FM 1/72 Millennium Falcon Mandible Surgery

This is trully amazing work! And I love the ides you had with the magnets and the keyboard hinges. Ive done a few Falcons in the past, but they were the old revel or monogram kits, and I'm sure your very aware of the "problems" with those kits... haha I found out reciently about the FM falcon and have been contemplating picking one up. I didnt know that one would still have to Modify a few things on it, especially with all the aftermarket "goodies" out there... but I guess I shouldnt be too surprised. I have done a lot of Star Trek, and Lost in Space models here reciently and even the 1/350 refit needs several modifications to be competely screen acruate. I need to pick one of these up and give it a try. Thank you so much for the detailed pictorials for how you modded the front end. I agree with you, the "stock kit" looks too big and bulky. Especially in the side by side pic. I hope the rest of your vuild goes well! I'm working on a NX-01 right now, but when I get done, I think I'll give Star Trek kits a rest and go back to some Star Wars! Again, amazing work! and hope you have a grat rest of the week!! Looking forward to seeing new updates. :D

Ok gonna bump this thread,....

Marko's thread 1:72 FM Falcon - modified to match the 32" studio model
72-falcon-36.jpg

& Maruska's Measurements: http://falcon.maruskadesign.com/2009/03/
BaseModelPlans-PDF-leveled.jpg

& Hunk a Junk's images:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'll post some measurements later today

J

.....I did a bit of quick measuring just to give an example on how much the hull is flattened in the centre of the FM

I downloaded the pdf from Maruska's blog: http://falcon.maruskadesign.com/2009/03/
link: 2D layout for the 32” Studio Scale model

Thanks again @maruska,......he does all this fantastic work & shares

.....& printed it out making sure I printed it out to be the same scale as the 1/72

This allows me to get measurements of the hull thickness, cockpit length & Docking tube etc

IMG_2518.jpgIMG_2516.jpg

Rough measurement for demo purposes:

IMG_2522.jpgIMG_2521.jpgIMG_2519.jpg

....so roughly 8mm shy

Then the docking ring:

IMG_2524.jpgIMG_2523.jpg

...so about 2.5mm shy

The side wall gap:

IMG_2526.jpgIMG_2525.jpg

.....not much, but the FM is thicker 1.5mm??

I'll do a better examination in daylight

I redid my mandibles,.....after the inspiring job by Marko,.& decided to detach the mandibles (again) & reposition them further into the hull,....also trimming the length of them slightly

I made new supports for them to keep them square & at the moment they are removable,....slotting in to pegs,....this will allow me to pipe them up

IMG_2527.jpgIMG_2529.jpgIMG_2528.jpg

I really do like the results that Marko achieved in making the model just like the 32",.....but I prefer Hunk a Junk's leaning towards the 5 footer curves

I make no secret that I don't love the 32" filming model,....as much as the real Falcon,.....so I really don't know if I should take the plunge & do something like HaJ has done,.....maybe even take the ESB extra landing gear bays off,...like what HaJ as suggested,.....hmm

The FM plastic is scary,......very stiff......I could thin it down from the inside to make it more flexible,.....dunno

The Bandai kit announcement could be just around the corner....plus I've got the more accurately shaped Hasbro to finish

J

Last edited:
Hey,....time to bring this thing BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!!

Unknown-3.jpg

Well,...since I had the airbrush out,....& the paint mixed for the Bandai,.....I decided to give this bird a blast,....it's been built & stripped on and off for....well....I suppose over 10 years,.....never had anything other than primer,......the mandibles are modded,....the jawbox narrowed etc,...etc

IMG_3572.jpgIMG_3571.jpg

I really am Falcon crazy

J

Last edited:
Hey,....time to bring this thing BACK FROM THE DEAD

Well,...since I had the airbrush out,....& the paint mixed for the Bandai,.....I decided to give this bird a blast,....it's been built & stripped on and off for....well....I suppose over 10 years,.....never had anything other than primer,......the mandibles are modded,....the jawbox narrowed etc,...etc

I really am Falcon crazy

J
Great news , doing multiple paint makes sense , I'm right there with you ........too many Falcons not enough time
Does your base colour have tamiya or Vallejo deck tan ?

That really is beautiful Jaitea! Did you do something to mute the red and darker gray panels? They don't seem to "stand out" quite as much as they have on other build-ups I've seen, and I really prefer the look you've achieved.

Amazing rework! Paintjob's looking great, too! You make it look easy.

Thanks CJ,....I make no secret that I've messed up so many kits in the past when it came to painting,.....I really get nervous,....heart starts pounding,...I rush,...dont think things through etc......put since my RMQ & MPC Falcons,....I think I'm over all that,.....I take my time now & plan a bit more,......I try & build the paint up in layers & in the right order:D

Stunning- I want it!

Thanks mate,....<"She's up for sale if you want her" > ~ Jedi mind trick

You have a good eye for the corrections, looks great so far!

Thanks Constantine,....na,....just loads of reference pics

That really is beautiful Jaitea! Did you do something to mute the red and darker gray panels? They don't seem to "stand out" quite as much as they have on other build-ups I've seen, and I really prefer the look you've achieved.

Well yeah,...I painted her,.....thought she looked too garish,....like a pretty woman with too much make-up,....then gave her a dusting with the base-coat again......the red is Vallejo Calvary Brown,...just out of the bottle,...not bright red,....I just like that burnt red look

All chipping is done with latex

Thanks for looking,...more soon

John

Thanks CJ,....I make no secret that I've messed up so many kits in the past when it came to painting,.....I really get nervous,....heart starts pounding,...I rush,...dont think things through etc......put since my RMQ & MPC Falcons,....I think I'm over all that,.....I take my time now & plan a bit more,......I try & build the paint up in layers & in the right order:D

Thanks mate,....<"She's up for sale if you want her" > ~ Jedi mind trick

Thanks Constantine,....na,....just loads of reference pics

Well yeah,...I painted her,.....thought she looked too garish,....like a pretty woman with too much make-up,....then gave her a dusting with the base-coat again......the red is Vallejo Calvary Brown,...just out of the bottle,...not bright red,....I just like that burnt red look

All chipping is done with latex

Thanks for looking,...more soon

John
Good to know about the red. I always thought it was a bit more burgendy than red.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Well yeah,...I painted her,.....thought she looked too garish,....like a pretty woman with too much make-up,....then gave her a dusting with the base-coat again......the red is Vallejo Calvary Brown,...just out of the bottle,...not bright red,....I just like that burnt red look...
We have similar tastes in that regard then. I agree with your description, "too garish", because I can't recall those panels standing out as much in the Original Trilogy movies as they do on most of the builds I've seen. Your results make them less noticeable without it being obvious that you were trying to do that. Brilliant!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back