Donnie Darko Frank the Bunny - Original Mold

sort of related, but I thought I'd share these with my fellow donnie darko fans...

1st is an 18x24" canvas painted by F Taz (I think it what it says... I bought this nearly 10 years ago for a couple hundred on eBay).

photo-9.jpg

2nd up, me in my not so Frank costume... I bought this the year they came out with these and it was a beeyotch trying to get ahold of one. I preordered in August of 09?

_JZK2033z.jpg

_JZK2037z.jpg

Lastly, in Theater... this was one botched screening. They got the reels all mixed up so the movie was completely out of order. Still "interesting."

jacob65.jpg

Thanks, everyone! Hoping to have a fresh pull to show off by the end of next week! I am really excited to see how it turns out!

What has been the most fun for me so far is sitting with Kristen, holding the mold in my lap and comparing it to the photos we have of the screen used mask that was at Comic Con a few years ago. There are so many uniquely identifying marks on it, mostly in the way of small airbubbles and "pimples." It is like a "Where's Waldo" game. When we first got the mold, we matched one or two main places and that satisfied us that this was "the" mold, but as we have had more time to inspect it, we are stunned by how every single mark, dent, bubble and ding line up!

I have also been talking with two original mask owners as well as the original mold creator and the sculptor. There is definitely some confusing information going on and I don't have all the answers, but it has been very interesting to talk to them!

This is just amazing, I really hope that you've got the original Art, you totally deserve it. :thumbsup

I can't wait to see you cast your own and paint it up I know it'll look amazing.

This is just amazing, I really hope that you've got the original Art, you totally deserve it. :thumbsup

Thanks! It is either a direct casting of an original or IS the original. There are marks in it that line up to one of the three screen used pieces we know about that would indicate either that was the last mask to come from the mold or that it is a casting of that mask. The nice thing is, it lines up mark for mark with a second of the screen used castings which makes me feel very confident that all three came from this mold!

I am so excited to see the first pull!

What has been the most fun for me so far is sitting with Kristen, holding the mold in my lap and comparing it to the photos we have of the screen used mask that was at Comic Con a few years ago. There are so many uniquely identifying marks on it, mostly in the way of small airbubbles and "pimples." It is like a "Where's Waldo" game. When we first got the mold, we matched one or two main places and that satisfied us that this was "the" mold, but as we have had more time to inspect it, we are stunned by how every single mark, dent, bubble and ding line up!

Would love to see more side by side photos highlighting the findings like in your post #19 if you get a chance ! :cool (I just love those kinds of photos :))

Thanks! It is either a direct casting of an original or IS the original. There are marks in it that line up to one of the three screen used pieces we know about that would indicate either that was the last mask to come from the mold or that it is a casting of that mask. The nice thing is, it lines up mark for mark with a second of the screen used castings which makes me feel very confident that all three came from this mold!

I am so excited to see the first pull!

That's great to hear! I can only imagine the anticipation/joy you must feel right now, and I'm glued to my screen. :facepalm :lol

Would love to see more side by side photos highlighting the findings like in your post #19 if you get a chance ! :cool (I just love those kinds of photos :))

Agreed :) They make me smile all goofy like. :behave

Trying to get shots to compare out of the mold are really hard. Once we have a pull, I will do more comparisons with that because it will be MUCH easier to get similar angles and lighting. Trying to photograph inside that mold is not very fun!

According to Fed Ex, Frank will be arriving at the caster's doorstep on Monday... and I am leaving town Monday night to go have some fun with EFX Collectibles... ACK!!!

Hi Art,

Nice purchase.

I wouldn't say I loved the film but I did enjoy it. That aside the Frank mask is IMHO one of only a few of instantly recognisable modern day genuinely Iconic cinema props.

I am looking forward to more updates.

I know I should be waiting to get this in hand and take studio shots, but since you guys are asking for updates, here are the first photos of our first test pull! Definitely need to make a couple of minor corrections in terms of the colors but in regard to the mask/mold itself... perfection! It does help that I am using a guy (from here on the RPF) who is an absolute perfectionist when it comes to molding and casting. We are hoping to do a second pull later this week using slightly different materials and colors and then both pulls are being shipped to me for final approval and photographing before we do anything else.

View attachment 113806

View attachment 113807

View attachment 113808

HOLY SH** THATS SHARP!! Dude you have to offer us up pulls man .
It don't get any better then that . You using a thicker and thinner material for the pulls ?
Think if you still had any questions if it was the real deal the pulls answered that for sure!

Last edited:
You using a thicker and thinner material for the pulls ?

This is a 2 part mold, so we have no control over the thickness of the parts. Whatever it is in the mold, that is how it comes out. I know the caster called me after making the pull with "concerns" about the eyes and mouth area because they are relatively thin. My answer? That is how it is on the originals... that is how mine will be. I don't want to alter anything or take away from what the original material was in any way.

We are trying to use a similar method and material for the castings, but also trying to make sure it will be much longer lasting and durable than the originals. We are using a semi-flexible self-skinning urethane foam. This first pull is a bit rigid, but we are trying a different foam for a slightly more flexible mask (like the originals), which gives us a lot of advantages; light, durable, not easily broken and wearable. I am now thinking I might have to put a Frank suit together for Comic Con next year!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back