F&M B-Wing, Orange conversion

Julien mate, thats just stunning, I've still not done mine yet but as you'll know now its a tricky bird to paint. The more ref we have the harder these things get. Its killer though and looks spot on. Roll on November so I can get cracking again. Its a never ending paint job the B-Wing and yours is nearly at a never end. Stunning

Your B-wing looks very nice! But you may need this. The old version F-14's decal.

DSC_0345.jpg

Thank you very much guys !
Yeah this model it's quite difficult to paint and Guy did a better job than me on this ! :D

Your B-wing looks very nice! But you may need this. The old version F-14's decal.

View attachment 230049

Thank you Kaoru, wow that's awesome ! Does this kit has other decals used on the B-Wing ? (I guess yes....) If so, would you mind send me a hi res pic of the decal sheet ? That would be cool ! Thank you. :)

Unfortunately, that's the only one I think. I will scan the decal sheet so that you will have the correct size. Also, I will send a pic of the old version's box if you want. By the way, I heard that the kit is the same, but they added a camera or something.

I'm sorry, but I don't think so.

F-18b.jpg

Maybe here's a clue. The decal comes from the 1/48 Hasegawa Phantom F-4E kit.
I think No.6 is similar to the decal on the neck.

f-4E.jpg

Last edited:
I've painted the guns and engines, will add the BT-46 rims soon as well as lights for the engines (haha Lee that's your fault) and I still have to add the small grain of wheat bulbs at the front.

I drew and printed another decal for the front, I think it's more accurate than the other one !

bwing80.jpg

Looking good Julien, hard to pick it apart from the prop, wow! Yeah, those rims add a bit of flavour, shim them out with a Leichter rim bud, works a treat, cant wait to paint mine, lots of scratchbuilding to do yet though, but you and Guy keep me focused on the end result!

lee

Looking great julien? And far as those bt-46 rims makes the light pop!! Great idea lee!! If I could get a hold of one of these kits!!!

Thanks guys, it need some touch-ups, Im not sure if Im going to mist with some light gray the engines... The engine of the B-Wing I saw really looked to be solid dark gray, without any mist, but it was not the Orange...

Looking good Julien, hard to pick it apart from the prop, wow! Yeah, those rims add a bit of flavour, shim them out with a Leichter rim bud, works a treat, cant wait to paint mine, lots of scratchbuilding to do yet though, but you and Guy keep me focused on the end result!

lee

Thanks Lee ! Going to try that, and buy another BT-46 kit ! Thanks for the tip and ideas ! :)

Nice pic! That really looks like the exhibit model missing a pilot!! :thumbsup

Haha yeah Scott, the pilot have been primered today and it's waiting to be painted. However I dont have enamels (I prefer them to paint figures), only acrylics and oils, going to try with what I have but not sure I cant achieve the look of the original !

I painted the pilot. Need to do some work on the cockpit (some more paint, applying decals etc).
The flightsuit looks a bit too red in the pic, while it's more orange in the flesh, I'm not sure what to do, tone it down with a gray mist to remove some vibrance, or let it like that !

I'm also looking to buy 2 Ark Royal turrets (or borrow one so I can cast it) :

Thank you in advance !

Looks very good, Julien! As far as the pilot, the filming model's pilot probably looked "fresh" during filming. The ref pics show a model that is somewhat neglected and dusty...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back