Donnie Darko Frank the Bunny - Original Mold

gothca . just know some stuff hardens more then others sort of what you are saying in terms of being harder or softer . My 3 -yr old son saw the picture he is huge into his monsters stage now and called it the Bad Wolf LOL .

Here is a comparison to one of the screen used masks (now owned by Kirk Hammett of Metallica). The angles aren't exactly the same, but they are close enough that you can clearly see what we have here.

This is a 2 part mold

I remember seeing that face-cast piece that is supposed to be inserted into the mask mold but i can't figure out how it is attached. Is it just inserted after you poured the material into the Mask mold or is there a tab or something that holds it in place so that the eyes line up on both mold parts.

I think I'm crazy but I figured I'd ask:

I'm not as used to comparing so odds are I'm wrong.

Think it's the angle, Ever been in a "What darth vader helmet is this" "Is this really a Original DV helmet" Threads?....Those threads are filled with battles about angles and "C scars" and "take a photo 3 feet away from object " comments . :lol

I think I'm crazy but I figured I'd ask:

I'm not as used to comparing so odds are I'm wrong.

What you are seeing there are the two masks not being at the exact same angle. The one on the left, the test pull is rotated much more to the left, while the one on the right, is rotated more to the right, exposing more of that temple area.

If you look at other areas, you will see the same thing. Take a look at the upper left edge of the jaw. On the test pull you can see it, again, because the test pull is rotated more to the left, exposing more of the left side and less of the right, whereas on the screen used piece you don't see that part of the jaw at all because the mask is rotated more to the right, hiding the left side of the jaw entirely.

Also keep in mind that these masks are made from a semi-flexible material (the originals have hardened over time) so that can play into minor distortions in shape, but I think the thing you are pointing out is almost entirely due to the differences in the angles of the masks.

What you are seeing there are the two masks not being at the exact same angle. The one on the left, the test pull is rotated much more to the left, while the one on the right, is rotated more to the right, exposing more of that temple area.

If you look at other areas, you will see the same thing. Take a look at the upper left edge of the jaw. On the test pull you can see it, again, because the test pull is rotated more to the left, exposing more of the left side and less of the right, whereas on the screen used piece you don't see that part of the jaw at all because the mask is rotated more to the right, hiding the left side of the jaw entirely.

Also keep in mind that these masks are made from a semi-flexible material (the originals have hardened over time) so that can play into minor distortions in shape, but I think the thing you are pointing out is almost entirely due to the differences in the angles of the masks.

Okay I saw the other part you are talking about and it had me thinking that the difference in lighting was the problem, I didn't even think about the fact that the odds of the rotation exact with the original were slim. I also didn't take into account the flexibility of the mask. :D

Did you ever hear back on if this is the original or a direct cast off it? I went back to check and make sure I didn't miss the announcement and it doesnt look like I did.

Did you ever hear back on if this is the original or a direct cast off it? I went back to check and make sure I didn't miss the announcement and it doesnt look like I did.

The guy who made the original mold claims that he provided 6 nickel plated masks for the production, a number of which ended up being crew gifts. He believes those are the only masks used in the film. We clearly know they are not as the only time you see one of those is at the very end of the film. While he claims not to have provided any other masks, we know at some point others had to be made as none of the 3 screen used masks that we know about are nickel plated, but instead have the silver aluminum powder look. While I am yet to get absolute confirmation on it, a number of people who are very familiar both with industry production and the mask itself have looked at my mold and feel that it is indeed a studio mold and not simply a fan copy. I am supposed to be getting a COA and letter to this effect from the seller, but you know what those can be worth...

For me, the proof is in the mold itself. There are simply too many very minute marks that would be unlikely to transfer from copy to copy that line up exactly to each of the screen used masks.

Can I say definitively this is the original mold? I can't. Do I think the likelihood is extremely high? Yes. Do I think I will ever be able to get a closer match to the screen used masks without buying of the originals? I don't.

Once I get some more time... I actually want to try to lay out everything I have been able to learn about the masks and their lineage. The problem is, like everything else in this hobby, there are no definitive answers...

Art, I'm so glad you ended up with this thing.

Thanks! I am beyond thrilled myself. I have wanted a really good Frank mask for a long long time now and this is one of those things that is so organic and so asymmetrical that it would be almost impossible to replicate, so to get this mold is more than I could ever hope for!

Now, I just need to find those vintage sneakers!!!

And just to show you how far we have come, here is my costume from back in 2003-2004 with the mask being made by our own Ronculus and the costume being made by our own Maulwalker! Reference was so sparse at the time that I am still pretty proud of how this costume turned out, but I am DYING to recreate it now!

Thanks! I am beyond thrilled myself. I have wanted a really good Frank mask for a long long time now and this is one of those things that is so organic and so asymmetrical that it would be almost impossible to replicate, so to get this mold is more than I could ever hope for!! >>>clip<<<

Mind you he woke up the next morning and told me he saw it on ebay the night before and was worried it wouldn't still be there. I'm like, go buy it...NOW! >>>clip<<<e!

^^This boggles my mind!!!! AND scares me a litttle.........:)

• Something you've always wanted
  • You see it on eBay
  • It has a BIN
AND YOU GO TO BED!?!?!?:eek:facepalm :confused

You need a beatin', a severe beatin' :behave

Glad you were able to nab such a treasure! :thumbsup

Shylaah

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back