comic style batman help

bigtrev503

Hello there. I've been lurking around here a long time and posted a little about a year ago about stormtrooper advice and got pointed in the right direction by you aewesome guys. Well, hundreds of dollars later, I am currently starting a batman project. I wanted to start this one off on the less pricey side, which meant movie suits were out of the question. I am going to go with the comic style, and slowly replace a couple parts with more expensive parts later. Namely the cowl.

So far:

COWL: $18 ebay, shipped

I have acquired a rubies 92 cowl which is hanging in my closet with the ear reinforcement stuff drying. I got the tutorial from the brotherhood of the bat forum. Great place, BTW. This cowl is a placeholder and will be replaced later with a nice fan made one.

BODYSUIT: $35

I got the eastbay compression deal but I accidentally got two pants instead of a top and bottom. I then decided why not do two shirts, one with a big bat, and one with an oval yellow background.

BELT(S): $16 so far

I THEN decided why not do two belts. One with pockets (that looks a LOT like the JLA trophy room version) and one with only capsules (that looks a lot like the Neal Adams version). This is where the problem comes in; I cannot find a good source for cheap inspiration on the capsules, pockets, or a good buckle. I found a guy who makes the capsules and buckles, and they're awesome! However I don't want to spend a lot and I know there's gotta be something cheap I can use for those capsules.

Shooting for something about 1/4 smaller than this one:

http://4thwalldesign.webs.com/nealadams.htm

I have since found little digital camera pouches for two bucks apiece w/free shipping. I got 8. Only problem is they have zippers and I'd prefer snaps.

Also, I see a lot of people get the ten cartridge belt, dye it, add a buckle and call it good. I want mine to be different and have that "I made this in a cave out of a box of scraps" kind of feel to them. Using some kind of very inexpensive, around the house, type stuff. I have scoured this forum and the rest of the internet tirelessly for solutions but I know there's more out there than what I can dig up. I seem to hit the same things over and over.

I need a good cape pattern also. I can't seem to find one.

I'm in no hurry to get this one done by Halloween, BTW. I look forward to anything you guys have to say. You're awesome!!

Last edited:
You can find traveling toothbrush holders and replacement toilet paper holders at Wal-Mart very cheap, although they would need shortening.

traveling toothbrush - Google Search

toilet paper roll - Google Search

Maybe use cheap "chunky" magic markers? There's also plastic or cardboard coin holders; you could glue plastic or wooden domes on each end.

I cannot find a good source for cheap inspiration on the capsules, pockets, or a good buckle. I found a guy who makes the capsules and buckles, and they're awesome! However I don't want to spend a lot and I know there's gotta be something cheap I can use for those capsules.

Shooting for something about 1/4 smaller than this one:

Neal Adams Belt

I like the marker idea. I seep people use mini sharpies. I was looking at some other people's costumes that have a belt like this and some of the capsules are way too big. One guy had what looked like a smaller diameter pvc pipe with end caps.

I want mine to be a bit smaller and more flush without the appearance of end caps. I was looking into nerf darts last night. I know there are round tipped ones and maybe I can take the tip off one and put it in the end of another. Just a brainstorm so far.

Looking over the pictures, it seems the toothbrush holder could wor =k if it was cut down. I want slightly smaller, smooth, seamless capsules like the neal adams belt or the 89/returns belt.

As far as the base belt, I was trying to decide on material. Should it be webbing, used lady belt from the thrift store, heavy duty elastic? The buckle and the pouches will probably be a lot easier, but these damn cylindrical capsules!!!

The only problem with the round end Nerf darts is that they have velcro on the sides, so to be useable you'll need to remove the velcro first. This might take a bit and, depending on how securely they're glued on, you'll probably wreck a few in the process of removing the velcro.

Another option to consider are feminine hygiene products, I think some of them come in a rounded end tube shape. Just empty and paint the housing and you'd have your capsules. I'd also look for cigar cases/containers that individual cigars are sold in.

As far as the base belt, I was trying to decide on material. Should it be webbing, used lady belt from the thrift store, heavy duty elastic? The buckle and the pouches will probably be a lot easier, but these damn cylindrical capsules!!!

Personally, I'd go with a cotton or nylon webbing, and spray the belt and capsules/puches with a vinyl paint like this (it's available in yellow) - Dupli-Color :: Vinyl & Fabric Coating -so that everything matches.

You can find "domed" acrylic cabochons (circular and oval) in the jewlery department at places like Hobby Lobby. They don't get very much larger that maybe 5/8" (??), but plastics stores will have larger ones. Acrylic Cabochons : TAP Plastics.

You could even use a dowel rod for the body part, but too many of those might get heavy! :lol

The only problem with the round end Nerf darts is that they have velcro on the sides, so to be useable you'll need to remove the velcro first. This might take a bit and, depending on how securely they're glued on, you'll probably wreck a few in the process of removing the velcro.

Another option to consider are feminine hygiene products, I think some of them come in a rounded end tube shape. Just empty and paint the housing and you'd have your capsules. I'd also look for cigar cases/containers that individual cigars are sold in.

Holy frijoles!! That's thinking outside the (tampon) box. Genius, yet potentially humiliating.

Picture it:

Me: "Hey, uh, I need about 20 of your tampons."

My girlfriend: "Ha ha I knew you were on your period"

Me: "Shut up! It's for a costume!"

hahahahaaa

But seriously, that is a badass cheap idea. I'll look into that.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I got a great solution over at the brotherhood of the bat forum.

They're 1/2 inch acrylic tubes, cut to size and half sphere end caps glued to each end.

It's from TAP plastics TAP Plastics : TAP Plastics I happen to be lucky enough to live nearby a location!! I'm going down there next week.

A member told me he got six three inch capsules made for, like, $3.50.

I'm getting at least 12!!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back