Ralph Mcquarrie inspired C-3PO concept model

DeanPJedi

Anyone ever produce a decent statue model of his original paintings and sketches?

As a way to honor his work in my own way, I am sculpting a 12 inch kit with base. Honestly, with a year and half old son and another due in 8 weeks, I have a very small collection budget but do well with it. So its mostly for my personal collection, for fun, and a nice way to trade or add to budget when I can. I am a trained sculptor and self taught fx artist and sabersmith...so the sculpture will certainly be nice.

I gathered all reference I could find. My plan is to cast in resin and paint like painting colors show..but maybe cold cast in a brass or gold color of some sort for polished metal look and feel.

Anyway ill post photos once I'm past rough stages. The base will have short trail of footprints behind him.

Hope this is correct forum!
Thanks,
Dean

I think that's a tremendous idea. McQuarrie's concept work is amazing. One day you might decide to build up a McQ concept R2 to go with 3PO! Good luck..I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on this..

Quick update.....

Finished wire armature and started sculpture. I've decided to make this kit into a diorama scene with larger base and possible R2 concept as part of piece as well.

My big 30th bday is soon and my wife bought me the sideshow I am your father diorama and figure I might as well be more ambitious than simple statue. I'll update with pics as it develops.

This sounds really interesting, I love the work of RMcQ , I'm a bit of a Millennium Falcon nut & I would love to build the Concept Falcon

J

The concept falcon would be great! I'm working on a capt cardboard xwing right now that's almost ready for final assembly and paint...just basecoated black.

I'm also working on my first scratch built ship for a student film a friend in film school needs. Built out of balsa wood and plastic then it will get a fiberglass shell. Balsa wood is really neat for easy shapes and rounded edges and I can almost sculpt it with my blade. For first scratch built it was my best idea for a budget green screen model. Part of the deal is I get to keep ship.
Glad you guys like the idea. If people like the kit I would love produce a limited # and have some fun.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back