The RPF 2012 Halloween Costume Contest - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Re: *** the RPF 2012 Halloween Costume Contest ***

This may be a stupid question, but it's been nagging me in the back of my mind. Should we upload the 'proof' photo in the costume contest gallery along with the main entry photo?

This may be a stupid question, but it's been nagging me in the back of my mind. Should we upload the 'proof' photo in the costume contest gallery along with the main entry photo?

Nope! Just in your build thread. The gallery is for the photo you want to be judged on when all is said & done. :)

i have made and sewed my own suit and recently bought a morph suit and made a cane can i enter as a home made slender man

Unfortunately no. However, you can both enter together as a "group" if you wish or, if your friend helped make the costume, get him to sign up and enter it under a different username.

The "one entry" rule is to prevent people from entering a bunch of costumes in the hopes of snagging multiple prizes or increasing their odds. In your situation I would pick the one that you're most proud of and enter that. :thumbsup

Ok thanks a bunch :)

I'm new to all of this, I will be constructing a costume using a few tuts on here. "Captain America" WW2ish can I link some YouTube videos of my progress?

I'm new to all of this, I will be constructing a costume using a few tuts on here. "Captain America" WW2ish can I link some YouTube videos of my progress?

Of course! In your build thread you can link to any videos/pictures of your progress you like. :thumbsup

Seems like a good opportunity to get more active in the community! Just been upgrading an old costume, it's alright to enter it if It's already won a couple non-rpf awards right? :)

Love this forum!

...We fully EXPECT contestants to promote themselves (facebook, twitter, etc) and to push for votes...
...On Nov 5, we will open the gallery to voting and have the members vote on the winners...
A clarification on this if I may ask?

The 2nd quote seems to imply that only RPF members will be allowed to vote. The 1st endorses recruitment of votes from the general public.

Will my Facebook friends need to register for the RPF in order to cast votes?

Also, as a side question, have safeguards been put in place to prevent cookie-resetting multi-votes from the same bot .. er.. I mean voter, and other such cool internet polling tricks? :p

Thanks.

~ Vonnor

A clarification on this if I may ask?

The 2nd quote seems to imply that only RPF members will be allowed to vote. The 1st endorses recruitment of votes from the general public.

Will my Facebook friends need to register for the RPF in order to cast votes?

Also, as a side question, have safeguards been put in place to prevent cookie-resetting multi-votes from the same bot .. er.. I mean voter, and other such cool internet polling tricks? :p

Thanks.

~ Vonnor

A very good question which I will forward on to Art. I am under the impression that only members can vote and that multi-votes are prevented based on login. The "public recruitment" aspect is, I believe, to encourage folks to come here, see the talent, and then join up.

Will confirm for you though!

I can confirm that indeed you do have to be a registered member to vote and there are safeguards in place to help prevent voter fraud. :thumbsup

This is a perfect chance to get your friends to sign up! Next time someone posts "that's really cool" on your FB page point 'em here and tell them they can do it too!

I know it's too late for this year and it may have been discussed after last year, but why not keep the voting to members who have only had a registered account for a specific amount of time? Like maybe 30 days prior to the start of the contest? That way it's not just a bunch of people registering for an account just to vote and then disappearing from the forum.

I know I personally won't bother sending the link to friends/family as I know they won't register for a forum just to vote. That was the feedback I got from everyone I sent it to last year (before the public voting was closed) was "if I have to register, I'm not going to be voting". The only ones who will are already here and contributing in one form or another.

I understand that part of this contest is to drum up more interest in the RPF, but to me it doesn't make sense to increase the number of inactive accounts on the forum.

Just my $0.02

I know it's too late for this year and it may have been discussed after last year, but why not keep the voting to members who have only had a registered account for a specific amount of time? Like maybe 30 days prior to the start of the contest? That way it's not just a bunch of people registering for an account just to vote and then disappearing from the forum.

I know I personally won't bother sending the link to friends/family as I know they won't register for a forum just to vote. That was the feedback I got from everyone I sent it to last year (before the public voting was closed) was "if I have to register, I'm not going to be voting". The only ones who will are already here and contributing in one form or another.

I understand that part of this contest is to drum up more interest in the RPF, but to me it doesn't make sense to increase the number of inactive accounts on the forum.

Just my $0.02

There is certainly that aspect to it. I guess my only response would be that those who would normally not be bothered with the site are much more unlikely to register just to vote.

Contests as I see them serve a few different purposes:

A - First and foremost they showcase the talent and creativity here on the forum.

B - They make the forum a little more "exciting" by encouraging people to push their talents and engage in some friendly competition.

C - They are advertising for the site. As much as having a person register just to vote for their friend might sound bad it still is an opportunity. Here's a person who may have never found us if it weren't for this competition and while they're here they may look around and become "one of us". I lurked here for years before finally becoming a member. If I had seen competitions with prizes I thought I could win I would have probably registered much earlier. As a matter of fact I had very few posts until a dollar store lightsaber contest came around, that's what opened me up to contributing to the forum rather than just reading it.

Will we get some accounts that forever stay at 0 posts? Probably. I don't see them as really hurting anything though and there's always the potential of them eventually coming on board.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back