wip--lukes macrobinocular kit UPDATE!! 1ST BUILD IS DONE, UPDATE ON 1ST POST

Re: wip--lukes macrobinocular kit PIC HEAVY !!!!!!

OK, now the work on the viewer starts, by doing something i never thought i would do

**warning** the following pictures are not for the weak stomached, soooo....if your going to puke, get a bucket

I performed major surgery on the kalimar viewer, from the three lower pieces i will make vacuform bucks.

For sure i will not see that difference, thank god i already have a Eumig, B+H, and Seagull. :cool
But i´m still in need of all the Kalimar related parts. (And need to make the plate and transition box.)

Hey Michael

Don´t want to spoil the fun, but you don´t need the transition box and viewer hood anymore ;)

Markus

Hey Michael

Don´t want to spoil the fun, but you don´t need the transition box and viewer hood anymore ;)

Markus

Hi Markus,

it was no spoiler - i just logged in here a few minutes ago ... and the parcel arrived 15 minutes before that. :D That way i had already some time to play with a box full of new toys. :cool Thank you, Sir, thank you very much. :$

Re: wip--lukes macrobinocular kit

aahh did he get one of the cameras off abay or did you hook em up? :)

No, even better - he generously gifted me one of his cast transition boxes and a real Kalimar viewer. :cool It´s great to have such friends.

It arrived together with parts for my Hoth binoc, and a massive amount of cast rocker switches for my Star Trek themed homecinema. :love

Now, let´s sing some christmas songs, i´m a happy camper. :)

gladd to see your gettin set up, now lets see some pics of the stuff your working on :)
i was a home theater tech/designer for many years, i built some pretty crazy systems, i would like to see what doing.

markus your awsome (y)thumbsup

gladd to see your gettin set up, now lets see some pics of the stuff your working on :)
i was a home theater tech/designer for many years, i built some pretty crazy systems, i would like to see what doing.

I´m not showing any pics here, cause to avoid any distraction of your great buildup thread. :thumbsup

But you can have a look on it im this thread: http://www.therpf.com/f9/enterprise-style-home-cinema-90390/

I hope to find some time to assemble the new switch panels, and then take some pics of it´s current state (not that much progress as i wished, but still some).

markus your awsome (y)thumbsup

Indeed, he is. :)

i ended up casting the hinge, after long searching i figured it was easier and much cheaper to just recast it. unless any of you witty folks out there know where i can get hinge that has 3mm round by 10mm long knuckles ??

here is a quick video on how i did it :)
0 18 - YouTube

another quick update, i made a buck for vacuforming the viewer hood, here is the first of two pulls from 060 styrene. i think the detail came out really nice. although while pulling the buck from the vacuformed sheet the buck broke :( , so im making a new one........crap !!!
i tried to show the clean edges of the detail, but the white styrene just comes out a blur....oh well.......

another update :)
ive been working on the viewer, here are some pics of what i threw together real quick, it is very rough trimmed, i made this only to test it's strength. ive chosen 040 styrene for the hood and the other parts ( not sure what to call em ), I'll call em side plates for now.
i must say im real pleased with how it came out, i cut out the side plates and bonded them to the center plate with "weld on", super glue will not hold like this stuff, it welds the pieces together very nicely.
the view hood was my only concern, i knew i could do it, i didn't know what media would work best, staying with plastic seems to be the best choice. now i will search for some one to laser cut the parts for me.
the little flip up lens plate will be vacu formed, thats next to be made :)

Last edited:

I can't wait to see this whole thing come together.

Outstanding as always!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i was aksed several weeks ago from some one, i dont remember who, but he wanted to know how strong the resin is since some of the parts are thin, i told him i would do a pressure test to show just how strong this stuff is, so here it is. sorry it took so long :)
0 20 - YouTube

any one got a clue on how to replicate these ?? can a painting mask be made for the kalimar logo and the arrow?

here is a real short video update.... enjoy :)

0 21 - YouTube

Last edited:

Why do you want to replicate the label and logo? The only one I could see replicating is the eumig and even then, it will be covered with the clear plastic piece.

Why do you want to replicate the label and logo? The only one I could see replicating is the eumig and even then, it will be covered with the clear plastic piece.

Because he CAN, judging by the awesome job he did so far :lol

Markus

Lol! Point taken. I'm just wondering if he's trying to make some killer macrobinoculars or a killer vintage camera?

Lol! Point taken. I'm just wondering if he's trying to make some killer macrobinoculars or a killer vintage camera?

thanks guys :) your comments really fuels me to get this going :thumbsup

clutch your right on both counts, to get the killer macro i need to start by replicating the cameras as best as you can, it's the small details that make models and props REALLY pop out ;) like they say, the devils in the details

i do have some one who will be working on laser cutting the styrene, so that part will be done soon, i just need to figure out how to replicate these other parts and im pretty much done. i think the water slide decals onto metal is most likely the best bet, but Ive never made em and im not that computer literit.......is any one out there willing to help out here ? :)

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back