Warhammer 40K Space Marine Full Scale - New at this (WIP Breakdown)

Thanks for the additional compliments fellows, and if this inspires folks to have their own go at it - that's awesome!

Hopefully I'll find some time during the holidays to work on a helmet and finish the backpack. Then I can put it back on and shoot some vid of me stomping around in it.

@ muttmo: Paint is staying on great, even without any sort of sealer. The only place I noticed a couple of small flakes chipped off is on the plastic skulls. Those probably just needed an extra coat of primer, or some roughing up before primer.

UPDATED with LOTS of photos and build breakdown:
Entry01_Tiny_o.jpg

WIP stuff a few posts in http://www.therpf.com/f24/warhammer-40k-space-marine-full-scale-new-163509/#post2574105, you can skip this newbie first post stuff. ;)

Hi all,

Long time lurker first time poster (If I recall correctly). First off, sorry for the forthcoming novel:

I had originally planned on posting up a build thread after this was complete, but I'm figuring now it's better to get the input from all you wonderful people who have been doing this stuff far longer than I.

At work every year we have a company Halloween party with costume contest, prizes and all that, and for a lot of us here at the studio it's a pretty big deal. I work with some very talented and creative people, so we get some great custom made stuff each year. Last year my wife and I went as Steam Punk Han Solo and Princess Leia (Picture below - I grew a beard two months prior just for the friendly mutten chops). It's my big excuse for getting away with some crazy costume project each year.

So I waited until the proverbial last minute, thought of something that would be fun and stupid hard to make in less than two months, did some poking around on the internet and bought some supplies...

Basically mid September, after stumbling across Xrobots foam suit vids I received a shipment of 2lb. closed cell Polyethylene foam which I intended to try to build an Ironman costume out of, as well as something for my wife. Then a buddy of mine started painting War-hammer miniatures again and I thought: "Hey why not build a Space Marine costume, and wear stilts, and make it BIG!" Turns out some very talented people have already done this. Soon after my crazy-person epiphany, I did an Internet search for Space Marine costume and of course found thorssoli's great, life-sized SM builds (a whole squad!), as well as Legacy Effect's build used for promoting THQ's Space Marine video game. The first inspired me to do something similar, though utilizing the foam I had already purchased, the later had me thinking I'd build a Captain Titus suit (main character from the game) , so I didn't have to wear a helmet, and my wife could go as Lt. Mira (female character in the game).

Using a computer (I don't recommend it as it limits vitamin D production) I made some templates and some proportioning models to suit my dimensions. I printed out my templates on letter paper, taped the templates together, traced them out on the foam, then I cut out a bunch of foam and glued it together. The gluing part took some experimentation, as I started with hot glue but eventually settled with 3M hi-strength 90, which I just happened to already have lying around for a home improvement project - That stuff is great!

I also rounded up drywall stilts, some miscellaneous junk for details and probably blew too much time thinking: "Ooh what else could I do. I could add cooling fans and lights and sounds and make giant weapons, and controllable hands etc, etc." Also, great time of year to round up all those little skulls dudes in the 41st millennium seem to like. I think I've spent more time shopping with this project than actually building.

After the first weekend of assembly I thought it would be great if i could do something like Xrobots Smooth-on coating to give the whole thing a hard shell, but thinking I didn't have time or funds for mixing small amounts of resin and doing layer after layer over such a large suit, I searched for alternatives of a similar nature and came across docholiday78's rondo Ironman. I hadn't heard of rondo before, but I was familiar with bondo, which I've used on automobiles a number of times, so I figured this was the way to go. Other than thinning out the bondo, I'm not quite sure the resin has any other value in this process, but please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

At this point I've got all the major armor bits assembled sans backpack, which will be built from different materials. Then two nights ago I put the first two layers of rondo on one of the shin bits and I'm wondering still if rondo is a good idea. I can tell you all I really want this suit to have a hard plastic outer feel to it. I would like for it to have a "knock." But putting bondo full of sticky resin over large areas of foam is not fun. This first pass didn't get enough resin hardener in the mix and is so still a little tacky but seems to be getting there.

After this first coat, I'm thinking I'd need quite a bit of bondo, inside and outside to give the foam enough rigidity not to flex, at which point I'm thinking this suit may be unwearable due to weight. I think I'd switch to 65D at this point but I wouldn't be able to get it in time. Basically I'm feeling like I have to have everything coated, prepped and painted by the end of this weekend, so I have a week to put the rest of my bits together and assemble the suit on it's harness and actually make it wearable. I am taking the later half of this week off to work on it.

So what do you all think? Any suggestions, am I doing anything wrong? Should I cut and run and just coat and paint the foam, forgetting about getting a knock? If I forget the rondo, should I just plastidip or vinyl spray? (I did a test on the foam with 4 coats of platidip and while it's a nice coating, it still looks like painted foam).

I've also tried sealing some large scrap bits in thinned-out Elmer's white glue last night to try different coating son tonight, but noticed the the Elmer's cracks very easily, is this normal?

Your comments and insight is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the crummy phone pics:

what program u use? files and link please

If I may ask, what program did you use to construct the CG models of the suit and how easy is it to learn? I was trained to build the classic old school way (Paper drafting and some CAD) I am working on learning Sketchup but that is slow going.

Hey Darkproductions, For this project I used 3dstudio max, though I typically also use XSI. You could also use Maya, these are all pretty comparable programs and I have used them all. Programs like Maya and XSI are a bit "quicker" to model simple stuff like this in than 3d studio max in my opinion. Maya and XSI are very fluid programs once you've learned the ins and outs and shortcut commands, etc. 3dsmax is a more revealed program, in that I think it's easier for someone new to the program to find modeling tools and modifiers etc. That's not to say that Max's advanced modeling tools aren't every bit as fluid as the other programs. Just comes down to personal preference really.

As far as learning it I personally took to 3dsmax pretty quickly in college but I've always been rather 3d minded in that I used to scratch build models and miniatures as a kid. That said, they are very "deep" programs in which you can do full productions if that was your goal. There are many online resources and books available for learning all these programs. There's a book series carried on Amazon called the 3ds Max Bible and there's generally a release for each update of the software (2011, 2012 etc.) though you're probably good using a 2010 book for 2012 as not a whole lot changes from release to release. These volumes are typically pretty big (1200+ pages) and contain tutorials, etc. Perhaps see if you qualify for a student discount of the software or if Autodesk is currently offering a trial version so you can check it out before committing.

Best way to learn is to just keep at it. Hope that helps.

Truly Amazing!!! Now you need someone to make an ORK costume so you can get some pictures and/or videos done. Now that would be a sight to see.

DarKev2

Re: Warhammer 40K Space Marine Full Scale - New at this

Man great build !!!!!!!!
After i saw your bild i decide i wanted to build one myself .
I been trying to find the templates everywhere but no luck .
It will be great if you can share your template files and if you have please let me know where you post them . Thanks

Hey HorsyARS. Thanks for the compliments. I sent you a PM with a link. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm actually considering finishing off this build with the backpack, bolter and a helmet or two.

Hey HorsyARS. Thanks for the compliments. I sent you a PM with a link. Let me know if you have any questions.

I'm actually considering finishing off this build with the backpack, bolter and a helmet or two.

Hey hows it going. Your suit is epic and is an inspiration to me since I am also in planning stages to build my deathwatch ultramarine suit. If you are willing to share your templates I would much appreciate it.

Hey this is amazing my friend, i was wondering if you could be willing to share the templates you created for this build im having a hard time finding good templates for a space marine? if you could that would be amazing! keep up the good work.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back