ManCave prop room Themed POTC / Haunted Mansion UPDATE 2016

howlingwind13

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been working like crazy on my basement for like 10 months.
Doing all the work myself.
The wife and I decided to take our unfinished basement and make it useable space. We had a baby 5 months ago. My wife lost her office to the baby and now we share an office...but with too many props and things in my office we decided to display them in the basement.
Started with an unfinished basement, open space, concrete poured walls.
Since the only thing that was down there was a 10 ft bar...we talked about it for awhile and came up with a concept...half home theater...half bar. Since we love Disney world and themed attractions we decided to do a Pirates of the Caribbean bar and a Haunted Mansion theater.

It is still under construction. No props or decor will be added until the flooring is done. I will spare you the construction photos and bring you up to speed as to where we are now.

We will be heavily detailing with skeletons pirates, treasure, candles ect.

Also Mansion props will be added possible suit of armor ect. For now I'm finishing up the waiscotting I made (still need to put the uprights on.) Mansion wallpaper to come later:love
Some furniture in the way...we had family over on sunday.
But I built everything but the bar. I stripped and redid the wood colored corner booth, and built the t.v theater area...housing a 70" flat screen.

Mike

Last edited:
Re: ManCave prop room Themed POTC / Haunted Mansion

Nice job man. I'm pretty handy and would be hard pressed to pull anything even close to this. Question, is the metal strap and nail accents really made of metal? Looks awesome. Could stand a wee bit of distressing but everything looks awesome as is. Millwork for the tv looks top notch. Very jealous.

Great job!

Yes it's real metal. I cut grooves in the table so the band sits flush with the table top. The one close up pic of the table is when I finished cutting in the metal...the pic of the table and the booth is that same table but distressed, along with the booth.

The table was just a flat top. I cut grooves all the way down it to give the look of seperate boards, then cut in the straps.

Probably very difficult to achieve but it would be great to get those mirrors with the ghosts that bum a ride at the end.I think they were achieved by having a lit maquette of the ghost behind semi-transparent glass.

Or even better, do the same thing but with a Captain Jack model.

Alternatively, have the extending paintings but with POTC characters facing their deaths.

Fantastic build. These are my favorite projects, prop building meets set design! Looks great so far. Is the revealed brick painted or wall covering?

Can't wait to see more, will be watching!

Fantastic build. These are my favorite projects, prop building meets set design! Looks great so far. Is the revealed brick painted or wall covering?

Can't wait to see more, will be watching!

It is brick paneling. Glued and nailed to the wall, then drywall mud around it. Textured paint, followed by 2 layers of paint.

What The Fuzz said - I love to see prop room builds!

Excellent job on capturing the atmosphere.

Looking great, Mike!

Very cool idea!

Tom

I think the two concepts blend together really well. It would be great to have some crossover items around the area the two themes meet. There are so many things you could do.

One other thing i'd love to see is a headstone dedicated to Captain Jack.

"Here once lay Captain Jack.
We thought he was dead,
but he came right back"

This project really interests me.

Last edited:

Thanks for the replies guys...here's an update.
I saw a pic on the net of a skull chair a person carved. I loved the design, so I decided to cut it into the cabinets behind my bar.
Added wire mesh, and will be adding lighting in them, also a butcher block type counter top, and possibly a wine rack in between ( the mini fridge is too deep).
Also added a top and "wagon wheels" on the railing.
Mike

Last edited:
Re: ManCave prop room Themed POTC / Haunted Mansion UPDATE 9/30

Very cool. I really like the skull cabinets. I look forward to seeing this completed.

Very nice, and quite funny that we seem to have had the exact same idea at the exact same time. My wife and I are about half-way through converting our full basement into a Haunted Mansion themed theatre and Pirates themed bar...the only difference is our bar is actually themed to be a variation of Trader Sam's at Disneyland, but with pirate accents added along with the Tiki themed stuff. Our theatre section is almost done, just a few items to finish and add, the bar is bare walls right now waiting to do the floor treatments. I'll try and post some pics in my own thread soon...

Yours is looking great!

Thanks for compliments. Finishing the wainscotting in the theater tonight (fingers crossed)

Here's a bad panorama of what we did with our HM themed theatre...

Mansion_Theatre_Front.jpg

Mansion_Theatre_Back_Wall.jpg

where did you get that bat stanchion tk5378?

mancave prop room looks great...cant wait to see it finish.....a lot of great ideas

we been considering making a 1:1 disneyland resort haunted mansion house or at least a 1:1 of the grand ball room for the house...havent decided yet....it depends on a lot of things

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back