Tie pilot helmet

Prometheus

We all know that the X wing helmet was based on the APH-6 hemet.
What about the Tie helmet? Other than the obvious Stormtrooper facemask, the rest of it does look like the APH-6.
The retaining clips on either sides of the helmet were obviously covered by custom pieces and greeblies.
So has anyone tried building a Tie helmet using a real APH-6?

Yes, the TIE helmet consists of a stormie faceplate and a modded APH-6B. Modded as in earpieces and mohawk.

Don't know if anyone actually did build a TIE lid from a real flight helmet... someone, on some board did talk about this a while ago though.

I don't have much info but I do know someone who had a original tie to use for a his DP product line and he did say it was very cheaply riveted seperate pieces if that helps

It certainly follows that the side shells have the form of the APH-6B, but I believe the mohawk is much wider than an actual APH-6B mohawk and was made so by using vac-formed halves made from the APH-6B in order to accomodate the stormy faceplate. Starwarshelmets.com has a nifty writeup on a screenused helmet.

-John

Yeah, and the way it's trimmed, you'd have to cut through the forged steel O2 mask attachment points in a straight line. Doable, but not easy.

I can't remember where, but somewhere I read an article that addressed this...........in essence some real APH helmets were used on several props and castings of them were used for others. Xwings were most of the real helmets, TIE's got the recasts...etc... This may have been on the SW.Com site quite a while back. Just can't remember.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back