The Force Unleashed 2 - Starkiller lightsaber replica

namivanmar

Hello Everyone

I just played TFU2 and really liked starkillers lightsaber and started planning a basic "replica". I'm new to CAD drawing and started learning Solidworks because this project. (I'm familiar with 3dsmax but that's a different story).
I don't plan putting electronics in, first, I just liked to get something similar and see if it could be produced. I'm nut sure if I can find anyone who would machine the parts for me.
I only found 1 concept art for this saber which is quite low res. so my dimensions are estimated and rounded.
If you have any information about this saber please be kind and let me know or send some links.
Here's my basic modell and render:
lsb.jpg

I still need to tweak thing and figure out stuff, but I think I'm getting there. It' about 12 pieces now, I'd like to keep it simple.
I also would help to model or plan some props in my free time if anybody's interesred. Thanks!

I haven't played that game yet, still to stuck on The Old Republic for the time being. That looks like it would be a great place to start, fairly simple design to. What materials are you planning to use?

Cant wait to see more. :thumbsup

Avolow.

aluminium "pipes" and rods. I'd paint the black parts. Both ends have a shiny groove, but I don't know how to use different materials on one piece in solidworks yet.
The concept art suggests me that the whole "base"/middle part is a glowing white and the end pieces also have some glow, but I have to leave it for the time being.
Creating a glowing white body that doesn't show the inside electronics could be tricky, I guess.

I'd like to mill it out. I know someone who has a CNC machine but don't know what it's capable of so I talk to him as soon as I have more precise plans. But I'm affraid it's quite a basic small machine with not too many tools.

it looks fantastic. i'm more of a fan of Starkiller's lightsaber from the first TFU, it looked a bit more aggressive, but i do like using two sabers in TFU2

It would add to the cost, but if you're wanting accurate to that drawing you're going to need to find a CNC shop that has wire EDM. That's the only way to get those sharp cuts at the emitter. Also, I don't know how you're going to get those rings over the body shrouds. It would make more sense to make that whole section out of one piece and then have the cut outs between the rings where the two halves separate.

yeah I don't think I could find anyone nearby who could mill out every piece.
Oh and you're right I could not put them together as I wanted. I have to redesing some stuff. But If I can't find anybody to produce it then it doesn't matter :(

Thanks for the EDM tipp, I don't know much about this stuff, but I don't believe there's a single one of them in my country :\
So many obstackles.

Last edited:
Well, I ended up redesigning some parts, made it easier to produce. Only the emitter part that's a bit tricky, like Fenderbender said. I think the others could be made with 'basic' stuff. But now I have to fix the rings with small worm screws. I really want them seperate parts.
Also talked to my cousin who knows about this wire EMD cutter machines. He used to worked with companies that made parts and stuff, so maybe he could help me find somebody who would do it. I haven't told him about my plans though.
Here's a pic. of my drawing over the concept art and one exploded view:

lsb4.jpg

lsb3.jpg

Hmm....good work. i would put the male threads on the hilt side at the pommel and keep the pommel hollow. This would make it easier to add electronics later if you so chose.

I changed the end bits for inner threads so the base tube has the outer ones.
Also talked to my friend who builds and repairs RC planes and choppers. He said everything's fine and can be done. One of his friend could do the wire cut also. So in winter the whole project is a go, I hope. He really liked the idea because he doesn't really use his cnc and this would be a good exercise/project to learn. And it is for me also.

Ummmm tell me these are for sale! I'm literally about to finish my Force Unleashed 2 costume and I am going to need these. I'm actually astonished at the craftsmanship and close detail that is exhibited!!!!!

I'm only about to start this. I just got the materials, needs to be rough cut, then I can go and machine it. I only hope it will be done.
Also changed the plan. Instead of painting the black parts, they would be anodized.
If we manage to make one, then we could make more and sell it or whatever. First we need a prototype.
Also it could be upgraded. I only plan to have a basic stuff. No lights or sound but maybe they could be installed later.
The saber looks a bit weird on the concept art, like the whole base is glowing white. For that I don't have any idea yet.
I'd like to see your costume. I'm in love with the black flightsuit!

I read the force unleashed novels. They didn't mention it much in the games but in the novels the hilts glow a dim white.
Also, just tossing this out there but I got rid of my Xbox and replayed this game on pc.
it was noticeably more visually detailed.

Hey there. I know the hilt has a white glow to it (so as the pommels), but I have no idea how it could be made to look nice. I'd be happy if I could find someone to machine the parts for me and see how it would look. Then I could think about a glowing version.
So far I got no answer from anyone I've asked to make the parts. Still waiting for 2 companies to reply. After that I had no idea where to turn.
Only a 3D printer told me a price and that they had to print it in 2 parts because its size. But then it should be painted and I'd really love to have it as anodized alu.

back from the dead. after many years I got a 3D printer and printed my old design.
It won't be a fancy lit up hilt like the concept art but I should be ready for paint now

01.jpg

I know in the original game design every white part is illuminated but that would require a whole different planning and not even sure about how to do that while also hiding the electronics.
This was my first 3D printing and "prop" project and for that I think it turned out OK.
(I know the paint job is not perfect. Should have spent more time on filling and sanding)

IMAG1141.jpg

IMAG1145.jpg

IMAG1148.jpg

IMAG1152.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back