wip--lukes macrobinocular kit UPDATE!! 1ST BUILD IS DONE, UPDATE ON 1ST POST

Re: wip--lukes macrobinocular kit

I got the transition box made.
i would love to here some feedback from the accuracy hounds out there :)

from the pics i could find this looks dead on to me.

I got the transition box made.
i would love to here some feedback from the accuracy hounds out there :)

from the pics i could find this looks dead on to me.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That looks perfect. I can't believe how great that looks.

I'm not in the expert camp on the Macros but that sure looks dead on to me.

Outstanding. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :love :love :love :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

I think this is a great idea. Those lenses are awesome. There are just not enough real parts for everyone and this is a good alternative. Doing it in parts will make it so people can upgrade as they find real parts too. Doubly good. If the prices are decent i will get some lenses.

the eumig parts im making can also be added to the eumig electric and pos. a couple other models, the main body cast is 99.99% exactly the same, just one easy to remove small tab inside.

here is the first pull for the trans. box i have to do over the seagull buttons, i dont like the Way they came out. BUT im very happy with the box :D this was strait out of the mold, the only clean up needed is to flat sand the bottom.
this old boy needs some sleep 3am and i have to be up in 5 hours....but thats what coffee is for :confused remember , the first pull always pulls out residue/garbage out of the mold, or in this case, a little black paint :)

More, more, more. Must have more.

This thing is gonna be so cool.

I for sure want to do some type of optics, video camera, etc. This will be too cool not to be functional.

You sir are a Prop God. I bestow said title on you.

More, more, more. Must have more.

This thing is gonna be so cool.

I for sure want to do some type of optics, video camera, etc. This will be too cool not to be functional.

You sir are a Prop God. I bestow said title on you.

uhoh! now my hat isnt going to fit :lol

If you can make a opening and closing viewfinder we will have to create a new title. Prop God won't due.

If you can make a opening and closing viewfinder we will have to create a new title. Prop God won't due.

ppfff, thats the easy part , these lens' are a bugger to get cast with out bubbles getting trapped inside.
i have to look at these differently to see how i can vent the molds better.

some one recently asked me, " just how for are you going in this "

is this any indication :D

aaaand heres some more
yes the battery door opens and closes.
my thought here was if some one wanted to convert a eumig electric which is much more available and cheaper, i just bought one for $5 :), these parts will do that, the front plate in in silicone right now, it should be done tonight.

Forget the parts...I´m interested in your molds!!! ;)

Would like to see how you set up the parts in the silicone, so that you receive such great results!?

STUNNING WORK MAN!!!!

Markus

here is most of the molds i have so far for the macro's , a couple others are curing as we speak. most of the prts were glued to a glass surface since there were flat spots to work with, hot glued top halves of paper cups around the parts and poured silicone. the eumig parts i glued thick styrene strips to the ends i was glueing down, built the foam core boxes and poured away :) absolutely nothing tricky dicky :lol very simple
the ones on the upper left are for an upcoming enterprise shuttle bay kit im working on.
the bottom left is obviously a single point mold, i was contacted and commissioned to make this guy a resin single point scope, there spending for a resin cast, but can you tell the difference in the two scopes ? which one is the real one ? :D i did have a small issue with that mold, the release spray i used didnt do such a good job and the mold has some small tearing, but the casts are fine, normal clean work.

Last edited:

Thanks for the pics :thumbsup

A couple more questions, I you don´t mind...
Do you hotglue the parts to the glass? I did on some of my parts but the glue makes the part "rise" and the silicone seeps under the master, resulting in addtl. cleanup of the molds.
I see little to no pour-spots on your molds for the smaller stuff such some lense-parts. How do you get your resin "in" (not talking about the "regular" one-part-molds)?
I guess you degass the RTV AND pressure cast the resin, right?
What brands do you use?

I was using SmoothOns MoldMax and/ or SmootSil but always had problems with high/ thick molds not degassing properly and shrinkage :(

I switched to MoldStar 15 now AND bought a vac-system....works much better, but it´s too late for my Binocs run, which is almost ready.

p.s:
Thanks for the offer, I´d be all over a trade if I wouldn´t have a "real" set of macros already :thumbsup

And that SP is awesome!!! Would be interested in a few clear cast cones, if possible?
(my guess, lower is real ;))

Can´t wait for your updates!!!

Markus

" Do you hot glue the parts to the glass? "
no, i use a small drops of super glue

" I see little to no pour-spots on your molds for the smaller stuff such some lense-parts. How do you get your resin "in" "
i think your talking about the shuttle bay doors mold ? thats what i call a squishy mold, I'll pour resin in one side and place the other half in place, always pour in extra so your sure there is enough resin inside, the excess will squish out :) i can do a short viddy on some of this stuff.
im currently using smooth cast 305 resin , i also use smooth on rebound 25 rtv, but have recently switched to polytek tinsil 80-30 , i prefer platinum based silicones but i got a smokin deal on 45 pounds of the 80-30 which is tin based.
ive never had problems with shrinkage, but i have been letting my rtv sit in the vac chamber for at least 10 minutes ( this advice was courtesy of IEDBOUNTYHUNTER ) i have not had any further issues with bubbles being created after it was poured in the mold.
i have not pressure cast this resin yet, i have not really needed to, the bubble troubles i am having are undercuts where the bubbles cant release.

Thanks for the offer, I´d be all over a trade if I wouldn't´t have a "real" set of macros already

And that SP is awesome!!! Would be interested in a few clear cast cones, if possible?

hmm, i can add the scope cones in with payment for your kit :D ..that is IF im on " THE LIST" :lol
i also have optic , check this link out http://www.therpf.com/f13/convert-your-single-point-scope-casts-vintage-161352/

" (my guess, lower is real ) " you can see the red paint on the scope huh :) i tried to get it out of the pic ;)

Re: wip--lukes macrobinocular kit PIC HEAVY !!!!!!

i finished the front plate to the servomatic this morning, this is the pull, i have a couple spots i need to vent so the air can escape, other than that, it's a nice mold.
i added some of the detail pieces, note, the body is a eumig electric

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back