Custom Replicas 66" Nautilus

vismus

First let me appologize for only building the 20K Nautilus.
I've actually just finished captain Nemo in his diving suit. ;-)

Purchased this boat after it had been brilliantly started but the previous owner lost interest. He replaced most of the molded rivets on the starbaord side with more real HO rivets. My first job was to finish his start on that side of the hull and do all the deck riveting. Three weeks later and cross-eyed, I started the rest of the build.
A beautiful reproduction and I'm glad I had a chance to do one.

Tommie

Thanks, Gentlemen:

Ozzy, the rivets that Glenn, the original owner and I replaced were those on the upper 1/2 of the starboard hull and the full deck. It is said there are roughly 19,000 rivets on the entire boat.

The rivets on the casting were sanded off and then each location was drilled out for the HO
railroad rivets. NUTS! Glenn had intended to do all 19K and purchased enough rivets in three sizes to do the boat.

Must say, trhey do look great on a boat this scale.

A few more build pics.

The original owner cut the deck grates with his CNC machine and I now realize I should have opened the floors below. (It was to be an R/C build but I only do static.)

BTY: the rug in the salon is a real Persion rug! My wife found it on eBay and it was sent from Turkey. Best $3.50 I spent on the is boat!

Tommie

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back