wip--lukes macrobinocular kit UPDATE!! 1ST BUILD IS DONE, UPDATE ON 1ST POST

trooper

Sr Member
Lukes hero macrobinocular kit .................................................. .....

------edit------ i have been asked to change this to either a wip, or be moved into the jy, since this is going to take a while to finish, i feel it's best to stay here and not clutter up the jy where things are there and ready to sell and this is not. now IF /WHEN wink wink I do a run i will post it here and request to have this moved to the jy. until then, please feel free ask any questions, i would like to hear what you do or dont want in a kit. it may alter what im thinking of doing....maybe not :)------edit-----------

i dont have the whole kit done yet, just the lens'
im going to show the various pieces as i go, for now, here is the lens i made today
my intentions are to make the most detailed and elaborate kit ever, ive started with the lens obviously. next im going to mold the individual pieces of the eumig. after that i will make the pieces for the kalimar hood, it will be functional as well :)

let me know what you guys think...besides that im crazy :lol i already know

0 4 - YouTube

the other parts needed to be made are as follows--
1) lens plate ---done , thank you blastmaster
2) replicate the side box --- done
3) metal belt clip --- done
4) recast vinyl for the hood detail --- done
5) printed sheet metal --- done
6) pieces for the hood --- all laser cut pieces are done and in hand.
7) transition side box ---- done

UPDATE 6/8/13------------------

the 1st build is complete to show the functions and detail of the kit.
I will be making build videos next.

an interest thread will be posted in the J/Y

build video's for the kalimar hood
#1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoBWchrJIeY
#2 http://youtu.be/L2qzpqlxc90
#3 http://youtu.be/1yRdukyT8_8

assembly of the resin kalimar six sixty lens https://youtu.be/wEk3axIEVLY

Last edited:
Re: luke macro kit, molding in progress

You are a God sir. Do not let anyone say it can not be done. Go, go, go.

I want to be first on the list.

Re: interest check--lukes macrobinocular kit, molding in progress

im not sure if im worthy of that status yet, but i appreciate the comment and encouragement :)

I agree, it is cool. However, kind of overkill for a pair of macrobinoculars.

I agree, it is cool. However, kind of overkill for a pair of macrobinoculars.

I could not disagree more. Not only does it make it that much more accurate it also makes it fun. The more things there are to play with on a prop the better.

I am confused on the clear resin. Are you talking about using it for the lenses? If so I would love that because with this kit we have the opportunity to make the macros kind of functional. At least where you could see through them. Then you could have all kinds of fun dressing up the view, etc. Maybe magnifier lenses???

Do you think you can do the mounting plate for the lenses and the transition box or do we need Russ to get another run going??????

What about the Fold down Kalimar Viewer???? Is that doable????

Your build goal is impressive and the lense looks great. The real trick is producing a kit this detailed and keeping the per unit cost below the price of buying all the real components.

For me, it's too detailed of a kit. But I know for many it's going to be a great addition to their collection.

I've been hoping someone would produce the kit I want: eumig cast as a solid hollow piece with the lense plate and all the base parts of the viewfinder attached, all knobs cast seperate to be attached, seperate cast lenses, and viewfinder door pieces cast seperate so they will open/close. And hopefully all that for around $100 raw parts.

Your build goal is impressive and the lense looks great. The real trick is producing a kit this detailed and keeping the per unit cost below the price of buying all the real components.

For me, it's too detailed of a kit. But I know for many it's going to be a great addition to their collection.

I've been hoping someone would produce the kit I want: eumig cast as a solid hollow piece with the lense plate and all the base parts of the viewfinder attached, all knobs cast seperate to be attached, seperate cast lenses, and viewfinder door pieces cast seperate so they will open/close. And hopefully all that for around $100 raw parts.

I would love a kit like this as well but I think your prise is wishfull thinking.

The last two Kalimar lenses I saw went for $400 each. Just for one stinking, stupid, old, useless, super expensive thanks to all the Star Wars fans, piece of old camera junk.:angry :angry

I'm hoping this kit could be done for $300 and even that I'm afraid may not be realistic.

I was about 2/3 there when I had to give up. It was gonna be $800 total and I don't like the macros that much.

Can't wait to see this one go,

Re: wip--lukes macrobinocular kit,

the main reason I am doing this is simply, it has not been done yet, im not doing this for the money, that is, IF i was intending on doing a small run of these, in which case this would be a for sale or interest thread....which it's not, it's a wip :p
here are some pics of the lens and the individual pieces. the black in the castings is residue from black resin i tried to cast the parts with, it was to thick and had many bubbles.
the black piece is the main body with the glass lens' in it, this is the piece im considering casting in clear, but in no way will this give you any kind or usable viewing, your only getting the side of the lens thats cast, not both sides, so the image is going to be different, how i dont know, im not an optic expert :) but it will give the illusion of a real lens from a spectators view.

for me, this is more of a model to build then a prop kit that can be slammed together in a few hours, this will give the person who would like to spend time on this and enjoy the building process some thing to do.

the main reason I am doing this is simply, it has not been done yet, im not doing this for the money, that is, IF i was intending on doing a small run of these, in which case this would be a for sale or interest thread....which it's not, it's a wip :p
here are some pics of the lens and the individual pieces. the black in the castings is residue from black resin i tried to cast the parts with, it was to thick and had many bubbles.
the black piece is the main body with the glass lens' in it, this is the piece im considering casting in clear, but in no way will this give you any kind or usable viewing, your only getting the side of the lens thats cast, not both sides, so the image is going to be different, how i dont know, im not an optic expert :) but it will give the illusion of a real lens from a spectators view.

for me, this is more of a model to build then a prop kit that can be slammed together in a few hours, this will give the person who would like to spend time on this and enjoy the building process some thing to do.

Sound good to me. I'll make the time.

On the lense maybe we can have an option. I would personally look into getting glass lenses cut for it. I just like the idea of being able to see through it.

If this kit does happen I would be happy to try and find a place and get some estimates on what it would cost.

i understand what your saying, maybe that will be another project :)
but i have to agrea with jameth1971, the price range is not realistic, to replicate the parts for the hood alone would take a chunk out of that $100 price range, if some one was to do a kit like this, i would expect it to be closer to the $200 price range.

Sound good to me. I'll make the time.

On the lens maybe we can have an option. I would personally look into getting glass lenses cut for it. I just like the idea of being able to see through it.

If this kit does happen I would be happy to try and find a place and get some estimates on what it would cost.

i thought of casting the lens', but when i opened the body up and saw there were more lens' inside...now way! :lol your talking another ten molds for the pieces, and even still the real lens doesn't give a usable image with out the rest of the camera, i think the best way to go if you want it to function as a viewer is to add the cam corder parts like hyperdynelabs did Star Wars Luke Skywalker working macrobinocular prop - YouTube
i think this would be cheaper and much more functional in the long run

i thought of casting the lens', but when i opened the body up and saw there were more lens' inside...now way! :lol your talking another ten molds for the pieces, and even still the real lens doesn't give a usable image with out the rest of the camera, i think the best way to go if you want it to function as a viewer is to add the cam corder parts like hyperdynelabs did Star Wars Luke Skywalker working macrobinocular prop - YouTube
i think this would be cheaper and much more functional in the long run

So if you skip the clear resin then the lenses would just be hollow??

Re: wip--lukes macrobinocular kit

no, the black piece im holding in post 10 and in the last two pics would be totally clear or cast in non clear resin, either way i need to make a mold.

Do you think you can do the mounting plate for the lenses and the transition box or do we need Russ to get another run going??????

What about the Fold down Kalimar Viewer???? Is that doable????

i completely passed over this, im sorry :)
im not sure what to do on the lens plate yet,i haven't gotten there

the view hood, i would like to have parts laser cut, the main hood and maybe another part would have to be vacuformed
so yes, it's doable :)

the transition box i plan to cast off the one i made. i cut the top off a kalimar and built up around it.

Re: wip--lukes macrobinocular kit

forgot to add these to the pic list
left to right - seagull knob, B&H dail, seagull plastic lens and ring

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back