Star Trek: The Next Generation--Unseen

From an early draft that took place on the Moon:

8101061416_6d72dd23bb_b.jpg

EYES. Delicate, curious, female. A beautiful peridot green.

WIDE--they belong to a diffident girl, keeping her distance, half-hidden behind a pillar. We’re still in the operating theater. Turquoise EARTHLIGHT pours in from an oculus. The instruments are off.

The girl is called Margarete, or MAGGIE, age 14.

One more from the floppies:

8101044853_5c538b42f7_z.jpg

Soon, we're hoping by next January, all of this material and more will be archived on its own website. This will be the last update until then.

In the meanwhile, if you have any questions, please direct them to Syd Bodeen.

I've asked the writers to provide some commentary for the site, and I can't help but share with everyone here a taste of the script's history from Syd Bodeen:

Originally I wanted to do an episode that took place entirely in the ready room, because I like what the term suggests: being in the wings of a theater, waiting for your cue--an antechamber to action, if you will. The premise was that Picard has to reach a critical decision during a Red Alert situation, though I would have been purposefully vague about the nature of it. What really interested me was writing a Star Trek that obeyed the Aristotelian unities of space, time, and action. I also would have obeyed the Greek theatrical dictum that no more than two characters are allowed on stage at once, meaning Picard has a series of interviews with the senior staff and maybe even the barber. Picard's arc was simple but powerful: from doubt to resolve, inertia to momentum. And the last shot would have been through the parted ready room doors as he steps onto the bridge. End with an overture.

I believe I did a treatment, which I handed in to Mel. He called it "repertory stuff" and repeated his desire for "vistas." To our credit, that's what Lennart and I delivered, though Roy, who did the middle episode based on our notes, wrote a beautiful and intimate story about Riker, which isn't to say it too didn't have "scope," another of Mel's favorite words.

What counts in writing, as in music, is how you get from point A to point B, and I still admire Roy's deft modulations.

I've asked the writers to provide some commentary for the site, and I can't help but share with everyone here a taste of the script's history from Syd Bodeen:

Very cool. The ready room idea sounds very much like the introspective Trek which I love. "Drumhead" and "The Measure of a Man" come to mind. :thumbsup

Hello!

A friend of mine worked on prop making for TNG. (and DS9) I'll check if he was involved in this in any way. Maybe he has some info that could add to this lost story!

Fascinating stuff! Makes me really miss TNG! =)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back