'Sculpting a Galaxy' booksigning & screening

GKvfx

Sr Member
OK, I'm organizing a little event some of you might be interested in if you happen to live in the Los Angeles area. The 'official' release looks something like this -

The Visual Effects Society, Insight Editions, and Lucasfilm are teaming up to host a special event to celebrate the release of Lorne Peterson's new book "Sculpting a Galaxy: Inside the STAR WARS Modelshop."

Lorne Peterson will be presenting a special 'behind the scenes' look at the ILM modelshop and be signing copies of the book. In addition, the Visual Effects Society is arranging an exhibit of photos and models representing the history of the STAR WARS saga. Thirty years ago, STAR WARS took the world by storm and changed the way films are made and marketed. It also ushered in a new age in the creation of visual effects. The Visual Effects Society is pleased to be participating in this event.

The booksigning will be held at the Every Picture Tells a Story Gallery and Bookstore located at 1311-C Montana Ave, Santa Monica, Ca., on Saturday December 9th beginning at 6pm.

Immediately after the booksigning, join us across the street at the American Cinematheque's Aero Theatre for a special screening of STAR WARS: Episode IV A New Hope on the BIG screen. Lorne will introduce and hold a Q&A session before the screening. Again, there will another display of photos, artwork, and models in the lobby courtesy of the Visual Effects Society and Lucasfilm. The Aero Theatre is located at 1328 Montana Ave (corner of 14th & Montana) and is directly across the street from the Every Picture Tells a Story gallery. The screening will begin at 7:30pm for those who only wish to see the movie.

www.everypicture.com
www.aerothetre.com
www.visualeffectssociety.com

Basically, the VES is made up of people who work in the field of Visual Effects and we wanted to put on some sort of event to support Lorne and the new book. The gallery is a neat place that specializes in original artwork from children's books as well as litho's from other artists like the Hildebrandts. They also have hosted a bunch of Ray Harryhausen booksignings and sell lithos of his pre-production artwork.

Lorne discovered that there were a whole bunch of photos that, for one reason or another, couldn't make it into the book. Some of them wound up on the DVD that is in the Limited Edition. So, we are going to do some kind of PowerPoint presentation along with a little lecture / Q and A session at the gallery. And of course, he'll sign the books.

Lucasfilm got behind this as well. They agreed to loan us a print of STAR WARS for the screening and have sent down a bunch of photos to display in the gallery and lobby of the theatre (most of which I've never seen, and I've been looking at Star Wars books since day one........). Combine that with some pretty cool looking replicas that we've added to the display...... well, I think it's going to be a really unique event.

We are still working out some of the details and I'll update this with more info as we get closer to the event.

Hope to see some RPF'ers out there.

GK

Gene,

Hope to be there Sat morning. Still working out some deals to leave from Vegas and meet up with you Friday night or Early Sat morning. Shold be a blast.

Here are the adds.

203688100.jpg

203688092.jpg

Barry,

Gene has contacted MR about having a Falcon there but noone has gotten back with him. Can you see what you can do? I'm going to have the asteriod Damaged ESB TIE and maybe a ANH version for display. The book covers all the movies so.. I'm going to do my darnest to get there.

Steve

Gene,

Check your PMs.

Barry

PS Just talked with Bryan. We'll supply a Falcon for display that night. Check your PMs AGAIN for my contact info.

Just spoke to Barry and yes, MR will have a Falcon there for us to drool over.

Very cool.

MR rocks (but I think we kinda knew that.......)

Thanks Barry.

GK

I agree, PLEASE post some pics of the exhibits at this event. I wish I could be stateside to attend.
Have fun everyone.

Chris

<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Nov 11 2006, 05:43 PM) [snapback]1355493[/snapback]</div>
Pics will be taken if permitted.

Barry -- awesome contribution to an awesome event.
[/b]

You kidding? I'm so looking forward to it. You should bring along your FM Falcon.

Barry

<div class='quotetop'>(Barry @ Nov 11 2006, 05:57 PM) [snapback]1355498[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(PHArchivist @ Nov 11 2006, 05:43 PM) [snapback]1355493[/snapback]
Pics will be taken if permitted.

Barry -- awesome contribution to an awesome event.
[/b]

You kidding? I'm so looking forward to it. You should bring along your FM Falcon.

Barry
[/b][/quote]

I thought about that. And at least the top side should be done by then. I think QuartZ will be there to....

Maybe Lorne could come to Orlando, too... Can he hear me? (in hypnotic, monotonous voice) Orlando.... Orlando...

<div class='quotetop'>(GKvfx @ Nov 9 2006, 08:37 PM) [snapback]1354347[/snapback]</div>
The booksigning will be held at the Every Picture Tells a Story Gallery and Bookstore located at 1311-C Montana Ave, Santa Monica, Ca., on Saturday December 9th beginning at 6pm.

Immediately after the booksigning, join us across the street at the American Cinematheque's Aero Theatre for a special screening of STAR WARS: Episode IV A New Hope on the BIG screen. Lorne will introduce and hold a Q&A session before the screening. Again, there will another display of photos, artwork, and models in the lobby courtesy of the Visual Effects Society and Lucasfilm. The Aero Theatre is located at 1328 Montana Ave (corner of 14th & Montana) and is directly across the street from the Every Picture Tells a Story gallery. The screening will begin at 7:30pm for those who only wish to see the movie.

[/b]

Bold added

For those involved in this (or close to it), is it possible to get just a tad more logistical detail on the schedule of the evening?

Specifically, will the Q&A start at 7:30, or will it be BEFORE (for example at 7:00), with 7:30 being a prompt showtime?

Any idea how ong the Q&A will e (besides "not long enough.")...?

Still working out the details, but generally speaking:

The idea was to have about a 30 minute presentation at the gallery, followed by and hour or so of booksigning.

The Q&A at the screening will begin around 7:30 (before the show) and won't feature any type of PowerPoint presentation and will probably run about 20 minutes or so - we'll see how it goes. Too long and the non-RPF portion of the audience gets fidgetty.

Hey, as far as I'm concerned, I could sit through a 10 hour Q&A session, but we have to be practical.

That's the plan now. Most of the screenings usually start late, especially if there is a huge crowd. My goal is to have the gallery set up with whatever we are going to have by the early afternoon to allow people to see it before the crowds show up (we should be so lucky.....). Similarly, the theatre will also start letting people in in advance, just to keep the popcorn line managable. (We had to start a Raiders of the Lost Ark screening 30 minutes late because we had 100 people in line for popcorn.)

The good thing is the neighborhood is really nice and there is plenty of non-Star Wars stuff to do if you are bringing a significant other that doesn't share your obsession. Plenty of coffee shops and good places to eat. Stuff like that. Show up early, look around, hang out.

Will keep you updated.

GK

Cool GK -- so the Q&A will wrap sometime between 7:30 and 8:00 (roughly)...?

I have a conflicting engagement (company holiday party) at the Huntington Beach Hyatt from 6:00 to midnight... I'm trying to work both out.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back