Star Trek: The Next Generation--Unseen

Neat stuff.

I find it very perplexing, though. I don't think I've ever heard of an episode in any TV production getting this far along in implementation and being abandoned. If a show is killed, it's normally at the script stage before so much time and energy and money has been spent on designing it. When an episode is this far along, killing it creates tremendous scheduling headaches to replace it. Any TV producer would try to fix any problems it had on the fly rather than create a hole in the production schedule.

Or are these artifacts the result of spec work by someone hoping to get their script sold?

Treadwell, as I understand it, the team that developed this episode answered to a different boss at Paramount and was more or less sequestered from the regular TNG staff. And DB537 is correct: the episode was a three-parter, a sort of "Break Glass in Case of Cancellation" idea, as the writer who gave me the material described it. Seeing as he poured two years of his life into it, he was reticent to discuss why it was abandoned, but after having read the final draft, I can tell you that the budget would have had to have been astronomical to do it any justice. For one thing, this would have to be built as a full-size, functional vehicle:

8077505571_3737a1ffff_b.jpg

Do you have all three scripts? If so would you be able to scan them into one PDF for each script? Most office scanners have that ability now. Looks like good reading.

Orange_Blend, I believe I've been able to assemble as complete a copy as can be had of the final draft, which I will digitize for archival purposes. I hope you understand that I don't wish to promulgate it without the writers' consent; of course, it's not that they wouldn't give it, just that I haven't asked yet.

Orange_Blend, I believe I've been able to assemble as complete a copy as can be had of the final draft, which I will digitize for archival purposes. I hope you understand that I don't wish to promulgate it without the writers' consent; of course, it's not that they wouldn't give it, just that I haven't asked yet.

Totally understood of course. :)

Just seems like an interesting story so if they give the :thumbsup I'll be first in line for a read!

Orange_Blend: You might be first in line, but I am right behind you second in line. :) This looks better and better each time I look at this thread. I would've traded all of Voyager and DS9 for this three parter, lol.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back