1:1 Stargate Life Size Replica! - "Too big?" Throwback to July 2022

Re: 1:1 Stargate Project

Yup, that's it. The entire SG will cost something like 20'000 $. So if there is a DHD it'll be later because we don't have the money. Same thing for a pegasus replica. ;) We will probably start a KickStarter soon. Do you think it could be a good idea ?

I think it would be a good idea. There are all kinds of people helping out with stuff and I have a feeling that this project would do pretty well. It would be something to take to conventions eventualy.

Agreed, definitely a good idea.

I think it would be a good idea. There are all kinds of people helping out with stuff and I have a feeling that this project would do pretty well. It would be something to take to conventions eventualy.

Hehe, last week we were at ComicCon Paris for that. It's the 4th convention were we're presenting the project. There were a lot of people, we gave something like 500 cards with our website written on it. We also made the acquaintance with some journalists and model-makers.

A member of my team was also at ComicCon London. Both Jason Momoa and Amanda Tapping were impressed by this project.

1044688_292582200888301_222896862_n.jpg

Dedicated to andy19422 and cheech9898 (the blueprints were low-res so it wouldn't be copied). ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

This is really cool guys good luck on this I hope it becomes a full realisation for ya. I look forward to your progress keep up th' good work. :popcorn

Those casts are awesome! Owning a 1:1 Stargate is a childhood dream of mine. It'll never happen if I want to keep my girlfriend...but I can dream...

Actually I'll not own it. We created an association around this project so the ones that will own it will be the members and all the people that worked on it and spend a little time/money to get it ended. ;) I'm doing it (for the fans and) first because it's really interesting. Let's see if I can rebuild it completely ! After it'll be finished we'll travel with it so you'll not own it but maybe you'll see it. ;)

For the girlfriend, I had one once. :lol I don't think making such a big project is a problem for a couple as long as you're not forgetting the existence of your partner. If you can explain what you're doing and why it is important for you then it should be understandable.

/social

Now technically :

I had some trouble with my casts, it takes bad shapes (not easy to see, but it's there) because the silicon mold doesn't fit exactly in his resin shell. I'll try to add weight on the entire surface after my two first layers of gel coat will be no more sticky and let it cure for a week. After that I'll do the last two layers to finish the cast. It sould be fine.
For the parts I already done, I can reshape it heating them. So I have one question for you all. I'm working with polyester, but the Gate will stay under the sun for a long time in many occasions. Is there any paint that can prevent it to be too much heated so it wouldn't take bad shapes ? Maybe I should use polyurethan instead of polyester.

Actually I'll not own it. We created an association around this project so the ones that will own it will be the members and all the people that worked on it and spend a little time/money to get it ended. ;) I'm doing it (for the fans and) first because it's really interesting. Let's see if I can rebuild it completely ! After it'll be finished we'll travel with it so you'll not own it but maybe you'll see it. ;)

For the girlfriend, I had one once. :lol I don't think making such a big project is a problem for a couple as long as you're not forgetting the existence of your partner. If you can explain what you're doing and why it is important for you then it should be understandable.

/social

Now technically :

I had some trouble with my casts, it takes bad shapes (not easy to see, but it's there) because the silicon mold doesn't fit exactly in his resin shell. I'll try to add weight on the entire surface after my two first layers of gel coat will be no more sticky and let it cure for a week. After that I'll do the last two layers to finish the cast. It sould be fine.
For the parts I already done, I can reshape it heating them. So I have one question for you all. I'm working with polyester, but the Gate will stay under the sun for a long time in many occasions. Is there any paint that can prevent it to be too much heated so it wouldn't take bad shapes ? Maybe I should use polyurethan instead of polyester.

Haha, I just meant that if I was building one, my girlfriend would leave because it'd take over the entire house and she'd probably get fed up of tripping over it every 5 seconds! :p

I'd definitely come see it if you brought it to Comic Con London :thumbsup

For paint, maybe try one of the metalwork paints, like a home radiator paint or something similar?

Polyurathane seems to be more heat resistant according to the internet, but I don't have much experience with resin to make an informed comment...

Hehe, yep. We're working together (more helping each other), on the same project, but in different places. There will be two Stargates at the end. But only one travelling in the world. (Or maybe not.)

Andy has parts of the front of the gate and I have the back. Now, what we're searching for is the outer segment of the Stargate, the collar with all these little geometrical pieces : https://plus.google.com/photos/106154105695443794525/albums/5814842146244382945?banner=pwa I've nothing more than that until now.

I didn't tried to contact the team that worked on the creation of the original Stargate yet. I want to but I'm afraid they might take this project as an offence...

For the paint, I'm not searching a paint that is resistant to heat but that is preventing the covered part to be heated. Something like that : Insuladd - Insulating paint & paint additives.

Last edited:

I didn't tried to contact the team that worked on the creation of the original Stargate .

---- I know one of the guys who helped build the SGU gate --- I'll fire off to him, as at worst he'll know someone who helped build the SG1 gates
... sound a good idea or not ? :)

---- I know one of the guys who helped build the SGU gate --- I'll fire off to him, as at worst he'll know someone who helped build the SG1 gates
... sound a good idea or not ? :)

Sound fine for me. =) Maybe what he knows on the SGU gate could also help us.
At least maybe he has an idea of what the first builders might think about this project.

Might consider looking into an epoxy resin system for fiberglassing. I usually use West Systems epoxy resin whenever I've done fiberglassing gotten from my local aircraft/racing supplier. Epoxy tends to take the heat better, but it'll most likely be less forgiving if your mold is out of shape.

Also, not sure what your actual thickness is with 4 layers, as that will depend on the weight of the cloth mat your using, but on the pieces of the off-world gate I have from Legends they're nearly 1/4 inch thick.

Hello Boys ang Girls !

The EMG (Mac Gyver's Children) will be exhibitors at the "T'imagin" event in Toulon, France.
That event takes place from the 24th to 27th october, and we'll be present for the public part the 26 and 27 october.
This event is about new technologies and science fiction, in the same place they gater professionals, public, student, scientists, etc

T'Imagin - 1er Salon des nouvelles technologies et de la science-fiction

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back