TDKR Bane Costume

athelu

I was thinking of doing a bane costume this year. I have seen some chatter on here, but not really a collection thread. Do we have any good source images or leads on the actual items used for the film costume?

I know some people have used a molle vest, and most of the searching seems to point that the jacket is a Swedish pilots coat. Just trying to gather as much detail and source as I can before I start getting things together.

Swedish pilot coat you say.. gotta look it up xD must be avaliable in some of the old stores here in Stockholm.
I'm eager to see how your build turns out :)

So for me, the exact replica isn'tgoing to happen - some pieces are easier to come by, and I am going to make this WIP on using some.

Here are some of pieces that I have gathered:

Alice Straps (military Surplus)
AliceStr_zps53f129c2.jpg

Rothco Olive Drab Molle Vest
RothcoVest_zpsb5498de4.jpg

Surplus Pistol Belts
belt_zps222640f7.jpg

Bates Tactical Boots, Red paraCard, Thermal Shirt
SmallBoots_zpsff79c224.jpg

Off White Web Belts
WebBelts_zpsaa61d891.jpg

I started with removing the Buckles on the Rothco vest. These aren't needed. I saved the strapping thoough. The small side strip I sewed for a loop:
SmallInvertLoop_zps4e0db1bf.jpg

I just ran a straight line across, the inverted the loop to hide the seem:
RightLoop_zps5d690834.jpg

These will be the loops placed on the chest straps, to hold the Alice Straps and the Pistol belts.

Last edited:
You want packer boots, which are the closest to the Bane costume. Unless you are lucky enough to find one of those older WW2 boots, they're the way to go. Can't wait to see more of your progress

my searching on the forum did not find those - by my google-fu did. Thanks for the link.

@rdmaul
How did you go about weathering up your boots?

Ha, I was going to buy that exact Rothco vest, until I found Darth Raijlin's thread where he linked to a very similar one for $10 less. Heh, every penny counts round here these days!

New find!
After reviewing the tactical bane thread I had me head set on picking up a basic LBV in order to get the green back panel for the costume; Problem was that they were either camoflage or had a big US stamped on them, on top of being $12-20. I ended up finding a Marine Grenade pouch that is the same dimension and has a nice stuffed padding in it similar to the original cosutme. I will need to take my seem ripper to it to remove the straps and puch cover, but I think it will work great.

MarineGrenadePouch_zpsb383e932.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the Marine grenade pouch with the top flaps cut off. I plan on sewing the puches closed, and if I can find a small enough ziipper will add it. I will finish the top edge with some bias tape, as well as add the D-rings and Wholes to pass the pistol belts through.
MarineGrenadePouch2_zps20c58cda.jpg

The 1-1/4" mini pistol belts will become the chest straps. Dissassemble them by prying the clips open on the back side of the slide adjuster.
BeltRemoval_zps70453dc6.jpg

Once you get one side off you can slide the Clip , and the adjustment clip off the end. The Black Clips we will use for the white belts - you can see them here on the disiplay:
BeltLoopclip_zpsf62bdc5c.jpg

BaneBelt_zpsa9b5f794.jpg

The Pistol Belts get attached to the Either side of the alice straps:
Alice-WebBelt_zps8d2681c9.jpg

The red Paracord is used for the pulls on the Alice Straps. Use both loose ends of the paracords to tie an overhand knot. Next I worked on the Alice Straps. I removed the back section of the straps, as these are not needed:

Alice-Removed_zps7b5d7f32.jpg

Here is a picture of the loops I created attached to the Alice Straps and the pistol belts. the sizing of the alice straps to the mini pistol belts seems to be spot on.
Alice-Loop_zpsd588547b.jpg

I have decided to remove all of the molle loops from the vest. here is a picture of the back of the vest with all the straps removed
Back-MolleRemoved_zpsb1d8433f.jpg

Here is the armor plate i have laid out:
BackBackPlate_zpsdc204197.jpg

It does not match the design of the back completely, as I wanted to keep it from overlapping the buckle straps. Doing so prevented me from moving it up on to the shoulders like the one from the movie.

I will probably remove the the molle loops from the front as well. I have not done this yet, but plan to. Here is the armor plate I have laid out for the front. I used reference points on the vest from the source images for sizing.

BaneFrontPlate_zps35542c23.jpg

At this point I do not plan on doing plates on the shoulders or on the sides, as there really is not that much room left.

When I was picking out the Vinyl to use for the armor plates, I really wanted one without a grain pattern - but all of those had a REALLY shiny finish. I opted instead for the only one I found that had a matte finish. I traced the armor plates I made, and added 1/2" an inch, as my plan right now is to use some bias tape to finish the edges and to attache to the vest:
VinylCutouts_zps0a19ef75.jpg

Vinyl_matte_zpsfb4fad5e.jpg

I used the pictures from the singapore display to get some dimensions for the straps on the boots. From that I made some templates:
Templates_zps8371cc77.jpg

I transferred these to some 4-5oz suede finished leather:
BootLowerStrap_zps3b8c70dd.jpg

BootUpperStrap_zps4338b2aa.jpg

When I sized it originally I planned on using 3/4" buckles, but when I went to pick them up, I thought they looked just way to big so I went with 5/8" instead. I made the straps up to accomodate these.
LeatherStraps_zpsf4c1c1d6.jpg

here is a pic of the buckles I am using too -
Buttons-Buckle_zps2b324595.jpg

The ones from the display seem really close, but they are all dirtied up.

The other item are some worn brass buttons. When looking at the few pictures of the BACK of the bane vest, the leather back support looks like it has buttons - not rivets to me. This might also make it easier to put the belt on/off, if the are hooking the white belt straps on the back to buttons, instead of them being riveted in place. Just a though now, but one I am going to try to implement once I pick up my next piece of leather to make the back support.

Here are the pants that I have picked out. These are some Rothco Grey tactical pants. These are some knee pads I found at home depot I plan to use.
BanePants_zps8132f7a8.jpg

Did quite a bit more work to the front of the molle vest that I originally intended. I decided to remove all of the molle straps. I then decided to remove the zipper. Once removing the zipper, I figured I needed to put buckles on in place of the straps that were there originally. I still need to remove the straps hanging at the bottom. I put Velcro on the shoulders and on the bottom of the alice straps to help keep them in place. I used black bias tape to finish the edges of the vinyl, then attached the vinyl plus the padding to the vest.

BaneArmorFront.jpg

On the back of the vest, I had to put the buckles on, here as well. Here you can see the modified marine grenade pouch I decided to use on the back panel. I feel it worked out pretty well.

BaneArmorBack.jpg

Here is the work on my boots up till this point. I have finished the buckles and straps and attached them to the boots. I did not bother attaching the top section, as from the source photos it does not appear that it was mounted to the boots either.

BaneBoots1.jpg

Here you can see the top set of straps in place. Now I need to beat these things up and dirty them up.

BaneBoots2.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back