Replicating Seinfeld's Intercom

lint

One of the more key pieces used on the show was Jerry's intercom. Does anyone have any better shots of this piece? Size reference? Seems like the farnsworth guys could give some good pointers in replicating this.

Bumping an old thread because I'm tackling this myself. And now that the episodes are available in HD on Hulu, reference shots are easy to take. I also have the perfect place in my prop room for this, right above a double light switch.

I actually ordered a piece of brass already, but clearly I mis-measured because it arrived smaller than I expected. My light switch is 4.5" squared, so looking at the screen grabs, I kinda questimated how many times the light switch in the photo would fit inside the intercom. I came up with 5.125" x 6.75" (which was way too small).

So my question is: how do you guys measure objects based on screen grabs?
@Roland - how do you count pixels and convert them into measurements?

I remeasured and eyeballed new dimensions. Based on some math that made sense in my head, I'm thinking the intercom might be 6.5" x 7.875"

And I taped off the dimensions:
FullSizeRender.jpg

And here are screen grabs of the intercom (looks like the TALK button went missing for an episode):
Intercom 1.pngIntercom 2.pngIntercom 3.pngIntercom 4.pngIntercom 5.pngIntercom 6.pngIntercom 7.pngIntercom 8.pngIntercom 9.png

Last edited:
Bumping an old thread because I'm tackling this myself. And now that the episodes are available in HD on Hulu, reference shots are easy to take. I also have the perfect place in my prop room for this, right above a double light switch.

I actually ordered a piece of brass already, but clearly I mis-measured because it arrived smaller than I expected. My light switch is 4.5" squared, so looking at the screen grabs, I kinda questimated how many times the light switch in the photo would fit inside the intercom. I came up with 5.125" x 6.75" (which was way too small).

So my question is: how do you guys measure objects based on screen grabs?
@Roland - how do you count pixels and convert them into measurements?

I remeasured and eyeballed new dimensions. Based on some math that made sense in my head, I'm thinking the intercom might be 6.5" x 7.875"

And I taped off the dimensions:
View attachment 709099

And here are screen grabs of the intercom (looks like the TALK button want missing for an episode):
View attachment 709108View attachment 709107View attachment 709106View attachment 709105View attachment 709104View attachment 709103View attachment 709102View attachment 709101View attachment 709100

Take your screen shot and enlarge it on a printer. Enlarge to get the light switch plate in the screen shot, to the size of yours. You can then place it on the wall right over your switch plate, and then you have accurate size of the intercom as well as accurate distance placement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take your screen shot and enlarge it on a printer. Enlarge to get the light switch plate in the screen shot, to the size of yours. You can then place it on the wall right over your switch plate, and then you have accurate size of the intercom as well as accurate distance placement.

Genius! Thank you sir

Also, when pulling up reference images, Hulu's replica of Seinfeld's apartment came up.

It blows my mind that they couldn't recreate something this simple - especially mislabeling the TALK and DOOR buttons on the intercom. Not only did they swap sides, they labeled them TALK and BUZZ...

Screen Shot 2017-02-22 at 10.52.48 AM.png

Moviefreak thanks again, I got the size spot on.

Does anyone have suggestions for taking the shine down on this brass plate? Acetone maybe? I'd like to dull it down before I add weathering/grime.

I bought a brass aging solution, but it had no effect since my brass plate was actually an alloy.

IMG_4223.JPG IMG_4224.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
If it has a coating then probably lacquer thinner. If it's bare metal then you'll have to go at it with fine steel wool.

-Rog

@Moviefreak - The aging solution still didn't work, so I hit it with some black acrylic paint mixed with water. I'm pretty happy with the results.

And the intercom is finished!

Here are some deets from my build:
-The brass aging was done with a few rounds of black wash that were wiped up with wet cotton balls and paper towels.
-I casted real screws to make some resin screw heads. Painted them with a mix of gold and black acrylic paints.
-I had the "DOOR" & "TALK" labels made.
-The buttons are off the shelf from eBay.
-The speaker screen was made with cinefoil. I'm not thrilled with the look, so I might update this piece in the future.

FullSizeRender 3.jpg FullSizeRender 2.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_4214.JPG IMG_4226.JPG IMG_4243.JPG

And a side by side:
Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 1.49.00 PM.png

Attachments

• IMG_4278.JPG
    IMG_4278.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 224
  • IMG_4276.JPG
    IMG_4276.JPG
    868.2 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_4275.JPG
    IMG_4275.JPG
    664.5 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Right on. Post it here when you finish.
I will, it's getting close, just waiting on the push button switches and the TALK / DOOR labels. For the speak grill I'm going to use 3.5" round drink coasters spray painted flat black. But I keep experimenting with the speaker grill.

I will, it's getting close, just waiting on the push button switches and the TALK / DOOR labels. For the speak grill I'm going to use 3.5" round drink coasters spray painted flat black. But I keep experimenting with the speaker grill.
The speaker grill was the one thing I wasn't happy with on mine. I searched ebay high and low for speaker covers and couldn't find a good match. Looking forward to seeing yours!

I've done the same, and the only thing I can surmise is that the Seinfeld intercom was never based on an actual apartment door buzzer. So the speaker grill was just the product of a prop guys imagination.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back