[Iron Man] Mk. II Flight Stabilizer Gauntlet v2 - DONE!

Re: [Iron Man] Mk. II Flight Stabilizer Gauntlet v2

With the amount of time each one of these takes to make, if I were to ever do a run it would be very limited!

Another small update. The last piece to fabricate is this little guy, circled in red:

20091205_6e8704af1247b8cc537cuLilAbcjU41I-1-1.jpg

I tried initially shaping aluminum, but the result was sloppy. So I thought I would teach myself a new skill! Using some scrap styrene I had, I laminated three pieces together with plastic cement to get the proper thickness. Then I used a file to shape it, and then sanded the final shape out with some sand paper. I'm going to get some molding and casting supplies, and make molds of each piece and cold-cast them (molding and casting being the new skill :))

IMG_20121211_123403.jpg

IMG_20121211_123422.jpg

Once I have the cast copies, I will polish (and paint if necessary) then do some final assembly on the piece. After that, I should be ready for final assembly! :love

This is coming along nicely. Would like to put one of these together later on. Are you adding any electronics to this?

I really want it..
Kev if you do a v3 make sure you let me know I would love to buy this piece!
Great research pays off, your work is prove of this..
Well Done
Chris

Picked up some molding/casting supplies today! This is my first venture in either skill, so we will see how this goes :lol

I got the Alumilite Super Casting Kit from Hobby Lobby (retails $69.99, but used a 40% off coupon). The kit comes with 1lb of Quickset mold making rubber, 28oz of casting resin, 1lb of clay, mold release, measuring cups and stir sticks.

IMG_20121212_114733.jpg

IMG_20121212_115016.jpg

Not too bad for $40 for a beginner to learn on!

So I built two mold boxes using foam core board. I will need to cast two copies of the main body and four copies of the plates that attach to the body. After the two boxes were built, I glued each piece down and mixed and poured the rubber. So here is where we are at:

IMG_20121212_123240.jpg

Cure time is between 8-18 hours, so I will revisit them tomorrow to see how they turned out! If all goes well, I should be able to cast my pieces tomorrow afternoon :thumbsup

Kev, nice work brah can't wait ta see more Keep up th' good work.:popcorn

That's a long cure time. I think the stuff I used was 3 hours but i always gave it more time. I can't wait to see more of this build.

Yeah, I had a bit of leftover rubber so I poured some over a coin. Much smaller mold, and it was fully cured at around the 6 hour mark. The other two are still feeling a little soft, so I'm going to let them go overnight just to be safe :thumbsup

Very nice. I always enjoy seeing people working with actual metal and getting good results. The piping looks great, and I didn't notice any kinks at all. Do mind saying how much the water jetting cost? I've looked into other CNC services, and it's typically pretty pricey.

Very nice. I always enjoy seeing people working with actual metal and getting good results. The piping looks great, and I didn't notice any kinks at all. Do mind saying how much the water jetting cost? I've looked into other CNC services, and it's typically pretty pricey.

I don't remember the exact cost, but it is all dependent on the material you use and the time it takes to cut. The local shop I used charges by the minute plus materials. I want to say it was around $160 for two sets, including the sheet of aluminum

Amazing! Have you contemplated in the foreseeable future of building the legs too?

The boots are an entirely different beast all their own! The amount of detail on them is quite overwhelming :wacko

Quick update on the casting. The molds turned out well, and I cast my pieces last night. The Alumilite has a quick kick, starting at about 90 seconds. Fully cured in less than 10 minutes. Here are the first casts next to the masters

IMG_20121213_220135.jpg

IMG_20121213_220209.jpg

Definitely needs some cleanup before finishing. A little bit of sanding and the tiniest bit of putty should get these in good shape for final assembly :thumbsup

I can't wait to see what this looks like in finished form! So far, it looks excellent!

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I did some sanding and slight filling on the pieces this morning. Just waiting on the filler putty to dry so I can do another sanding pass before I lay some primer on!

Alright, here is the piece assembled and primed. Just needs some finishing :)

IMG_20121219_215944.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back