DREDD 3D (2012) - Helmet Build - Finished Page 7

Re: DREDD 3D - Helmet Build

Hi,
newbie here, so sorry for some of the silly questions I'm about to ask (I'm more of a plastics and metal guy).

Are you using glued sheets of MDF for the material you're cutting?
I assume this is a computerised mill to take in your 3d image. How much would a mill like this cost?

Its called UDF (ultra dense foam) the brand I used is signfoam. Its a tooling board used in the sign industry. I glued them together and once the cnc code is generated from the tool pathing software its just a matter of sit and wait and watch. I built my first mill from scratch for about $3000. There are some decent starter kits out there and some good hobby machines. But industrial machines get into the $100,000 range. I wont tell you how much I paid for this setup, but feel free to contact K2CNC and get a quote if your interested in gettng into the cnc world.

What kind of polyurethane did you use to seal it if you dont mind ?

Ok so one of the tricks I use.. Is good old fashion thick house paint to fill the small pores. Then use good old fashion polyurethane sealer from homedepot (minwax or whatever). You can tint it with so-strong. Dont let the results fool you.. Thats probably 8-10 hours of sanding and tooling after the sealer cured. Its a lot of elbow greese, but the results are sweet.

Devin

Its called UDF (ultra dense foam) the brand I used is signfoam. Its a tooling board used in the sign industry. I glued them together and once the cnc code is generated from the tool pathing software its just a matter of sit and wait and watch. I built my first mill from scratch for about $3000. There are some decent starter kits out there and some good hobby machines. But industrial machines get into the $100,000 range. I wont tell you how much I paid for this setup, but feel free to contact K2CNC and get a quote if your interested in gettng into the cnc world.

Thanks. I came here to learn new skills and techniques, and it looks like I came to the right place! I'm looking forward to following your progress on this (I have all the AD2000 comics from number 1 -getting quite tatty now- , so Judge Dredd and the ABC warriors are particular favorites of mine).

I don't know what is more incredible... the sculpt (well, it isn't exactly a sculpt... what do you call it?) or the extremely short amount of time in which it took you to produce it!

Once I had the shape I wanted I used poly urethane to seal up the foam. Then.... sand ... sand.. sand.. and sand some more.. Still needs some bondo and touch-ups.. but its coming along nicely.

2012_09_27_18_47_17.jpg

I don't know what is more incredible... the sculpt (well, it isn't exactly a sculpt... what do you call it?) or the extremely short amount of time in which it took you to produce it!

Well Its still a digital sculpt. Some times sculpting in 3d is just as difficult as it is in the real world. I've done both.. But fabrication time is cut way down when you don't have to worry about symmetry as much.

I have to confess I did start on the model about a week before the movie release. But I promptly finished it and got my butt in the shop once I saw it.

Thankfully this is a very simple shape and design... so that helps.. no undercuts and no small techy greebly things.

-Devin

Re: DREDD 3D (2012) - Helmet Build

Fun time is over.. Guess its on to the molding.. Can I express how much I hate making molds... Just FYI I know I've been cranking on this.. But it maybe awhile before I get it in the molding room. So keep your eyes peeled.

2012_09_28_16_43_18.jpg

Great work on this one. It's really motivating me to work on mine. I hope mine comes out half as good. (Damn these hands!)

Man, that is absolutely beautiful.

But one question. I might have missed it if you mentioned it earlier, but why are you sculpting it with the visor part? Not planning on adding plastic or are you going to cut that off after the mold is done?

Man, that is absolutely beautiful.

But one question. I might have missed it if you mentioned it earlier, but why are you sculpting it with the visor part? Not planning on adding plastic or are you going to cut that off after the mold is done?

Exactly, the visor area will be cut out and a curved lens will be installed. It just gives me a nice even edge to follow when cutting that area out.

Fantastic work. Wow. :) Put me down for one...got to have it. Been working on my Karl Urban frown so I'm ready haha
CF

Can you take a photo of the backside of the helmet sculpt? I am curious about the beveled lines back there.

WOW, looking great, I love the way it was printed, or cut out or whatever, really looking forward to seeing this finished!

Looks awesome. I would love to have a CNC machine......What awesome things I could do with that or a 3d printer :lol. Keep up the good work :thumbsup. Can't wait to see the first cast.

The only thing I would have to critique before you mold would have to be the back where the raised area meets the red part. In some of the movie pics it looks like the raise area comes closer together toward the bottom then has a slight flare out right before it meets the red section.

Here is a pic to show kinda what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back