Vader trooping/appeareances

Darth Domain

Hi guys, i have been doing kids paties in my rubies and will be doing some work with a lookalike agency or two. Hopefully, i can raise some money for some serious Vader stuff like a CT lid etc.
However, i don't want scratches all over my lid, armour etc, and it is not practicle carrying the whole kit in the rubies box. So i was wondering if any one has some tips or advice of how they transport their vader stuff so it is well protected
Thanks

Darth Domain-

You could always go and purchase a large trunk (one used for storage) and then subdivide the inside in two or three different sections. One section could be large enough for your bucket and the remainder for armor. Line the walls with 1/2-3/4 inch foam for extra added protection. Some cases have wheels on them for easy transport. You might want to ask Vaderpainter (as his methods of transporting his armor inspired me to write this post).

Or, you can purchase cases specifically used to transport deejay equipment. The cases come in all various sizes, shapes, etc. These can be found at any store that sells deejay equipment, lighting, and/or musical instruments. The beauty of these cases are they are already foam-padded lined. Depending on your budget, you could get a really nice black case to use.

Hope this helps.

~Joel

aka: deejayjoel

Agreed, those cases are ideal.

Alternatively you could always just wear you costume to the event and really raise some eyebrows. :p

Jeremy

Originally posted by Osssifer@Nov 17 2005, 11:53 AM
Darth Domain-

You could always go and purchase a large trunk (one used for storage) and then subdivide the inside in two or three different sections.  One section could be large enough for your bucket and the remainder for armor.  Line the walls with 1/2-3/4 inch foam for extra added protection.  Some cases have wheels on them for easy transport.  You might want to ask Vaderpainter (as his methods of transporting his armor inspired me to write this post).

Or, you can purchase cases specifically used to transport deejay equipment.  The cases come in all various sizes, shapes, etc.  These can be found at any store that sells deejay equipment, lighting, and/or musical instruments.  The beauty of these cases are they are already foam-padded lined.  Depending on your budget, you could get a really nice black case to use.

Hope this helps.

~Joel
Thaks for your advice Joel

aka:  deejayjoel
[snapback]1117903[/snapback]​

Originally posted by gonk27@Nov 17 2005, 12:05 PM
Agreed, those cases are ideal.

Alternatively you could always just wear you costume to the event and really raise some eyebrows.  :p

Jeremy
[snapback]1117906[/snapback]​
No way man, its hot, the belt buckle digs in and the cod means you can not sit comfortable . How darth vader sat in a tie fighter comfortably is quite beyond my capacity :lol

There are guys who build these musician "road cases" to order acd they are not too expensive...since these guys usually work out of a home/garage. They build to order to fit instruments or sound gear so having one made with a compartment for the lid and another for the armor would not be hard for them to do.

THe ones I've seen had handles, wheels and were lined (and sometimes covered) with a carpet material.

Here ya go....this is what I use, posted it awhile ago....

This is what you need.....

case.jpg

I scored a couple of these from work....they were throwing them out... I have 2 this size which I use for my RC gear....and a larger one which I'll use to store my Vader stuff in transit. You just have to modify the foam compartments to fit whatever you are storing.....

Thanks WC.

I use a Stanley Contractor's job site box (on wheels). Holds the entire costume including helm.

But an option would be to go to your local army surplus store and get a medical transport case for around $19-30.

I got one of the very large tubs that have wheels on them.

Very sturdy and I can just perfectly fit my ENTIRE Vader costume in there as well as extra parts and cleaning materials :)

thanks to you all, i'm gonna have a look at the music stores first to see what they have to offer, it is only a rubies but its all i have at the moment, hopefully may be something alot better in future
Mark :)

Originally posted by rigormortis@Nov 17 2005, 09:25 PM
I use a Stanley Contractor's job site box (on wheels).  Holds the entire costume including helm.

But an option would be to go to your local army surplus store and get a medical transport case for around $19-30.
[snapback]1118168[/snapback]​

DD,

We used a big black and yellow toolchest with wheels from B&Q to transport hardware to and from Usability Labs. It sounds like the same thing that rigormortis uses.

It would do a pretty good job.

A flight case would be undoubtedly stronger, but also much heavier and more expensive.

SC

Originally posted by mackerel moon+Nov 18 2005, 09:32 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mackerel moon @ Nov 18 2005, 09:32 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-rigormortis
@Nov 17 2005, 09:25 PM
I use a Stanley Contractor's job site box (on wheels).  Holds the entire costume including helm.

[snapback]1118168[/snapback]​

DD,

We used a big black and yellow toolchest with wheels from B&Q to transport hardware to and from Usability Labs. It sounds like the same thing that rigormortis uses.

It would do a pretty good job.

A flight case would be undoubtedly stronger, but also much heavier and more expensive.

SC
[snapback]1118512[/snapback]​
[/b]
cheers mate :thumbsup

While I don't have a Vader costume, I do have a Boba Fett costume. Like Vader, it is also a costume that contains lots of different parts. I'm in the 501st and do a number of appearances every year. I decided from the onset to find a solution to toting and storing my gear. This is what I came up with:

A wheeled trunk from (of all places) Bed, Bath, & Beyond. $39.99 (back in 2002):

case2.jpg

It's lockable, and I can grab one of the handles and roll it where I need using the built-in wheels on the bottom left side of the trunk. I've taken it to DragonCon, and more events than I can count and my costume has *never* been damaged while inside it. The trunk is made out of wood. The outside is covered in a plastic/vinyl-like textured covering, and the inside is covered with a durable wallpaper-like material. The whole thing has held up extremely well, even after tons of trips.

case%20open%204.jpg

After buying it and getting it home, I installed a 3/4" thick piece of shelving to divide the interior of the case into 2 compartments - one for my costume, and one for my (MSH) fiberglass helmet. I covered the divider and the interior walls of the "helmet compartment" with eggcrate material. I then mounted Army belt webbing to the inside of the lid to secure my blaster to. I also added a pouch to hold my gloves and other small items that might get lost. My shin tools are mounted inside the lid also, as is a mirror (not pictured) because it's always nice to know if you have your stuff on straight. ;) I figured since Fett is a "gun for hire", why not make the inside of the case look like a hitman owned it? :lol

I'd love to have a flight case, but the ones I looked at (for the size I needed) were $500-$600 and weighed 75 pounds EMPTY. :confused This case is $459 + shipping, and is almost exactly the same size as mine. I think I'll stick with my "economic" solution for now. :D

Jamie I said it before and Ill say it again, I love that case, I even have all the stuff to make my own if I ever finish my Fett. Wal-Mart carries these cases now but I dont think an entire Vader would fit in there.

Originally posted by TK-Fett@Nov 22 2005, 10:45 AM
Jamie I said it before and Ill say it again, I love that case, I even have all the stuff to make my own if I ever finish my Fett. Wal-Mart carries these cases now but I dont think an entire Vader would fit in there.
[snapback]1120668[/snapback]​

Thanks again, Tyler. :D

Yeah, I doubt most Vaders would fit in a case the size of mine. I just wanted to show that there are cheaper solutions out there that work just as well as the more expensive ones. ;)

Originally posted by TK-Fett@Nov 22 2005, 11:45 AM
[snapback]1120668[/snapback]​

Extremely well done. I may use this concept for my Vader, although I know I will need a bigger case.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back