion, frustration, etc ;) at a guess for breakdown

hair=$140
shirt/pants=$20 bucks
boots=$30
wood to raise the boots=$5
foam for boots/feet=$15
clay, molding, casting materials=$140.00
hot glue=free from where i work otherwise =50
misc=$20
fans, amp, sound effect=$150.00 did get the sound board for free too.
=$580.00 abouts,

time to assemble=$hundreds lol

u can do stilts, or platform boot/feet, the latter which i did raises me 8 inches, plus the head brings me around 7'1, ill probably add another inch or so yet too :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(takevin @ Nov 21 2006, 04:13 PM) [snapback]1362936[/snapback]</div>
u can do stilts, or platform boot/feet, the latter which i did raises me 8 inches, plus the head brings me around 7'1, ill probably add another inch or so yet too :)
[/b]

How hard is it to walk? or should I say how heavy ?

What did you use to construct the head sculpt? You mentioned casting materials. It seems the back of the head could actually be made porous so you could get some airflow through the hair.

i gotta get around to wearing the feet, but im guessing around 6 or 8 pounds, so not a biggie, ill look good and get a workout at the same time. It wasnt hard to walk really, still getting used to it. I made the bottom of the foot basically a size 19 so its very stable to walk on, the boot and lifts done just like a regular shoe.I first did a lifesculpt of my face, casted that, then use oil clay and built the undermask that resembles a gorilla skull for all intent purposes. Molded and casted that, cut the lower jaw off, and hinged and put springs so it could open and close. The one person who did chewie and runs the chewbacca resource website along with the yahoo forum just used strips of plastic, but it doesnt look natural in the back, and he was going to switch to what i did right away. I only took the upper back half of my head and molded and casted that, and spliced it into the front mask, so i have the lower back of my head open, just covered with hair, and it looks very rounded and natural, i was still quite cool for just wearing it 2.5 hours but will add one fan to the inside. I also had to scuplt and cast the toes too. :) Let me know if you have any other questions.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back