DREDD 2012 - Lawgiver MK2 Aluminium and printed parts

Re: DREDD 2012 - Lawgiver MK2 3D Print

I've lurked these boards for many moons.Seeing this made me get off my a*se and register.
I want one,please ,please count me in. No really.Please :)

I mention this in passing , if you're thinking of bringing this into the UK , you would best be advised in keeping it to a kit of component parts since these currently are ( mostly) exempt from the act , I speak from experience , and by the way your approach seems to me to be the best , one other point and I've mentioned it on other posts. this gun has a lot of on screen SFX features which we'd all love to have Plecter Labs did a phenomenal job on the Lawgiver 1 and his new board now has a colour screen , so maybe he could re-work it to give up a 2 version, the only addition I can see that would be needed is some servo control to drive the linear accuator they used for the barrel's extentions ( silencer) and retractions ( flash supressor) , I'm following a few of the lawgiver 2 builds as each may solve a particular problem with a novel and inexpensive solution --- oh and by the way I want one!! but me I'd like to put a PFC inside ( forward venting !! ) !! just to be different - guess what that'd look like!!

Wow it's been a while since I looked at this thread. As you probably guessed this project went on indefinite hold. Between the numerous badge builds and real life stuff I've not had any time to work on this one, not been in touch with Kenney for ages. Just one of those other things getting in the way til the project fizzles out scenarios. But... am hoping to change that soon. Recently had some dealings through my day job with a metalworking company, surprisingly not as expensive as I would've imagined which got me thinking.

And now the very vague hazy plan in my head would be instead of 100% 3d print which would get pretty expensive if producing kits this way (After playing around with resins for a bit I've reached the conclusion that a printed part would be way more durable if I want the kits to be used for functional recoil etc) I'm now thinking a mix of printed and aluminium components (a lot like what was used in the movie. It's not gonna happen straight away as I need to make some models and plans in order to get some quotes for the parts. With the metal in particular the more I buy the cheaper it would work out.

This may of course fizzle out like before but hoping to make some real progress in the near future. ;)

Re: DREDD 2012 - Lawgiver MK2 Aluminium and printed parts (maybe)

What's your minimum wall thickness on these parts and what are you going to print in? I've yet to come across a resin that doesn't WARP if you print large, flat areas like the side wall of that slide. (3Dsystems' machines seem to be better than Objet's, but both of them warp when printing in resin. I don't think I've tried other makes.) If you're doing a nylon print using SLS, you'll of course get durability that doesn't warp BUT there's that surface grain to contend with...

Thanks for the tips jo :)

The minimum wall on these parts is 2mm on the frame model and 3mm on the slide section. Going to buy the prints through sw (as long as they don't figure out they're for a replica gun lol, I've uploaded them separately as an lcd display frame and a speaker housing, fingers crossed)

Their black strong flexible material is a nylon plastic. Expecting them to be textured as my badges are which I may leave as is but if not it'll be either lots of careful sanding or if its too much hassle they now offer white strong flexible polished so I may try that and if it looks good I can just paint the parts after they arrive. Do you reckon these are thick enough to avoid too much warping?

Last edited:

I would say that there's a BIG chance that they will flag the slide piece (They flagged my master print BOTH times it was made). These days I'm paranoid of printing even non-weapon stuff because it seems that lots of stuff we make looks suspicious, so I try to keep projects off the search engines if possible.

Tip: Print them at Ponoko instead of you're doing them in Nylon. They're a tad more expensive, but they do NOT have an anti-weapon policy. (Quite the opposite... they'll print anything that's LEGAL. There's also a place in the UK that prints by VOLUME very cheaply but for things like these they would be more costly...
Oh, and I've found that the black coloring on the nylon is a waste of $ unless you're going to leave it untouched.

You should be OK with 2mm with nylon. It needs a lot of cleanup, but damn it's strong and holds a good shape.

Thanks for the tips jo :)

The minimum wall on these parts is 2mm on the frame model and 3mm on the slide section. Going to buy the prints through shapeways (as long as they don't figure out they're for a replica gun lol, I've uploaded them separately as an lcd display frame and a speaker housing, fingers crossed)

Their black strong flexible material is a nylon plastic. Expecting them to be textured as my badges are which I may leave as is but if not it'll be either lots of careful sanding or if its too much hassle they now offer white strong flexible polished so I may try that and if it looks good I can just paint the parts after they arrive. Do you reckon these are thick enough to avoid too much warping?

Cheers Jo, after getting the badges printed I was amazed how strong that stuff is. Definitely what I'd want the final pieces made from, reckon it would survive being dropped much better (which I'm bound to do at some point)

I tried out that Ponoko site but it keeps finding problems with the models. I thought it might be that I'd screwed something up but checked using a badge model which I successfully ordered prints of through sw and it rejected that one too. Could it be some compatibility issue with models made in google sketchup?

Last edited:

Ponoko has less forgiving software than Sh*peways, unfortunately. Where SW will accept models that have intersecting meshes (great for modeling detail parts separately) Ponoko will cry foul, even though they will print just fine. (It may be their way of weeding out bad models but it's a little too strict imo.) They also have a variety of other issues with some of my models as well. Models can export perfectly and show "no errors" but still gets rejected. I usually double-check models in Netfabb basic (free) but even so... a model can be given the all-clear there and still show an error.

I myself don't use Sketchup because it is notorious (at least in pro graphics circles) for turning out "bad" geometry. I also want total control and need to do a lot of advanced stuff sometimes, so I use Modo. (That's not me knocking Sketchup really- you can still do some pretty great stuff with it. I'm just used to other programs from working in games.)

Ah I thought that might be the problem. Sketchup is good enough for free software but it is pretty basic.

I dream of the day I can afford some real 3d modelling program's to teach myself properly. Thanks again for the info.

Looks like I'll need to take my chances with sw for now and keep my fingers crossed :)

Last edited:

Update time. Had loads of time to kill yesterday so been playing with the models again. I've ditched the above models having realised I started with the wrong pieces and instead will start by modelling the support frame and shrouds which I'm planning on having fabricated from aluminium sheet. This way I can properly design the printed parts to be pinned/glued/screwed into place. Here's where it's at so far...

LGSHROUDS1_zps460318aa.png

LGSHROUDS2_zps764a74b1.png

LGSIGHTS_zpseda3b34d.png

The upper shroud will be two aluminium pieces with the sights being 3d printed. Everything on the shrouds pre drilled with corresponding pins/screw holes on the sight parts.

LGSHROUDS_zps59105e21.png

Flattened the shrouds to use for the template to cut the aluminium.

lgclip_zpsac1f677d.png

The front ammo clip is ready to print, designed to clip into place and be removable to allow somewhere to put the battery for any electronics. The support frame is still a work in progress but should have that finished tonight so I can redo the other models for the printed parts.

More to follow :)

Ta muchly :)

More pics, the support frame is done and everything is lining up nicely...

That's pretty cool ! I'd love to make the shrouds like that myself.

Tiny update, serial plate side greebly is done, LCD side greebly half done, really getting into it this time. This may actually work ;)

Great work!!!

Any change of converting them into printable A4 format (even on PDF) in a flat sheet position so everyone can print and assemble with a Glock GBB pistol?

Would very much appreciate it!!!!

:)

Cheers striker :) Once I finish the models I'll be happy to share the shroud templates for anyone who wants them. I'm still tweaking the details at the moment as I model the other sections there are certain parts that needed fixing along the way. When that's all done I'll make a proper template and upload a pdf for anyone who wants to use it.

Just finished the front lower housing sections. There's gonna be a LOT of parts to this kit when it's done...

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back