wip--lukes macrobinocular kit UPDATE!! 1ST BUILD IS DONE, UPDATE ON 1ST POST

Cutting a hole behind each lens so you could put optics behind them.
The one I am selling now (https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=288118) had a solid lens plate
so when Steve built it for me he put holofoil behind the lenses to make it look more interesting.

If you can see thru the lenses might as well.

If you have a Kalimar one could conceivably remove the iris and put it behind the lenses.

Cutting a hole behind each lens so you could put optics behind them.
The one I am selling now (https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=288118) had a solid lens plate
so when Steve built it for me he put holofoil behind the lenses to make it look more interesting.

If you can see thru the lenses might as well.

If you have a Kalimar one could conceivably remove the iris and put it behind the lenses.

optics, like a dvr ?
I can do that, how big a hole you need? 1" 1 1/4" ? that's about the size of the rear lens

I did not answer your last question on the spacing. yes you can turn the lens rings with out hitting the opposite lens, BUT the knobs will collide. the plates are not wide enough to get that done :lol
you can see in my earlier post that know is next to the other lens and does not touch

A diameter for the hole should be the diameter of the back lens element (glass),
obviously no the diameter of the entire lens itself (so we can glue it in place).

Spacing: as long as it's accurate, that's proper and how it should be done, IMO.

are you going to mount the optic to the plate or inside the lens? I found the closer you get the camera eye to the front lens the better visibility you will get. I on my builds I remove the bac glass and glue the eye to the lens. as the lens telescopes in and out the position of the eye and the front glass does not change and will not distort the image further. it got bad when I first mounted it to the lens plate then turned the lens ring, it got way out of focus.

That's what I'd like to do.

I'd make two holes in the Eumig as large as needed for whatever camera (dashboard video?) that I find.
One would not have a camera, but there would be a hole w/ perhaps a part of a rifle scope behind it so they both looked similar from the front.

Trooper, you can ignore my email about the holes in the plate. I didn't see this thread. Lol! My old lenses had EL sheet in them but they were resin replicas. Not sure if I can take the real lens apart and accomplish the same thing. It also bugged me that when the light was off, the EL sheet looked pink.

Trooper, you can ignore my email about the holes in the plate. I didn't see this thread. Lol! My old lenses had EL sheet in them but they were resin replicas. Not sure if I can take the real lens apart and accomplish the same thing. It also bugged me that when the light was off, the EL sheet looked pink.

did you try putting a very thin sheet of plastic in front of the el sheet? it would hide the color and also allow light to shine through.

For my dupes, I used giant googly-eyes for the lenses. Lol! They worked really well because they are curved. Still didn't hide the pink. Here is what they looked like:

kgar5.jpg

How does your transition box look mounted? I think I need to replace mine. I have the mystery wedge (if it hasn't already been identified) and it just doesn't fit well at all:

box2.jpg

I don't know if mine is sized correctly and just too far over or what.

box1.jpg

I should have said, have you tried putting a this sheet of whit or another color plastic in front of the light sheet. :)

I'm not sure if it's the positioning of your transition box, or the size...maybe a little of both.
here are a couple pics of my resin prop

IMG_5281[1].JPG

IMG_5282[1].JPG

IMG_5283[1].JPG

IMG_5284[1].JPG

IMG_5286[1].JPG

For my dupes, I used giant googly-eyes for the lenses. Lol! They worked really well because they are curved. Still didn't hide the pink. Here is what they looked like:

http://www.heycomputer.com/kgar5.jpg

How does your transition box look mounted? I think I need to replace mine. I have the mystery wedge (if it hasn't already been identified) and it just doesn't fit well at all:

http://www.heycomputer.com/box2.jpg

I don't know if mine is sized correctly and just too far over or what.

http://www.heycomputer.com/box1.jpg

Looks good! Yep, I'm gonna have to break mine down and re-do it. I at least have the correct eumig. Lol!

Got the parts. Big thanks on the speedy delivery! Your transition box and plate were actually closer in size to mine than I thought. Whoever made mine years ago did a decent job. In my haste to get the viewer off, I ended up half destroying mine because the screws were started from the inside. Afterward, I figured out that the viewer slides off of the frame! Doh! One of my many face-palm moments.

Now for the questions. How did you get your transition box to fit up against the little meter thing at the top? My box had an inset section in back that allowed it to fit snug up against the camera body. Yours is perfectly flat. Did you grind the lip off of the camera body to get the box to sit higher?

Mine. Ugly but no guess work on placement. Which is bad really because it needed to be over more so I'd have room for the wedge:
mac4.jpg

Yours. See the lip that it bumps up against. How did you fix it?:
mac3.jpg

My lenses in your plate. I have discovered my lenses are different so the knobs don't line up! Does anyone else have mismatched ones? Wanna trade? :) See the FT numbers on the inside:
mac2.jpg

Do you have any good technique to get the plate to line up and get the holes drilled? Thanks again for making all of this possible!

Got the parts. Big thanks on the speedy delivery! Your transition box and plate were actually closer in size to mine than I thought. Whoever made mine years ago did a decent job. In my haste to get the viewer off, I ended up half destroying mine because the screws were started from the inside. Afterward, I figured out that the viewer slides off of the frame! Doh! One of my many face-palm moments.

Now for the questions. How did you get your transition box to fit up against the little meter thing at the top? My box had an inset section in back that allowed it to fit snug up against the camera body. Yours is perfectly flat. Did you grind the lip off of the camera body to get the box to sit higher?

Mine. Ugly but no guess work on placement. Which is bad really because it needed to be over more so I'd have room for the wedge:
http://www.heycomputer.com/mac4.jpg

Yours. See the lip that it bumps up against. How did you fix it?:
http://www.heycomputer.com/mac3.jpg

My lenses in your plate. I have discovered my lenses are different so the knobs don't line up! Does anyone else have mismatched ones? Wanna trade? :) See the FT numbers on the inside:
http://www.heycomputer.com/mac2.jpg

Do you have any good technique to get the plate to line up and get the holes drilled? Thanks again for making all of this possible!

I cut it off with a grinder wheel :)
IMG_5333[1].JPG

I can fix your lenses so they are near perfect , I would need you to send them to me. one quick and dirty way wold be to remove the 4 screws on the bottom of the lens and rotate the bottom the next holes and see if that is better.
IMG_5334[1].JPG

doing it the better way

IMG_5335[1].JPGIMG_5336[1].JPG

forgot to mention, take piece of sticky paper, I used a postage label. tape it to the plate. trace the outline of the plate on the paper and poke the holes through the paper into the plate holes. cut out the paper so you have a perfect template, line it up and mark out where your holes should be.

Can´t make out any "mystery box" on the stunts?! :confused

looks like they mocked something up to look like the connector plug

Copy of Stunt Macros 2.jpgcamera7.jpgCeqq3lPXIAEmJMk.jpg

Attachments

• 25EB4EA000000578-0-image-a-30_1424547105283.jpg
    25EB4EA000000578-0-image-a-30_1424547105283.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 85
  • tumblr_naksmmrjCz1s2wio8o5_1280.jpg
    tumblr_naksmmrjCz1s2wio8o5_1280.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 87
I cut it off with a grinder wheel :)

Cool. I filed mine down. Looks so much better now.

I can fix your lenses so they are near perfect , I would need you to send them to me. one quick and dirty way wold be to remove the 4 screws on the bottom of the lens and rotate the bottom the next holes and see if that is better.

I'll see what I can come up with. I actually thought about reattaching the nubs to other places on the lens ring. I'd have to drill tiny holes for the screws though. I've also noticed that one lens sets up just a millimeter higher when screwed all the way down but I can live with that.

Thanks!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back