1:1 Stargate Life Size Replica! - "Too big?" Throwback to July 2022

Re: 1:1 Stargate Project

1399726_10202176416311236_1341739240_o.jpg

I'm now beginning with the "Collar" part. I think Andy will recognise this one. ;)

Capture d’écran 2014-02-28 à 15.34.00.pngCapture d’écran 2014-02-28 à 15.34.11.png

Btw is anyone knowing what is this made of ?

Capture d’écran 2014-02-28 à 15.40.56.png

It makes me think of the kind of plastic sheets that was used on the iris, but its not the same, it's not enough textured :

Capture%u00252520d%u002525E2%u00252580%u00252599%u002525C3%u002525A9cran%u002525202012-11-13%u00.jpg

Could it be made of ABS platic sheets ? Like that : ABS Plastic Sheet

10006596_427304914082695_1860862907_n.jpg

Our own version of the chevron finished this week-end.

We need other gray shades but I'm happy with the shapes made with the light gray.

Looks great :thumbsup
Would be nice if this would let the producers know that we, the fans still want more from this spectacular franchise :)

I know I'm arriving late to the party, but I hope you found The Book of the Stargate Auction at http://www.propworx.com/stargate-auction-catalog/. It has pictures of props, costumes, stargate sections, etc. etc. etc. There's a downloadable PDF of the catalog. There used to be a print catalog as well, but I clicked on the link and it appears its no longer available.
--Paul E Musselman

Thanks Paul, but he already have taken those information from the begining, & we bought too an original packpanel.
The problem is that NO buyer of a section & has shown to share his collection with other fans & help us by giving dimensions and photos of original piece!
I find it unfortunate that people can be so selfish. Fortunately, people like Andy helped greatly!

Does someone have (or knows someone that have) a CNC machine or a Laser Cutter that we could use ?

It's for the different Glyphs that will be made with ABS plastic sheets of 6mm.

We would make ourselves the necessary files and we would buy the ABS with your adress directly so you can make that for us and then ship us the glyphs (of cours with our money).

Does someone have (or knows someone that have) a CNC machine or a Laser Cutter that we could use ?

It's for the different Glyphs that will be made with ABS plastic sheets of 6mm.

We would make ourselves the necessary files and we would buy the ABS with your adress directly so you can make that for us and then ship us the glyphs (of cours with our money).
Contact philly from here he has a lasercutter firm

i know a cheap one but unfortunatly they don't cut Abs only plexi , mdf, leather , paper check for a fablab in your local University they usually have a lasercutting or cnc machine you can use for free only material cost and sharing the pieces you've made if you don't share its bit more money

I was hoping to finish my bumpy ring this weekend but my resin hasn't arrived yet :( I have been working on the small section that I will be selling in the junkyard in a few weeks :D

Wow Andy you know you are hurting my Wallet with that ( are you comming to lfcc) ill take one off tour hands when i'm there

Thank you. ^^

I finally updated the first post of this topic with the work of the past 2 years ! Enjoy. ;)

We're still working on the mechanical parts and we need help for the structure, for the main chevron, to make the Glyphtrack spin and for the Event Horizon so feel free to share your thoughts even about what we already made. :D

There will be more updates soon I think as I'm working every day on the last parts.

Here is another subject :

We didn't speak about it, but it seems that the following Stargate is being made based on the blueprints made by Tee years ago on the RPF.

10985080_10153131347052389_7315980700722094251_n.jpg

They're also using pictures of the gate made by Andy and on ours.

10931180_10153130207622389_5345209091822240967_n.jpg

I contacted the company who engaged and gave the sources to the workshop who's working on it and they just said : "Yeah, we searched for all the picture we could on Google Image so we didn't see who did what and we didn't know you were also building something like that. But we'll thank everyone as soon as our gate will be made."

What's bothering me :

-This company (it's a little company) is making an event each year around Manga and Sci-Fi with a lot of visitors. They took the work of the community to achieve a set for their professional event and maybe other events in the area, but they don't want to follow the rules of this same community.

-They never asked anything to anyone when they took their sources as they never said thank you for these.

-When I contacted them, they still said "We'll thank everyone and reveal our sources at the end of our project".

I tried to explain them that even if it's written "These blueprints are made to help people to make a beautiful replica" it's still important to say thank you and inform the people who made the sources that you're beginning a project based on it BEFORE you post your WIP on Facebook with a gate already 70% made...

What's important to know :

-The workshop is a good workshop and is not involved, they're just doing their work and weren't told about where was the sources from. They're using those pictures (on the second picture above) to illustrate what will be achieved but not as sources (I think they used a lot of pictures from Propworx as we did and it's totally public.

-This workshop modified the basic blueprints of Tee to be more accurate, they did their own for the glyphs and the other parts even if we can still easily recognise the work of Tee under the chevron, it's the same pattern.

-Their gate is not really full scale, it'll be more something like 5.4m in diameter.

-The company told us that they were going to give us the full folder they used for the gate so we can verify what they took from us and everyone else but they said "We'll wait the end of the building to be sure to forget nothing in it".

As the people who were supporting this event-company was beginning to be a bit against us as we were saying that this company took us parts of our work we had to say publicly that everything was now ok for everyone... They also said publicly that they were using sources from everyone but didn't say they were thankful and still kept to say that their sources would become public at the end of the project.

I think it's different if you are a workshop and you are asked for a job on a replica so you're searching for your own sources paying attention of who did what OR being asked by a company to make a replica based on the sources they give you. For me, it's still more the company who is making a mistake regarding the rules of the community.

I don't want a witch hunt here so I'll not say who is who and if you're worried about your own work (Andy and Tee for example) please contact me by PM as this post is also made for that. I'm mainly searching for answers to the following questions :

-Do you think that it's totally normal to take the theoretical content of people who searched for it and worked on it for hours and for years ?

-Is this project different enough to be cool with it and not being angry as if they were copying the content of other people ?

-What do you think about professional companies doing the same things as the community ?

I don't want to be misunderstood about what I'm saying here. Of course I like the fact that there is more than one SG replica in the world and it's nice to see they are all different. :)

But to say "May I ?" and "Thank you." seems to be something important on this scale...

Hi everyone !

We’re back here on the RPF to talk about this life-size Stargate replica and show you our progress !!!! I’m really excited about this.

captur10.png

The project ? Build the Stargate => Add lights => Make it spin ! (See page 1).

We actually NEVER stopped working on this, but we’ve had less time to write anything about it because we focused more on finishing the build. Ultimately we posted our progress only on Facebook.

It’s not finished yet. I will not tell you where we’re at because SPOILERS, so for those who want to discover it bit by bit you can wait the updates here. For the others, if you’re eager to know more you can always take a look at our Facebook page. ;)

So here we are. I’ll try to keep you updated of everything. First I’ll try to show you all the work we did until now, so this thread should include the whole process of the making of this Gate.

*Goes back to the old thread to see where he stopped*

WOW ! Ok, there has been a huge reboot of the project, like years ago, and it’s not even there… There is a lot I’ve got to tell you guys.

I’ll obviously not be able to write all the process and show all pictures in one post, so I’ll split it and there will be one update at least each week (or I hope so).

BUT ! If you want to know anything in particular about the process, the materials, the ideas, anything at all, you can ask and I’ll put it in the related posts. Of course I’ll answer any question you have.

Alright, here we go, I hope it will be useful, interesting and fun !

Sendel

Update 1

Last time we posted about our WIP was in May 2015… Yep. So what happened ? Here is a quick timeline so we’re all on the same page about what came BEFORE that :

Since early 2010 / The beginning : I was the only one involved in this project. I thought most of my friends would be interested but finally they weren’t…
So it was a long beginning. I took the time to understand what it meant to build a Stargate, I searched for all sources that existed (at that time it was the series, the making of and a few promo shots…). I learned what materials were used and how. I learned what was a mold and how to make one (I actually contacted professional prop makers for that).
At that time I was 17, I didn’t know anything about props or building sets. I didn’t know that there were giant groups of people who were actually passionated by this and I didn’t know I’d become a Stage Technician.

captur11.png

20 of March 2011 / Propworx Auction : The Propworx auction sold EVERYTHING about Stargate from props to scripts and crew caps. At that time I didn’t know how much I would be involved in this project and I decided not to buy a full original segment (around 4’000$) but just an original Backpanel of the Gate (more like 1’400$ which definitely sounded more reasonable for my wallet).
This auction also provided incredible sources about a lot of Stargate props, wardrobe, etc.

captur12.jpg

August 2012 / 1st try : I finally received the Backpanel (from USA to Switzerland) and began the work on the first and biggest mold of this project. This time a lof of friends came to help me, I had the time to explain my project and why it wasn’t that impossible ! Of course I failed in the making of the mold and lost a lot of money. The mold was nice but too fragile, also the resin I was told that would work (a polyester resin) just destroyed the surface of the mold.

Then I tried to find the other buyers of Stargate parts to get more sources. It wasn’t that easy and we did our best with what we had. For example we had the chance to exchange replicas of original Stargate parts (a backpanel for the upper part of a front panel and a few other pieces) which was awesome !

Thanks again to Andy who was really really patient with me, a young and not that good amateur in resin and fiberglass. ;)

The team grew, the EMG (Children of Mac Gyver) were born with 5 members really involved. This was nice but hard to work together as we were splitted between France and Switzerland.

At that time the house was a real mess, every room was looking like a workshop, especially my bedroom.

We continued building parts for the SG it took a lot of time because we were learning and building at the same time, constantly discovering new details about the gate, so we build and re-build and re-rebuild again. We all had only a few moments free of our real work so it was really bit by bit.

captur14.jpg

May 2015 / Last time we heard from the EMG here : We were so happy because we worked for weeks on the outer ring of the Gate. We drew its highly detailed pattern using the best pictures we had (which were of course low-res, so a hard time for us…). Then we cleaned everything using different softwares and laser-cutted every little geometrical shape. We then glued everything in place. I actually glued a side 3cm wrong, so I had to unglue everything and start again.
We also had all the glyphs ready.

We continued to work on the pieces until we had all the masters ready to make the molds and finish the gate !!!!

captur13.jpg

But then…

Late November 2015 / Boomerang : After more than 4 years searching for other buyers of the Stargate segments with no news, suddenly 3 segments were available approximately at the same time !!! What are the odds ? Seriously ?

But meh. as we worked that hard on our masters which were pretty nice, as we had already spent too much money and because we’re crazy, we obviously… abandoned everything to start again using a full original segment !!!! Yaaaayy.

It was a hard decision of course, I could have bought this segment years ago during the Propworx auction…

Funny thing, the owner of the segment never bothered to unpack his Stargate segment. o_O

Thanks to Jarrod for finding the segment. ;)

captur10.jpg

January 2016 (and before) / The big reboot : We started again, we bought Smooth-On products to be sure of the quality of the silicon and resin (which definitely was the best idea we've had so far). We asked a lot of questions to the Smooth-On team and to other props / sets makers. As we now knew what we were doing it was easier and safer to make the molds.

captur11.jpg

Come on, my house was looking like a Smooth-on showcase ! How cool is that ? I hope you’re all jealous because it wasn’t cheap at all… I’m still crying about that, maybe one day I’ll get my kidney back, hopefully.
Still, I know it’s like a normal amount of materials for a real workshop, but that’s the thing… we never had a workshop.
Oh, and we bought more after that of course. This one was just for the silicon.

captur15.jpg

So we waited for the segment and as we already had a backpanel, this was the first mold we made again, but that's already another story.

See you in the next posts which will involve more picture, more technical stuff and less story telling. Oh and more supports form actors of the franchise of course.

And if you were wondering, my house is clean since 2012. I put everything back in place… like 2 month ago, literally

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back