Question about War Machine helmet pepakura

LastKNIGHT

MHJgX.png

I was looking at Juice's War Machine helmet pepakura file and just couldn't understand why there are gaps on the circled parts.

Also, the faceplate on the 3D model looks like it slopes upward on the sides but the 2D pattern looks completely horizontal. Can someone explain how it ends up looking like that?

They're rendering artifacts from joining faces and removing flaps. Get creative with how you want to deal with them, there's no right or wrong way.

Alright, thanks guys. I was just puzzled because I didn't know whether that meant you had to do something special for that piece or something.

Pepakura lays out the model faces (the 2D blueprints that gets printed out) assuming it will be put on paper. And since paper can't bend in more than one direction, it's trying to split the faces up. You'll get the best results if you use the foam files as a guideline, not as a by-the-numbers layout like you would with a normal paper pepakura build.

I'm pretty sure there's a thread around here somewhere about how to combine parts and ignore certain cuts for foam builds. Xrobots kinda goes into it in one of his videos but I forget which. Really you get a feel for how foam works as you build and you'll see what stuff you can combine and ignore and so on.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back