Iron Man 3 "MARK 8 Armor" foam build

Amazing work. The forearm and upper arm pieces (under the detailing pieces) look like they are pretty thin. Maybe 3mm or 6mm. Is there any particular system you use that decides which parts get which thickness. I've been considering doing a free hand build.

Edit: Posted this before I saw your taking the day off post. Anytime you could answer tomorrow would be helpful. Thanks

For the suit i used 2mm to 10 mm the different thicknesses make for different levels of detail

Hey Mike... I was wondering how the flexibility of your armor is? Any cracks so far after painting?
Im still in the painting process..i havent suited up yet since i started...so far the paint is holding well . I already forsee that the arms by the shoulders and behind the legs will see some paint chipping....but im fine with that cause the movie iron man suits seem to need a fresh paint job after every use lol

Just got the abs painted...some minor touch ups with a brush....my silver base coat is drying on the legs...gotta another hour before i can do a round of tapeing before the gold...those abs were a pain in the ass tapeing off

great build. I would've liked to see it stay in the black/white/grey color scheme, but I can't wait to see it completed.

Yeah a few people liked the "color blind" version...no offence to those who are..but I like the new mostly gold suit...even though ive read from different sites not to many people like the new look...but as from a movie stand point they gotta change it up to keep audiance captivated...like the batman suits over the years...everything has to evolve one way or another...imagine the xmen movie if they stayed true to the comics look of the characters..dont really think that would have been as good as it was

here is my test fit picture from the other night....i think the camera adds 10 pounds cause this pic makes me look short and chunky and im 6ft tall 165ponds

This is an awesome build, and I have to say, I actually like the colour scheme of the mk42!

Hope you dont mind some constructive criticism, the mk42 armour in my eyes differs most from the previous armors, in that the chest plate has no 'step' to the abs. Its a smooth transition. I noticed in your suit up pic that you have built the abs to slide under the chest, giving it the classic overhang of the previous armors. Probably great for moving around, but there may be a way to articulate this section and still maintain that smooth look?

This is an awesome build, and I have to say, I actually like the colour scheme of the mk42!

Hope you dont mind some constructive criticism, the mk42 armour in my eyes differs most from the previous armors, in that the chest plate has no 'step' to the abs. Its a smooth transition. I noticed in your suit up pic that you have built the abs to slide under the chest, giving it the classic overhang of the previous armors. Probably great for moving around, but there may be a way to articulate this section and still maintain that smooth look?

Thank you for pointing that out but im aware...the cod piece tends to ride up when i walk around so i added Velcro on the inside of the hips attached to the under suit to prevent that...also my suit chest plates thickness prevents full replica look....lol one pf the minor detail im not worried about...but stay tuned i shoulf have the suit done painted by wednesday

just curious, are you having a really hard time with peeling the tape back off without it pulling up paint? Im worried about this with mine : /

Tony; you need to pull you masking off soon after you paint, while its still wet. If you wait for it to dry, that's how you get "tearing" on the paint edge.

all right i got the legs 99% painted still a little bit more to do

1...you will notice the the ab region is missing a little bit of detail...this was do to the minor scaleing error i made early on in the build which i mentioned in a previous post. im not worried about it...

2...i need to add some small detail circles to the sides of the ankles either on the boot or the leg piece

3... still yet to add red armor plateing on the sides of the knee joints....i waited till the end of the build incase i needed to take the to halves of the legs apart

4 i still got add some red to the knee caps...i ran out of my good half inch painters tape and i didnt wanna mess around with the 3 inch ****ty tape which has lower quaility adhesive properties

Just did the final coat of plastidip on the upper torso...let it dry over night...should have it finished and painted by 5pm tomorrow...the helmet is also nearing completion

OK.. I've been lurking.. I have to say your build is incredible! I am looking to get a suit like this.. because I actually have NO IDEA how to build one on my own.. lol. I'm not the most artistic.. I just think you should be so proud of what you have accomplished in a few weeks.. Sorry I am gushing.. but people like you guys here on these forums should really be applauded because of your creativity, resourcefulness, and tenacity in getting it right!

OK.. I've been lurking.. I have to say your build is incredible! I am looking to get a suit like this.. because I actually have NO IDEA how to build one on my own.. lol. I'm not the most artistic.. I just think you should be so proud of what you have accomplished in a few weeks.. Sorry I am gushing.. but people like you guys here on these forums should really be applauded because of your creativity, resourcefulness, and tenacity in getting it right!

Thank you very much....but anyone can build these...artistic abilities are a plus...but the key to success for one of these is patience and basic understanding...for example have you or anyone ever put together a desk or entertainment center from Walmart with out looking at the instructions and only using the picture on the front of the packaging it came in?. You just figure it out....pretty much the same thing just different set of tools and materials...or thats atleast my opinion

Phucking weather!!! minutes after i finish the helmets reconstruction it begins to rain outside... im seriously pissed off... i can have the whole suit finished and painted today as long as the rain stops

the rain let up for a little bit then started up again....i had just enough time to lay down some primer.....you will notice a few things i havent done yet or im leaving as is....the indents at the top of the face plate im gonna leave out...but the cheeks turned out great....now you will also notice some of the minor details from the mark3 version are still there...when the primer dries im gonna just take a little glue to fill them and make some new ones. then reprime and paint plus im gonna use 3 cans of clear coat on this thing lol and reimplant the lenses....all and all i gotta say im likeing how its turned out..and its good enough for me

Kudos to a great build and a testament to your skills. This thread alone is slowly changing my mind on how I feel about the Mark 8 or 42, however you see it.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back