General Gundam/Mecha Cosplay Tutorial

Rsyjin7717: Yup... in this update I am announcing =)

J326: I do feel honored=)

Lesson 9, weapons of the tutorial has be uploaded to 1st post in this thread.

The model of this tutorial look like the one who is on Odaiba Island. It will be hard to make another gundam (Exia, or other who look differents). But it's a good tutorial :thumbup: I'm waiting to see more ;)

The model of this tutorial look like the one who is on Odaiba Island. It will be hard to make another gundam (Exia, or other who look differents). But it's a good tutorial :thumbup: I'm waiting to see more ;)

The model is a hybrid of a lot of Gundams with some original design.. It is a tutorial focusing on structure and not the external armour. Think of the armour as a shell that can take on different designs. Exia and most Gundams can be made using the tutorial...at least all my 13 mecha costumes is based on this structure including Exia =)

Lesson 10 - Backpack and wings have been updated in the first post =)

I have quite a number of people asking me for the pepakura files for the tutorial and I will like to clarify that I do not use pepakura and I do not have any pepakura files/design...e.t.c. This tutorial is a compilation of my mecha structure making method devised from my 12 years of experience making mecha costumes =)

I make the armour not from pepakura but by measuring a model kit/Gunpla and apply different scales to each individual part. I make paper pattern (tailoring term) for some parts which I need precision and modify the paper pattern until it suits my requirements.
The paper pattern may be like pepakura but it is not made from the pepakura software; it is made by hand.

For anyone who wishes to use pepakura, I do advise you to use it in-conjunction with this tutorial.=)

My tutorial(Structure) + Pepakura(Design) = costume

For anyone who wishes to use pepakura, I do advise you to use it in-conjunction with this tutorial.=)

My tutorial(Structure) + Pepakura(Design) = costume

Im actually doing it this way altho the more i work on it the more i have to discard actual templates and freehand with your methods wich are very handy so cheers for putting this up for us.

Working on wing zero (still my all time fav) inbetween my iron man :)

Lesson 11 wrap & paint has been uploaded to 1st post along with page 2 & 3 of the FAQ section. That marks the end of this tutorial =)

Just found this and its awesome just awesome thank you so much for sharing your knowledge regards these costumes ive always wanted to have a go and this has truly inspired me im blown away its like a Haynes manual of gundam building I salute you sir :D

just read through your whole tutorial great stuff but I see you say its not a good idea to make the whole suit using eva foam im just wondering through proper strengthening and support could it be done with eva foam ?

just read through your whole tutorial great stuff but I see you say its not a good idea to make the whole suit using eva foam im just wondering through proper strengthening and support could it be done with eva foam ?

Yes of course =) Alternatively you can use thicker EVA foam (maybe 1cm thick)..that will give u good support (not for the wings though). The downside is that your costume may turn out bulkier..

Thanks for the reply Clivelee I see plastic sheets are not to expensive so I might order some of those how much would you say on average would I need for a whole suit please?

Fantastic tutorial. Really and truly appreciated.
I think's it's election time here soon, so I should be able to stock up on free 4mm corrugated plastic signs when they're done :D

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back